Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strong is strong enough

How strong is strong enough?

There are different body types and a wide spectrum of opinions out there...so what do you say is the minimum amount of strength that should be attained? I have a skinny runner type body so hi strength is way out there for me but there must be a "best bang for the buck" efficiency for training time vs strength.

That depends on who you are trying to impress.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
      That depends on who you are trying to impress.
      Only the hairy vegan girls so far!

Comment

Originally posted by rockrunner View Post
        Only the hairy vegan girls so far!
        Perhaps you are only trying to impress yourself, which means your motivation is intrinsic.

I always see these threads where the guys are talking about everybody needing to blast themselves for 30 or 45 or even 60 minutes multiple times a week. I do low volume and I rest between sets. I get what I need out of it, without risking injury.

Comment

Only you can really answer that question. Completely subjective with regards to your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
            Perhaps you are only trying to impress yourself, which means your motivation is intrinsic.
            That sounds right, I have to make myself weight train because its suppose to be good for you but I don't obviously see the benefits...they are kinda hidden. Endurance exercising I see the benefits easily so its hard to swap out one for other to me. I'm just trying to find the right amount of strength training to add in.

Comment

You should add in some basic strength building stuff like squats and deadlifts and some explosive stuff like power cleans or whatever. You'll feel a lot more bouncy and fast and the actual effort of running will start to feel easier than it used to. You'll also need to do far less running to be a decent runner. You'll be able to accomplish in 30 minutes a few times a week what it takes you hours to accomplish running all the time.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

That sounds right, I have to make myself weight train because its suppose to be good for you but I don't obviously see the benefits...they are kinda hidden. Endurance exercising I see the benefits easily so its hard to swap out one for other to me. I'm just trying to find the right amount of strength training to add in.
                I guess your an endurance athlete or something then? You could practice HIT 1-2x/week and be all set. Check out Body by Science.

Comment

Bodyweight excersises are the best way to acheive strength levels that are proportional to your build. EG the pull-up is a very effective strength excersise. 'Bar' training is getting really popular nowadays
                  Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Oh, I just read on your other thread the things you do. In all frankness I wouldn't worry about hitting the gym for extra strength work (unless you like it.... as I do) in the least if you are rock climbing, paddling, chopping wood... ect. day in and day out.

Comment

you do realize strength training assists with overall body joint/muscle strength, your mind/muscle connection, to name a few not so obvious ones...and is just part of being a healthy male in general? (or female for that matter).

Comment

How strong is strong enough?
                        Yeah, it's subjective, but I'd say you should be able to do 30-50 push ups and squats, 5-10 pullups, 2 minute plank...these bodyweight moves mean you have a modicum of functional strength, decent core strength, and can manage doing physical work (digging, lifting, etc.) . I've gotten a lot stronger doing bodyweight training and it feels great. I can keep up with the kids, among other things...

Comment

Originally posted by dabears View Post
                          you do realize strength training assists with overall body joint/muscle strength, your mind/muscle connection, to name a few not so obvious ones...and is just part of being a healthy male in general? (or female for that matter).
                          But hey if your rock climbing and rowing in some white water your getting plenty of that without a regimented "strength day" at the gym. Kinda like Movnat.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            You should add in some basic strength building stuff like squats and deadlifts and some explosive stuff like power cleans or whatever. You'll feel a lot more bouncy and fast and the actual effort of running will start to feel easier than it used to. You'll also need to do far less running to be a decent runner. You'll be able to accomplish in 30 minutes a few times a week what it takes you hours to accomplish running all the time.
                            I'm a decent runner no matter what I do...I'm just looking for things others here use as bench marks for minimum strength training...I know I need to improve in that area but how much time do I need to dedicate to weight training is the real question for me.

In running there is a sweet spot around 15 - 25 miles a week that you get the most health benefit for your time...where is that for strength training?

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                              But hey if your rock climbing and rowing in some white water your getting plenty of that without a regimented "strength day" at the gym. Kinda like Movnat.
                              fully understood, and there are a lot more ways to get generally stronger than without a barbell... I've had the discussion on here before. But I still think it is generally speaking the best and most progressive way to add strength, and would only help complement those activities.

Comment

Working...
                              X