Help! Looking for a good bodyweight only routine to transform my body

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Looking for a good bodyweight only routine to transform my body

I know what you eat is 80%-90% of what you look like.But a good solid workout routine helps as well. I have tried SimpleFit but it seems it only helps with endurance. I have only seen Cheapo's results. No one else. I also did not like that SimpleFit did not include dips or burpees in the workout routine.I want to be able to move to more advanced moves using my own body. I would love when I am able to do a handstand push ups and one arm pull ups. Basically I want to get ripped and also be very strong.

I don't have time to go to the gym. I'm a new father to a newborn, working full time, going to school full time and trying to be a great husband as well. But I still want to lose 30 pounds, be stronger and transform my body.

I'm a total newb to fitness. I don't know how to construct my own routine. I don't know how many sets, how many reps and how many times a week I should workout. Also the speed I do the exercises in. I have seen people bust out 100 pushups in 5 minutes and others do slow pushups. Not sure which one is right to do.

So if anyone can help. I would appreciate it. Just looking for a HARD workout routine.

Originally posted by linuxguy0481 View Post
    I know what you eat is 80%-90% of what you look like.But a good solid workout routine helps as well. I have tried SimpleFit but it seems it only helps with endurance. I have only seen Cheapo's results. No one else. I also did not like that SimpleFit did not include dips or burpees in the workout routine.I want to be able to move to more advanced moves using my own body. I would love when I am able to do a handstand push ups and one arm pull ups. Basically I want to get ripped and also be very strong.

I don't have time to go to the gym. I'm a new father to a newborn, working full time, going to school full time and trying to be a great husband as well. But I still want to lose 30 pounds, be stronger and transform my body.

I'm a total newb to fitness. I don't know how to construct my own routine. I don't know how many sets, how many reps and how many times a week I should workout. Also the speed I do the exercises in. I have seen people bust out 100 pushups in 5 minutes and others do slow pushups. Not sure which one is right to do.

So if anyone can help. I would appreciate it. Just looking for a HARD workout routine.
    Check Ido Portal's channel on Youtube. There's a few dozen bodyweight exercises that will kick your butt a lot more than burpees.

Comment

Simplefit with a weight vest (if your looking for more pure strength) and some hill sprints is all you should need...

There are a couple of good reads out there... you are your own gym, rosstraining.com never gymless, etc.

Comment

I had very good results with You Are Your Own Gym (good book and better iPhone app), and having gone through the "First Class" and then "Master" programs, am doing more freestyle workouts like what Mark S suggests--short, intense, full body. But on YAYOG I went from only being able to do about 25 pushups to 50, 3 pullups to 12, 3 minute planks, and, as of a few weeks ago, one-arm pushups on the floor. Also check out Al Kavadlo's site. He has lots of great videos, though if you want a structured program to follow, you might check out YAYOG or Convict Conditioning.

Comment

Some very good advice so far. If you have the room for it, you might scour yardsales and craigslist for free weights and a bench if you would like to do some lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
            Simplefit with a weight vest (if your looking for more pure strength) and some hill sprints is all you should need...

There are a couple of good reads out there... you are your own gym, rosstraining.com never gymless, etc.
            What is a good weight to start with? I have looked at all those programs but information overload. I am not sure which one to pick. Sadly I don't have any hills right by me. I am looking for pure strength and getting ripped.

Comment

If you're willing to spend one hundred bucks on Insanity, by Shaun T, that's probably the best body weight routine out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Baconoholic View Post
                If you're willing to spend one hundred bucks on Insanity, by Shaun T, that's probably the best body weight routine out there.
                I actually used to have Insanity. I first got it a while ago from Craigslist for $40 and sold it for that same price. The more I read about it the more I did not like it. I want to get stronger in my workouts. I kept hearing that Insanity is not a strength building workout. I love doing pull ups and dips. That's not in the Insanity workout. Also the time commitment. I kept hearing from other people that it does not let your body fully recover from the workouts.

I wish someone came up with something similar to Insanity but with pull ups, dips, handstand pushups and other calisthenics exercises.

Comment

Google men's health Spartacus workout 2.0. That'll keep you busy and gasping for air if you want a tough full body workout with weights. Only takes 30-40 min. I started with one set of dumbbells and added more as my strength increased.

Its very challenging. I've been changing up the circuits with different exercises for several years now.

Some days I keep it simple and do 2-3 sets of: weighted squats , plank to push ups, pull-ups, & thrusters. All to failure.

Add 1 day of sprinting and lots of slow walking during the week.

The site has workout articles too if you search for them.

Comment

If you want to improve pure strength then just focus on exercises where you can reach fatigue in or around 5 reps. Sometimes you'll be doing more, sometimes less but that's the direction you need to be headed in. If you can do 5 push ups then add some weight or find some other way to make it more challenging, once you can do that then progress onto handstand push ups, once you can do that then move onto handstand push ups with a weight vest - you get the idea.

When you're working at that level of intensity then you'll also need to ensure that your rest is sufficient to keep the quality of the work high.

It's entirely possible to build great levels of strength with a bodyweight only program but you need to think about progression - this is where most people go wrong. They end up doing 2-300 push ups in a session and wonder why they aren't getting any stronger.
                    Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                    Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                    The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                    Brute Force Sandbags
                    www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                    http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

i saw you guys mentioned insanity, and i honestly love it. i'm overweight but i've definitely seen a change in my physique since i've started using it. to add in strength with it, i do a max set of push ups, pull ups or whatever, set my watch timer for 90 seconds and do the insanity workout for 90 seconds, pause it and do another max set of whatever exercise and repeat. i know it's not even close to the best for overall strength, but i think it has really helped in changing my body so far :-)

Comment

Check out fitness 666

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguy0481 View Post
                          Here would be my suggestions:

You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren (books/DVD's/iphone app)

Raising the Bar and Pushing the Limits by Al Kavadlo

Fitness 666

Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low

Reddit's Bodyweight Fitness Community

https://www.store.ddpyoga.com

I've bought the DDP Yoga dvd's a few weeks back and have been surprised at how much harder they are than what I was expecting. I've never been interested in trying Yoga before but I can't say enough good things about them. About the only thing that I've been supplementing them with is dips and pull ups at the end of the workouts.

Comment

Not to be a smart a, but why not just do the PB fitness? If done properly, with proper form, those exercises will do the trick for a long time, and they can be very difficult. I have been working them for about 10 months now, am down 30lbs from 202LBS. No gym, just my backyard and my kid's jungle gym a couple of times/week. I carve out about 30 mins for myself and it is done. The secret to all this is to not get injured, go slow, use proper form, and be consistent, and some good mobility drills. Mark and his team have spent a lot of time trying to make this as simple and easy as possible and we tend to spiral up and make it complicated.

Really the hard part part is finding time to get in 3-5 hrs of slow moving and a good play session or 2, as I am sure you are finding out, with a little one.

Comment

My family really likes Convict Conditioning. We started the first of the year. I've noticed a big change in the way my upper body looks. My strength is rapidly improving.

We started at level 1 of the four beginner exercises (push ups, leg raises, pull ups, and squats). The progressions have been easy to follow - not always easy to do though. We do one exercise each morning from Monday through Thursday. To do a warm up and the sets takes about 15 minutes - perfect for someone with little kids.

I also sprint once a week and try to walk as much as possible. Oh...and doing my own yard work certainly is helping too. Pulling out bushes/trees, mulching, mowing the grass, etc. are all good primal workouts.

Comment

Working...
                              X