So, why men won't lift weights?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
    Don't mean to hurt your feelings, but, I don't want your brown body paint, I like my white skin

I guess what makes a man a man is lifting weights, eh? Nothing else.

I tried lifting, it was boring as hell, and incoming excuse: but it's a lot harder for someone 6'3 with hyperthyroidism to put on mass than it is for someone 5'6. Short of roiding, or eating massive excesses of calories, it's impossible for me to gain considerable mass.

That said, despite being really light, I'm not really that weak. My legs are strong, as are my shoulders, and chest, and this morning for you Rich, I did 30 pullups and chinups.
    I can guarantee those are the most non-strict pullups and chinups ever. My brother is one of the more weaker humans I know, but he can bang out tons of chinups, pullups... hell he can even do muscleups. It is all relative to bodyweight, and that is the main reason I have an issue with bodyweight exercises. If a muscle up = strong indicator of general strength, then why can my 6'2 152lb brother perform them when he can't squat 175lbs for a rep?

You are so full of excuses it is hilarious. Have you even attempted to put on mass? Nobody here said that what makes a man is lifting weights, but it certainly plays a part in being one. Again, could you save someone from a burning building? Or would you have to get the help of a real man. It really is simple, and I find it hilarious you are arguing against it.

Comment

• Funny thread! Somebody ask one of the SS fanboys to show his gunz and he come up with a SQUAT, LOL...
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

• Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
        Funny thread! Somebody ask one of the SS fanboys to show his gunz and he come up with a SQUAT, LOL...
        I like it better when Cori trolls me.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          I know you do. That was the joke.
          Well, I'll take the thong instead then.

Being capable is part of what makes a man. Lifting weights is an extremely efficient way to get capable.
          Hypotheticals?

I thought you ate 10,000 kCal worth of sugar a day?

It's not that easy for me to put on mass either. I have to work damn hard and eat a lot more than I want to to make any kind of gains. And nothing about my mass is "considerable." Yet.

Everybody doesn't need to be a powerlifting champion. But a man should be able to carry a friend out of a burning building (to re-state an earlier example) if he has to. Remove a stuck lug nut. Carry all the groceries in from the car in one trip. That kind of stuff. Lifting isn't the only way to get there, but it's the most efficient.
          I wish, but I don't have a disposable income to eat that much food every day. Sugar does nothing to help me gain weight, either way.

Should be able to? But, why? I guess more hypothetical scenarios? Adrenaline is a very powerful fight or flight hormone, and, most of my friends are light too, so, I have no doubts I could carry them. And, dude, I don't have that many arms to carry in all my groceries.

No one is going to look to me to do anything that requires intensive strength, they just look to me in other ways. I'm fine with this, it's working together in all our various strength and weaknesses that unites us as social creatures.

The only excuse I really have or need is that I just don't want to do it. Assuming the need arises, maybe I'll consider it. For now, I'm happy just running really fast and exercising my brain.
          Make America Great Again

Comment

• Originally posted by dabears View Post
            I can guarantee those are the most non-strict pullups and chinups ever. My brother is one of the more weaker humans I know, but he can bang out tons of chinups, pullups... hell he can even do muscleups. It is all relative to bodyweight, and that is the main reason I have an issue with bodyweight exercises. If a muscle up = strong indicator of general strength, then why can my 6'2 152lb brother perform them when he can't squat 175lbs for a rep?

You are so full of excuses it is hilarious. Have you even attempted to put on mass? Nobody here said that what makes a man is lifting weights, but it certainly plays a part in being one. Again, could you save someone from a burning building? Or would you have to get the help of a real man. It really is simple, and I find it hilarious you are arguing against it.
            Yes I have. If I can lift myself, I could lift someone else of similar size if I put my whole body into it and have proper form when holding them. I'm not arguing against it, I'm arguing against myself doing it. You can do what you want.
            Make America Great Again

Comment

but it's a lot harder for someone 6'3 with hyperthyroidism to put on mass than it is for someone 5'6.
              How much do you weigh? I consider myself to have very little mass at 6'2" 160lbs.
              The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

Yes I have. If I can lift myself, I could lift someone else of similar size if I put my whole body into it and have proper form when holding them. I'm not arguing against it, I'm arguing against myself doing it. You can do what you want.
                give it a shot and let me know how that works out for you

Comment

give it a shot and let me know how that works out for you
                  Do you believe that you could "lift someone else of similar size if [you] put [your] whole body into it and have proper form when holding them"?

My wife, who weighs under 100lbs, could lift someone of similar size. You only have to be Arnold if you need to lift Arnold.

Comment

• Originally posted by aliphian View Post
                    Do you believe that you could "lift someone else of similar size if [you] put [your] whole body into it and have proper form when holding them"?

My wife, who weighs under 100lbs, could lift someone of similar size. You only have to be Arnold if you need to lift Arnold.
                    with ease. considering I have a raw 2.25x bodyweight deadlift, I could lift someone of greater size as well.

Comment

Yeah, the "of similar size" part makes for kind of a silly standard. Could you drag/carry most non-elephantine people out of a burning building?
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I could lift someone of greater size as well.
                        That's a far more important fact. Especially when you're a little guy like me or Derp.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• I have a question that I believe fits this thread. What would you do in my situation...

I have never really lifted before. I've done a round of P90x with resistance bands, but I've never actually pumped iron. I am convinced of the benefits of deadlifts and squats but where do I begin?

I am a member of a rock climbing gym. I go there to climb. There is however a complete weight room. Unfortunately, I have no spotter. Aside from having no spotter, I have never done these lifts before. How am I supposed to spot myself and check my own form? Do I even need a spotter on a squat rack (knowing that I have never performed these movements before)?

What would you guys do? Currently I rely on bodyweight exercises just for ease of use. I do tons of pull/chin-ups and pushups but I really want to step it up. And yes, I know, my n00b is showing.

Comment

I have a question that I believe fits this thread. What would you do in my situation...

I have never really lifted before. I've done a round of P90x with resistance bands, but I've never actually pumped iron. I am convinced of the benefits of deadlifts and squats but where do I begin?

I am a member of a rock climbing gym. I go there to climb. There is however a complete weight room. Unfortunately, I have no spotter. Aside from having no spotter, I have never done these lifts before. How am I supposed to spot myself and check my own form? Do I even need a spotter on a squat rack (knowing that I have never performed these movements before)?

What would you guys do? Currently I rely on bodyweight exercises just for ease of use. I do tons of pull/chin-ups and pushups but I really want to step it up. And yes, I know, my n00b is showing.
                            1. Read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
                            2. Go to the gym and practice doing the lifts.
                            3. Record every lift on video.
                            4. Post video of said lifts to the Starting Strength forum and ask for form feedback.
                            5. Go back to gym and incorporate the feedback.
                            6. Record every lift on video.
                            7. Post video on the forum again and ask for more feedback.
                            8. Repeat steps 5-7 until form is pretty good.
                            9. Go back to gym and train, adding a little bit of weight every time.
                            10. Repeat step 9 until you're strong enough.

Comment

I have a question that I believe fits this thread. What would you do in my situation...

First thing: It was everybody's first day once. Everybody. Schwarzenneger. Benedikt Magnusson. Andy Bolton. All had a first day. Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.

Second thing: Buy Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition. Get a video camera. Post frequent form checks as you move up in weight. You will start light enough not to need spotting and get good enough by the time you have enough weight on the bar to get nervous.

When you need spotters, ask someone in the gym, but be very explicit that they are NOT TO TOUCH THE BAR unless you ask them to or lose consciousness. By then, you'll know when you need them.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

• Originally posted by quikky View Post
                                1. Read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.
                                2. Go to the gym and practice doing the lifts.
                                3. Record every lift on video.
                                4. Post video of said lifts to the Starting Strength forum and ask for form feedback.
                                5. Go back to gym and incorporate the feedback.
                                6. Record every lift on video.
                                7. Post video on the forum again and ask for more feedback.
                                8. Repeat steps 5-7 until form is pretty good.
                                9. Go back to gym and train, adding a little bit of weight every time.
                                10. Repeat step 9 until you're strong enough.
                                Ha ha. We think alike. Cross-posted.
                                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                                X