Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people curl one arm at a time?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why do people curl one arm at a time?

    I don't see the precedent for why people doing curls are only doing one arm at a time. Isn't that asymmetry hard on the back? I've always done both arms at once, so my upper back doesn't wobble to the left and right. Anybody know why so many people are doing one arm at a time? Doesn't that damage the spine?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

  • #2
    The same reason they don't use a barbell, they don't know any better
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't know, it's like they are trained to do it.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

      Comment


      • #4
        Asymmetry is not a bad thing. If you work on keeping your core tight, you're giving your abs a workout.

        I often do single arm shoulder presses with a barbell.

        Comment


        • #5
          It creates a moment arm that must be resisted by the abdominal muscles (not just rectus abdominus, but all those that are sometimes referred to as "the core"), but I don't think that's the rationale behind it. It's just Men's Health/Bodybuilding.com junk. They should use a barbell, like Fernaldo says. Just not in the power cage.
          The Champagne of Beards

          Comment


          • #6
            unilateral exercises are awesome. plain and simple. I do plenty of 1 arm db overhead presses, db snatches, kb snatches (when I have access to kettlebells), and kb swings (1 arm is the only safe way to do them). on my "pull" days (deadlift, pullups, chin-ups, rows) I sometimes finish up with some db curls, hammer curls, and even a giant drop set of curls. I don't make these exercises the core of my training, but they definitely have a place.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
              unilateral exercises are awesome. plain and simple. I do plenty of 1 arm db overhead presses, db snatches, kb snatches (when I have access to kettlebells), and kb swings (1 arm is the only safe way to do them). on my "pull" days (deadlift, pullups, chin-ups, rows) I sometimes finish up with some db curls, hammer curls, and even a giant drop set of curls. I don't make these exercises the core of my training, but they definitely have a place.
              Yeah, I don't have a problem with unilateral exercises (as assistance work) in general, I just think curling a barbell is a better exercise than curling a dumbbell if you're only going to do 1 kind of curl (which is 1 more than most people need to be doing).
              The Champagne of Beards

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                Yeah, I don't have a problem with unilateral exercises (as assistance work) in general, I just think curling a barbell is a better exercise than curling a dumbbell if you're only going to do 1 kind of curl (which is 1 more than most people need to be doing).
                you mean I don't have to do 25 sets of db curls to get huuuuge gunz? that's not what the june issue of FLEX magazine said

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                  you mean I don't have to do 25 sets of db curls to get huuuuge gunz? that's not what the june issue of FLEX magazine said
                  Forget FLEX magazine. If you wanna get the 22's, you gotta follow the CT Fletcher method:
                  I Command you to Grow! Biceps/Arm Day with CT Fletcher - YouTube
                  The Champagne of Beards

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why curl when you can do pullups and chinups?
                    Curling has a place as a finishing exercise but the Men's Health group take it way too far.
                    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                      Forget FLEX magazine. If you wanna get the 22's, you gotta follow the CT Fletcher method:
                      I Command you to Grow! Biceps/Arm Day with CT Fletcher - YouTube
                      well.. there must be a method to his madness. 99% of bodybuilders are all about the volume training. it does work. well, that and a truckload of special "vitamins" certainly helps

                      haha...(edited for a G rating)"for a motherf'ing year and a half I trained f'in arms every goddamned day. on f'in christmas, new years, my motherf'ing birthday, anniversaries, everything. I was in the motherf'ing gym, bangin' arms."

                      this is pure gold. I think I just found my new routine..
                      Last edited by not on the rug; 05-22-2013, 07:23 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                        well.. there must be a method to his madness. 99% of bodybuilders are all about the volume training. it does work. well, that and a truckload of special "vitamins" certainly helps

                        haha...(edited for a G rating)"for a motherf'ing year and a half I trained f'in arms every goddamned day. on f'in christmas, new years, my motherf'ing birthday, anniversaries, everything. I was in the motherf'ing gym, bangin' arms."

                        this is pure gold. I think I just found my new routine..
                        You gotta swear at those biceps, dude. It brings out the peak. I command you to grow!
                        The Champagne of Beards

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          All those awesome workout routines in Muscle Fitness, Flex, Men's Fitness/Health work extraordinarily well when you're on roids. Works even better when your a meso to begin with. Meso + Roids = "dowhateverthefuckyouwantinthegymandgrow". That's the beauty and irony in those mags, (with a few exceptions)none of the dudes got to where they are by doing just those routines.
                          Tren/D-Bol up / Clen Down...
                          "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I admit I know nothing about bodybuilding but I can tell you that in my college gym the guys with really big muscles are doing bench press with a barbell and the skinny guys are curling barbells and dumbells and using that cable thing where you push down on the handle. Obviously all that curling doesn't accomplish very much. There are two young women in there with bigger biceps than most of the curl boys and one of them bench presses big plates and the other does pushups, one-arm pushups and pullups/chinups.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Being weaker on my left side than my right, I am trying to build that up rather than getting better at faking it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X