No announcement yet.

SimpleFit: Excellent Primal Workout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain the whole being 1-2 reps below failure? I'm not sure I'm understanding it correctly

Comment

• For instance... say your maximum number of clean, proper form pull-ups is 10. That means trying for 11 pull-ups would be going to failure because you cannot get to 11.

So, staying 1-2 reps below failure would mean aiming for 8-9 reps so that you never reach that threshold of failure (not completing a rep).

If I am describing something, I would make it a bit easier to understand by saying that you stay 1-2 reps below your maximum. For a max of 10, don't do more than 8 or 9.
      Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
      -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

• First day on level 2. Stayed on level 1 for a week.

D1L2: 30 rounds and very pleased doing 90 push ups with proper form but not there yet with pull ups- I still have to jump to do them but I hold it there for a couple of seconds. Can't wait for the day that I will do a full pull up

Comment

• Originally posted by Velocity View Post
          For instance... say your maximum number of clean, proper form pull-ups is 10. That means trying for 11 pull-ups would be going to failure because you cannot get to 11.

So, staying 1-2 reps below failure would mean aiming for 8-9 reps so that you never reach that threshold of failure (not completing a rep).

If I am describing something, I would make it a bit easier to understand by saying that you stay 1-2 reps below your maximum. For a max of 10, don't do more than 8 or 9.
          Ok so to clarify... Let's say that per the program regime I'm supposed to do 10 pullups 50 pushups 50 squats

And let's say I can only do 5 pullups before I hit failure... Do I stop at 5 and then rest and then complete the last 5. Or do I do just the first 5 and go straightinto the pushups and squats?

Comment

• Neither. If the maximum you can do is five, then you do 3-4. Since this is SimpleFit, you are to complete the total reps of pull-ups before moving on to pushups and squats. So, your pull-ups may look like this: 3, 3, 2, 1, 1 for a total of ten. Then you do pushups until you reach 50, and squats until you reach 50.
            Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
            -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

• Has anyone tried mixing this type of workout with a typical weightlifting workout. As much as I enjoy going to the gym and doing the basics (squat, bench press, deadlift), I want to add some bodyweight exercises to help strengthen and condition myself.

From the simplefit site, it seems that the program is designed to just be bodyweight stuff. Anyone integrate it with other workouts?
              --
              Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

Comment

• I honestly couldn't imagine adding weights in at this point. I'm wasted after doing just the simplefit stuff. The way I see it, my body doesn't know the difference between weights and body weight, its all resistance, and this kicks my ass. Maybe down the road I'll need more, but I'm seriously consistently "worked" every day of the week with this. The only day where I don't wake up with that morning feeling of being whipped with a good workout is on Sunday when I've had two days rest. I'm about to start my 8th week of it next week. So who knows, maybe it'll get easier, but I kind of hope not.

Comment

• People have for years...trainers on the web like Ross, Turbulence Training, etc., started gaining popularity (and credibility) as the crazed approach of bodybuilding hit its peak and more holistic training arose. There are a couple of SuperSlow gyms I've gone to where they work with people to get them "strong enough" to do chins, pushups (and eventually dips) with their own bodyweight in addition to the machines (such as leg presses).

Lets step back even further...Vince Gironda in the 60s, 70s and 80s advocated a combination of BW and weights in his programs. Even the Nautilus empire of the 70s/80s had BW mixed into their programs...dip/chin stations.

And a lot of the guys you see in the early black & white photos when the whole "physical culture" rage took of--Sandow, Maxick, Pandor, etc--did a combination of gymnastics and weights.

Comment

• Originally posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
                    Has anyone tried mixing this type of workout with a typical weightlifting workout. As much as I enjoy going to the gym and doing the basics (squat, bench press, deadlift), I want to add some bodyweight exercises to help strengthen and condition myself.

From the simplefit site, it seems that the program is designed to just be bodyweight stuff. Anyone integrate it with other workouts?
                    Personally, I do Simple Fit's Day 1 and Day 3, but I reserve "Day 2" for a maximal strength day and I don't do Simple Fit's Day 2.

Comment

• When I worked the gym, I used to add in bodyweight exercises to round out the program. That's the thing with this though, the intensity is so hight, I really don't "need" anything else, pretty much every part of me is getting worked. Your mileage may vary, but I've got 4 other people doing it here with me, and everyone is having the same experience. Even Friday which takes us no more than 8 minutes, wastes us for hours afterwards. Its intense. Has your experience changed Cheapo as you've kept going? We're only 2 months in, but yikes.

I'm also reminded of gymnasts, and the fact that they rarely touch a "weight" and have enviable physiques by pretty much anyone, and they are damn strong too.

Comment

• Ok, I've done 1 week of SimpleFit so far and I am really happy with it. Subbing body rows for pull-ups for now until I get better at them. I think understand the difference between kipping and deadhang pull ups from watching online videos, but is there a way to ease into a kipping pull-up? Do I need a spotter? What would be a good exercise to try so I can work up to kipping?

Thanks.
                        www.dontcallmesugar.wordpress.com

Comment

• Yes, even Day 3 (which only took me 5:44 the last time I did it) leaves me quivery for about an hour.

Comment

• Cheapo: Quivery like "i'm about to puke and die" or "do I really need my arms and legs to function today"?

I tend to get post-workout nausea when I push my heart rate up through bodyweight exercises and don't take breaks, which is the only thing holding me back from trying this.

Comment

• I tried this for the first time yesterday. Didn't feel much until I got up today! Wowza haha!

I've substituted really sissy-like body rows for pul ups (I'm suck a fricking weakling it's stupid!), and my push ups need work but still .. I feel it all over! My squats are pretty good though, but then my legs have always been the strongest part of me.
                              "For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

My Facebook (please send a message to introduce yourself though!)

Comment

• here's a question: we've heard a lot about a good measure of where you stand on day 1 (like saying '35 sets is way too many for 20 minutes. go up a level'0, but what about day two? how long is long enough where you say "ok, this is where i should be right now"? i just did lvl2d2 with a kb in a backpack in about 12 minutes. is that a good time to say friday will be a success?
                                .survive.then.win.

Comment

Working...
                                X