No announcement yet.

So, why men won't lift weights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that there's a bit of an overobsession with 'vanity muscle' on this here forum here.

I don't lift weights atm, even when my work has a free gym I can use. In fact I barely get any exercise, maybe some bodyweight squats and pushups when I feel like it.

I think that's far less important than good sleep or eating the right foods.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
      I think that there's a bit of an overobsession with 'vanity muscle' on this here forum here.

I don't lift weights atm, even when my work has a free gym I can use. In fact I barely get any exercise, maybe some bodyweight squats and pushups when I feel like it.

I think that's far less important than good sleep or eating the right foods.
      I don't think there's an obsession here with vanity muscle, as you put it. I think there's a blowback from a lot members here against the skinny jean culture of the modern man - one perfectly content on being weak. A weak man looks less like a man, it's as simple as that. I don't give a shit about abs and biceps, but I like looking like a man, not like a tall child.

I think physical exercise is more important than diet. The most perfect diet without any physical training will make you weak and out of shape.

Comment

• You can 'look like a man' without ever having a gym membership or lifting weights.

I think physical exercise is more important than diet.
        I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. I think that diet is ~80% of health. With sleep/stress/exercise et al making up the rest.
        Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
        5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
        Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
        TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
        bloodorchid is always right

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          And Knifegill, whatever happened to your big rock?
          It's in the yard. I pick it up every time I have to open our barn doors, since it's our doorstop.
          Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

• Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
            You can 'look like a man' without ever having a gym membership or lifting weights.
            Yeah, and some people are lean with a diet of soda and Twix bars. Point is, the vast majority of men who don't strength train fall somewhere between scrawny and fat, i.e. low muscle mass, i.e. weak.

Originally posted by magicmerl View Post
            I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. I think that diet is ~80% of health. With sleep/stress/exercise et al making up the rest.
            I'm not taking about health. All the diet in the world, without physical training, will leave you weak and out of shape. As you age, you will become even weaker, and even more out of shape. Why do you think most old people have trouble with basic physical tasks? It's not because they're not eating enough fats, or because they're low on vitamins - it's because their bodies are too weak. You have to maintain your body in top shape for good health, and strength is the most important attribute.

Comment

• wow, a thread rife with all sorts of gender shaming.

reality is, people have different interests regardless of gender.

some people prefer to just be as they are rather than work out. this means, usually, that they have general fitness. i know a lot of "hipsters" who wear skinny jeans and the like. these men (and women) rarely work out. they might do yoga or pilates, at most, but they usually walk and cycle for their transportation, and since most of them are artists, they often spend time moving and building things to go with whatever it is that they are up to.

so in a way, it's simple, basic, and functional fitness. the rest of their time is spent experiencing whatever they want to experience - and i think that's just fine. it's none of my business. and i don't think it makes anyone more/less masculine/feminine or whatever cis-gender bias you want to apply to it.

my husband happens to love lifting. he has since i met him. not lifting equals sadness. for me, it comes and goes. sometimes i want to, sometimes I don't. but i do my yoga, and now my pilates and postural work, and I walk. i was doing parkour for a bit with th ekid, but our schedule changed and that's not possible now. the kid does archery -- as well as yoga, and runs around like a madman and loves to build things of all sizes. he's good at moving things around (heavy objects). the main thing so me is that each of us is happy and healthy. none of these decisions makes us more or less feminine, masculine, or whatever.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slacker62 View Post
                I wish this hadn't been the first thread I came across after signing up here yesterday. I was born with a congenital heart defect which prohibits me from lifting anything over fifty pounds, including my own bodyweight. I really want to embrace the paleo/primal lifestyle but after reading some of the posts in this thread it sounds like I'll never be considered anything but a big fat wimp with lots of excuses.
                Go make a post in the Starting Strength Coaches forum specifically addressing Dr. Sullivan. He's done a lot of research into what is and isn't safe with regards to these types of issues, and the commonly given advice isn't always right.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I'm blown away by their recent Brian Jones article. The man was told by doctors he'd never walk again and would have to live with hardware screwed into both legs. Not only did he go on to walk again, he lifts incredible amounts of weight and managed to build so much bone density doing so that it pushed the pins out of his leg. Had to have all the hardware removed. Now THERE'S a reason to stop listening to doctors! They have no idea how to build strong bones and a healthy body. All they can do is put pieces back together.

I find this thread kind of funny. Men love to come on here now and then to complain about women who are afraid of being bulky but they don't realize they are just as hung up on bulk as anybody.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rojo View Post
                    Like all those nancys in uniform in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Give me a break, since the dawn of time people have been calling the newest generation of men "sissies". Give it a rest. Or enlist.
                    So if I decide to risk my life on a pointless war it makes me more manly? It seems to go against my self-preservation instinct. I don't think Grok would be volunteering to risk his life for nothing.
                    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

I'm blown away by their recent Brian Jones article. The man was told by doctors he'd never walk again and would have to live with hardware screwed into both legs. Not only did he go on to walk again, he lifts incredible amounts of weight and managed to build so much bone density doing so that it pushed the pins out of his leg. Had to have all the hardware removed. Now THERE'S a reason to stop listening to doctors! They have no idea how to build strong bones and a healthy body. All they can do is put pieces back together.
                      A reason to stop listening to doctors and get under some iron. No doubt Brian's a man. A sweet man, but not a pussy.

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      I find this thread kind of funny. Men love to come on here now and then to complain about women who are afraid of being bulky but they don't realize they are just as hung up on bulk as anybody.
                      Bulk is an artifact of strength. Strength is a virtue. Men should be at least reasonably strong. Women should too. Don't know if you meant me, but I'm fine with being called "hung up" on whatever you want. I just refuse to see frailty as a virtue.

Good thing for Brian Jones that he does too. Most of us will never have to overcome the obstacles of the magnitude Brian did. But on a much lesser level, mostly all of us are/were in the same boat. Detrained, or just plain less capable than we could and should be. And I refuse to pat the little snowflakes on the head and tell them it's okay to be weak and useless when you have a choice.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I try to lift 1 to 3 times per week. I guess I have a fear of people. Anthrophobia? I start to feel uncomfortable with 3 or more people near me. Doesn't matter if they are young, old, male, female, family, or friends. The more there are around the greater the urge to leave or bolt. I was at the ymca earlier this week to lift weights there were a number of people in the weight room. I had to go to another room and instead did sprints on an exercise bike. Sometimes the cardio room has a number in there and I go to the weight room. I went back yesterday in the afternoon and there were 4 people there and I was able to get through it. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will be able to get another set in for the week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rags View Post
                          I try to lift 1 to 3 times per week. I guess I have a fear of people. Anthrophobia? I start to feel uncomfortable with 3 or more people near me. Doesn't matter if they are young, old, male, female, family, or friends. The more there are around the greater the urge to leave or bolt. I was at the ymca earlier this week to lift weights there were a number of people in the weight room. I had to go to another room and instead did sprints on an exercise bike. Sometimes the cardio room has a number in there and I go to the weight room. I went back yesterday in the afternoon and there were 4 people there and I was able to get through it. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I will be able to get another set in for the week.
                          Yet another way the iron gives you the opportunity to make yourself stronger.
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• So if I decide to risk my life on a pointless war it makes me more manly? It seems to go against my self-preservation instinct. I don't think Grok would be volunteering to risk his life for nothing.
                            x2. War is just a convenient way to dispose of poor people. I have empathy for people who were bamboozled into signing up and thrown out like old trash when they were done. But, seriously, any casual anthropologist or historian can see the obvious truth. If war were about the thing we are told it's about, the presidents would battle to the death, not send thousands of poor people to kill each other and see who loses worse. Often, both countries think they won, anyway. It's a joke. A tragic, evil, sad joke.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

sbhikes, it's not a matter of size, it's a matter of performance (that's what she said). I'm not a bodybuilder. I am not concerned with getting big/huge/having giant muscles. I am concerned with strength. That said, it's impossible to gain a lot of strength without gaining muscle, and consequently size, or "bulk" as you call it. When I'm talking about looking like a man, I simply mean being strong like a man should be, and a strong man who is 6 foot tall cannot weigh 140lb.

Comment

• Okay I think I got it ..... man must be strong, not strong not man.
                                Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Working...
                                X