No announcement yet.

SimpleFit: Excellent Primal Workout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will not advise shoulder exercises for someone with a shoulder injury—I'm not qualified!
    You could try it with the body rows, but PAY ATTENTION to how you feel!

If getting toned and speeding up your metabolism is what you're after, I would think you could skip pull-ups and pull-up substitutions all together, and throw in any exercise you like—as long as on Day 1, you get the HGH Flush!

Comment

• Cheapo,

Thanks for the thread. I too have some shoulder problems from years of tennis and pullups are a problem. If I substituted crunches, would that work IYO? Any other substitution ideas?

Comment

• I've been getting a little bored with PBF, so today I tried SimpleFit: L3D1. My PR's are 16 pullups and 35 pushups, so L3 seemed like a good place to start. I wanted to avoid the nausea that sometimes hits me when I do circuit training, so I held back my pace a bit. I did 28 rounds of 2/3/5 pullups/pushups/squats. My heart was really pumping, and even though I was pacing myself I noticed some uncharacteristic sweat on my brow by the end.

Bottom line: I thought it was fun and I plan on sticking with it for as long as it holds my interest. Thanks to the OP for posting this thread and getting me curious enough to try out SimpleFit.

A couple questions:

1) Does anyone feel that the overhead press (ala PBF) is important enough to be added into the SimpleFit equation (or incorporated elsewhere in my bodyweight regimen)? I don't want to miss any important muscles, and I'm unsure of how much overlap there is between the overhead press and pushups.

2) I switched between overhand (pullup) and underhand (chinup) grips for each round. I'm also considering mixing parallel grip and wide grip pullups in there. Is this going to dilute the intended effect of the training (endurance & strength) too much? I really like the variety of the different grips, and I want balanced strength and physique. My gut tells me to not worry about it and add variety to keep things interesting.

3) Assuming it's OK to mix up grip types (on D1 and D2), I wonder which grip I should use for D3? Would it be considered cheating if I did 10 pullups followed by 6 chinups, and counted that as my 16?

4) Basically the same questions as 2) and 3), but with pushups. I like to do shoulder width, wide width, and narrow/triangle pushups.

Comment

• Just wanted to mention that my pull ups have improved a lot in the past 3+ weeks of doing simplefit. I was doing 1 real pull up for every 10+ chin ups. I just finished L3 and was doing all 'real' (palms away) pull ups for days 1 and 2, and about half chin ups half pull ups on day 3. VERY exciting!

Big L, I'm a newbie to simplefit, but just wanted to mention I do add in overhead press stuff--I do handstands (against the wall) when I'm done w/ my SF workout, or whenever I can (sometimes during yoga practice). I usually try to hold it for the recommended amount of time as in PBF (a minute and a half I think?) (I also happen to do lots of planks as well because I practice a lot of vinyasa flow yoga--planks are all over the place there--more often transitional than held for minutes at a time, but I feel they 'count'.) I'm sure you could reach a point of great fitness for yourself w/out those aspects and w/ simplefit alone, but just wanted to share what I do.
          My Before/After Pics
          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

• FairyRae -

Congratulations on your success! It sounds like you're making measurable progress in the areas that matter to you. And that's what counts the most.

As for me, I'm a little unsure about the pull-up vs chin-up issue. It seems to be the case that pull-ups are harder for most people than are chin-ups. To the extent that doing chin-ups helps people attain more success with pull-ups, I understand why they have a mentality of "I'm doing chin-ups now, but I'm graduating/moving on/advancing to pull-ups". However, I don't see chin-ups as inferior to pull-ups, so I don't plan to remove them from my workouts just because I can do a lot of pull-ups. Ideally my max-reps for each would be about the same. Unless that resulted in a bizarrely imbalanced physique.

Like you, I think I'll keep the overhead press in my workout. One of my goals is to be able to unassisted handstands and handstand push-ups, and I don't think I'll be able to get there without practicing...handstands.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big L View Post
              FairyRae -

Congratulations on your success! It sounds like you're making measurable progress in the areas that matter to you. And that's what counts the most.

As for me, I'm a little unsure about the pull-up vs chin-up issue. It seems to be the case that pull-ups are harder for most people than are chin-ups. To the extent that doing chin-ups helps people attain more success with pull-ups, I understand why they have a mentality of "I'm doing chin-ups now, but I'm graduating/moving on/advancing to pull-ups". However, I don't see chin-ups as inferior to pull-ups, so I don't plan to remove them from my workouts just because I can do a lot of pull-ups. Ideally my max-reps for each would be about the same. Unless that resulted in a bizarrely imbalanced physique.

Like you, I think I'll keep the overhead press in my workout. One of my goals is to be able to unassisted handstands and handstand push-ups, and I don't think I'll be able to get there without practicing...handstands.
              Thank you! Yeah--I totally don't plan on ditching the chin ups--mine are just SO MUCH STRONGER than my pull ups that I really want to work on the latter, to become more in balance, you know? I agree w/ the ideal of max reps being equal. I'm really not anywhere near there at the moment (i can still do many more chin ups than pull ups), but on my way! I'm also working on my handstands--would love to balance in the center of the room--one of my many goals. Have you seen Al Kavadlo's free standing handstand tutorial? You may find it helpful/interesting: http://www.alkavadlo.com/2010/12/the...ing-handstand/ I'm also interested in checking out Convict Conditioning--supposedly a very useful progression of how to get there (as well as multiple other advanced bodyweight feats).

All this stuff is so exciting! I love how I can see/feel/experience my progress as its happening! And just totally digging simplefit (its totally working for me)--and I even have my husband (who seriously did nothing before this) into it. He's stuck it out for at least 2 weeks now, which is HUGE. I'm sure it's because its fast and simple, and not boring. YAY!!!

ETA: You may also enjoy this anusara yoga handstand article: http://www.somuchkula.com/poses/level1/L1-handstand.php Instruction from an anusara teacher helped me to get my handstand feeling just *right*. I was doing them before (wall assisted as well) but last week went to a random anusara class and one small direction changed everything in it. Feeling much better about them right now. Just wanted to add that!!
              Last edited by FairyRae; 02-22-2011, 07:42 PM.
              My Before/After Pics
              Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Comment

• Great stuff here. Had my first one today and it totally kicked my butt!

Comment

• Ok, week 1 of SF is under my belt. Level 3 went like this for me:

Day 1: paced myself and did 28 rounds
                  Day 2: paced myself and did 5 rounds in 3:35, added a 6th to make it 4:10. Do I get extra credit??
                  Day 3: Judgment day! It took 2:50.

So I guess I started on a level that's a little low for me. No biggie. It's probably a good idea anyway to get my body used to the increase in rep volume.

Right now it feels fairly easy (but still a nice workout); however, I think the difficulty will quickly ratchet up as I progress to higher levels. I'll withhold further observations on SF until I've tried a SF level that I can't easily complete in 1 week.

Great links, thank you! I had seen Al's handstand page before, and I definitely enjoyed it. As for the yoga one...I'll freely admit that my eyes glazed over a bit at the new-age vernacular on that page. However, once I managed to find the actual content, I thought it contained some really useful suggestions. Nice illustrations too.

I've become mildly obsessed (oxymoron alert: I think this means I just need to find a more appropriate word than 'obsessed' to use here) with attaining a freestanding handstand lately. And also handstand pushups. I'll definitely be referring back to those two links for inspiration!

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big L View Post
                    Great links, thank you! I had seen Al's handstand page before, and I definitely enjoyed it. As for the yoga one...I'll freely admit that my eyes glazed over a bit at the new-age vernacular on that page. However, once I managed to find the actual content, I thought it contained some really useful suggestions. Nice illustrations too.

I've become mildly obsessed (oxymoron alert: I think this means I just need to find a more appropriate word than 'obsessed' to use here) with attaining a freestanding handstand lately. And also handstand pushups. I'll definitely be referring back to those two links for inspiration!
                    Yeah, I skipped through the yoga article myself, and actually thought there was info on free standing handstands (but there isn't). If I find more on that I'll post it!

I've been reading through the Convict Conditioning table of contents for more ideas on how to progress/meet certain bodyweight goals. Here is the section on handstand pushups. Even w/out having the book, it could be helpful for *getting there*.

STEP ONE: Wall Headstands—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 230

STEP TWO: Crow Stands—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 232

STEP THREE: Wall Handstands—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 234

STEP FOUR: Half Handstand Pushups—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 236

STEP FIVE: Handstand Pushups—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 238

STEP SIX: Close Handstand Pushups—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 240

How to develop extremely powerful tendons, particularly around the elbows, forearms and wrists with close handstand pushups… Page 240

STEP SEVEN: Uneven Handstand Pushups—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 242

How to develop huge arm and shoulder power, as well as Olympian rotator cuff muscles… Page 242.

STEP EIGHT: Half One-Arm Handstand Pushups—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 244

STEP NINE: Lever Handstand Pushups—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 246

STEP TEN: One-Arm Handstand Pushups—correct performance, x-ray detail, training goals and perfecting technique… Page 248

Discover the ultimate shoulder and arm exercise… Page 248
                    Going beyond the one-arm handstand pushup… Page 252

How to embark on the art of "free" hand-balancing work, away from the guiding plane of a wall… Page 252

Marion pushups—an intense, progressive form of decline pushup… Page 254
                    Isometric presses… Page 254
                    Windmills… Page 255
                    How to hand walk… Page 255
                    Tiger bends… Page 255
                    The master of this old technique will have elbows strong as titanium axles… Page 255
                    Seems like a sweet book...
                    My Before/After Pics

Comment

• I've decided to do the simplefit program for my weight training. I started today on level 1, and did 34 reps, so maybe that level is a bit low for me, but I'll finish out the week. I did do the two substitute pullups (Australian pullups on rings we have in the basement) for the regular ones, which I'm still working up to, but my arms are definitely weak right now.

I was registering on the simplefit website, and the bot filter question was "Chicken, fish, or fowl?" I don't get it. Apparently the correct answer to that is "fowl" (got it wrong the first two times) but I don't understand why. What am I missing, here?

Comment

• It should be "Chicken: fish or foul?"

Unfortunately, there are a few typos and odd bits of formatting and phrasing that make the SimpleFit site a little confusing.

Comment

• Originally posted by cheapo View Post
                          It should be "Chicken: fish or foul?"
                          I think you mean "Chicken: fish or fowl?" A chicken is certainly not a fish, but it is definitely a fowl!

Comment

• Ah! I'm pretty sure there was a comma there. I looked at it for a while trying to figure out what the hell they were asking me. Got it.

So, after doing 70 real pushups and 70 fake pullups yesterday, I'm SORE. Which makes sense, because I've never done more than about 40 pushups at once before and hardly any pullups, fake or no, but it really didn't seem all that hard when I was doing it. I wasn't at the point of muscle failure yesterday. Sweet.

Comment

• Cool looking program! People still using this?

huntercopelandnutrition

Comment

• I'm still doing it.

I had to stop for five weeks to recover from hernia surgery, but I am back at it now.

Here's what happens when you don't do SimpleFit for five weeks:

Comparison - After Two Months of Indolence by cheapo, on Flickr
                                Last edited by cheapo; 06-08-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X