No announcement yet.

SimpleFit: Excellent Primal Workout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started these today at L1D1 and did 19 rounds in 20 minutes. A little disappointing, but I have to remind myself that I have come from a completely sedentary, no-exercise lifestyle. So onward I soldier!

Comment

I started this today L1D1 and ended with 40 rounds. I know I could move up but I want to start from the bottom just to see what level I eventually get stuck at for a while.
      Do you think doing some kettlebell work on the off days might be overdoing it?

Comment

Thanks for this. I did L1D1 as a fitness test. I cleared 36 rounds. Though probably 35, my form in the 36th round was sh*t. I will be starting this on Monday. Today was just a test. i think I could have done more rounds, but since I struggle with Pull-ups, I did the inverted rows instead, and you have to do 3 for every 1 pull-up. so that ate my time, and effort. But this looks good. Starting Monday i will be giving this a try. And my summer session in school starts June 1st so I'll be back to walking 8 miles a day 3 days a week on top of that. I've set myself a 30Lb goal for the summer. (Don't worry, I'm not actually watching weight, I am focusing on strength and inches.)
        Not done yet...

Comment

Originally posted by jedward2 View Post
          Do you use any other workouts besides simplefit?
          Nope.
          (I am getting asked this question a lot!)

Comment

Originally posted by soonerfan90 View Post
            I started this today L1D1 and ended with 40 rounds. I know I could move up but I want to start from the bottom just to see what level I eventually get stuck at for a while.
            Do you think doing some kettlebell work on the off days might be overdoing it?
            40 rounds means you started lower than you could have, but there's no harm in it. (Although you might be sore tomorrow!)

I am always wary of telling people what to do, so take my advice with a grain of salt: since you're starting a new program, why not give it a go on its own and see how you like the results. On the other hand, if you're already doing KB workouts and you want to add SF to the mix, go right ahead. Just pay attention to your body. Pushing yourself is good. Hurting yourself is not.
            Last edited by cheapo; 05-26-2010, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by magnus84 View Post
              Thanks for this. I did L1D1 as a fitness test. I cleared 36 rounds. Though probably 35, my form in the 36th round was sh*t. I will be starting this on Monday. Today was just a test. i think I could have done more rounds, but since I struggle with Pull-ups, I did the inverted rows instead, and you have to do 3 for every 1 pull-up. so that ate my time, and effort. But this looks good. Starting Monday i will be giving this a try. And my summer session in school starts June 1st so I'll be back to walking 8 miles a day 3 days a week on top of that. I've set myself a 30Lb goal for the summer. (Don't worry, I'm not actually watching weight, I am focusing on strength and inches.)
              Normally I'd say 36 rounds means you started at a lower level than you could have, however if you can't do pull-ups, Level 1 is the place to be.

Be sure to try some of the assisted pull-up forms. You can use elastic training bands, or do jumping pull-ups, or have a spotter give you a boost. If your gym has a Gravitron, use it. You can even do negatives. Keep trying. Once you get one, the rest come much more quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                I got off work early today, went home for lunch, but decided to work out instead. I didn't know what I was going to do, but then I remembered this thread! I decided to start at level 4 and do the endurance workout.

I ended up doing 25 rounds in 20 minutes, of 2 chins, 4 pushups, and 6 squats.
                You started at the right level. When I can manage 27-30 rounds on Day 1, that means I should be able to beat Day 3. You managed 25, so maybe you'll vanquish Day 3 this week, or maybe it'll take another week or two!

I felt like I was starting too easy after a few rounds, but I was pretty gassed by the 15-16 minute mark. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that, but what the hell, it'll give me more motivation to trounce those numbers in the coming weeks.

As time was winding down I planned on getting about 22-23 rounds, but I had a bit of an energy rush and hustled the last 2 sets to get 25 with a few seconds to spare. Man was I spent!
                The psychology of it is half the fun/battle.

Awesome, simple little workout. 20 minutes is nothing, too. I can get as lazy as anyone at times, but it's pretty hard to say that you didn't have 20 friggin' minutes free at some point in the day. I think I'm going to keep this up along with the daily hikes for a while.
                Exactly.

Thanks again for posting this, man!
                My pleasure. I am elated at the positive responses this thread has generated.

Comment

I've been working with the program for a few weeks now and I love it! There are a few tweaks I am making, though. For me, the day 1 portion is harder than days 2 and 3. I am currently working level 5 and I can get about 20 rounds in. However, day 2 is a piece of cake. I don't feel too out of breath and I don't struggle completing any of the last reps through the last set. I am only resting 1 minute between sets. Also getting a pretty low time on day 3.

I started to sub in dips for day 2 and this feels right. Since day 2 is called "strength" I figure it would be perfect to use a more strenuous exercise at lower reps. I'm playing with the number of reps, but it felt pretty good today. 5 rounds of: 5 pullups, 7 dips, 26 squats. I'm also thinking of using weighted pullups/chins on day 2 because those didn't present a problem either. Maybe reduce the number to 2 or 3 with the extra weight.

Anyone else done something like this? Any comments are welcome.

Comment

Great post!

I'll stick with crossfit, but I love the idea of simplefit and will definitely give it a try next time I'm short on time to go to the gym. Maybe I'll take my rings camping this weekend and try it with ring pull ups.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. And yeh, I am pretty sore, especially my lats. I did skip the kettle bells today. I felt I needed to recover a bit.
                      Originally posted by cheapo View Post
                      40 rounds means you started lower than you could have, but there's no harm in it. (Although you might be sore tomorrow!)

I am always wary of telling people what to do, so take my advice with a grain of salt: since you're starting a new program, why not give it a go on its own and see how you like the results. On the other hand, if you're already doing KB workouts and you want to add SF to the mix, go right ahead. Just pay attention to your body. Pushing yourself is good. Hurting yourself is not.

Comment

The biggest issue people will have is the fact that the workout is so simple. The workout is great but you have to get into that mindset of not stopping to take rest breaks until necessary. I've been doing this for about a week and I love this. I don't have to pay for gym memberships and still get a killer workout.

When you look at it when you start you think well it's only 2 pull-ups, 4 push-ups and 4 squats so it can't be that hard but when you're close to finishing you really feel it. Most folks are used to feeling the burn right away but this does it gradually. I'm not that great on pull-ups right now due to back issues but this is something that is definitely helping. It seems to me that this is an exercise program for those who want to get into great functional shape instead of just the bulging biceps and barrel chest. Take it for its worth and alter it if you think you need to.
                        Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

Do you just take the day 3 test to see where you end up to figure out where to start?

Comment

I suppose you could.

I would just start at Level 1 or wherever you think you should.

If it is too easy for you, you'll only be there for a week.

If it it too hard, drop down a level.

The SimpleFit site says:
                            "If the workouts take longer than 30 minutes or less than 5 minutes, decrease or increase your level, respectively."
                            Spending 30 minutes on Day 3 seems a little extreme to me. I would say that if Day 3 takes more than 15 minutes, you should drop down a level. This is based on the fact that all of my Day 3 times have been below 15 minutes. Your experience may vary.
                            Last edited by cheapo; 05-27-2010, 09:52 AM.

Comment

My wife and I did this yesterday to change up our workout routine. We've been doing the 100 pushups program, so well try doing this one on alternate days or just do this in its place. Not sure though since, I only have 2 more weeks in that program and really wanted to hit that 100 consecutive.
                              My wife started on LVL1 and got 26 rounds. She's 23wk preggo, so i think that's pretty good. She will most likely do a substitute in place of the pull-ups on higher levels. I don't think it's her back muscles, but more she says her grip just isn't there to do pull-ups anymore.
                              I started on LVL3 with 25 rounds. Probably could have done more, but it's hard to get the timing down with only one pull up bar.
                              The workout reminds me of the Crazy 8 we used to do, but with only simple movements.
                              It's fun and thanks for sharing it Cheapo.

Comment

Did Level 2 again today and I'm feeling it. 30 sets which came out to be

45 Pull-ups
                                75 Push-ups
                                120 squats
                                Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

Working...
                                X