Hill sprints.....wow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hill sprints.....wow

My usual sprint routine consists of ten 100-yard sprints. I'll sprint, walk back to the start, then turn around and sprint again - rinse and repeat.

Unfortunately, the local high school football field I usually sprint at was being used by a spring soccer league. I went to another field complex in the next town over from me. The 2 fields here were both being used by another soccer league. Dammit.

These fields have a decently steep hill next to them, so I decided I'd run hill sprints. I'd never done them before.

I managed to run 4 sprints, and I was completely wiped out. My legs were like Jello, and I was breathing way harder than I do during my normal sprint workout. Very tough workout. I'd highly recommend adding hill sprints to your routine if you can.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

One of the best and hardest workouts you can get! Try 5 all-out uphill sprints X 60 seconds (yep, a bit more than 100 yards!)walk down after finishing each sprint and repeat. Warmup is very important of course. I have read in a scientific paper that the amounts of acids in your blood after such a session is equal to a very dead person...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Yup hill sprints are great. Kurt Angle (olympic gold winning wrestler turned WWE star ) lived nearby while I was growing up. He fractured his hand while training for the olympics and from what I remember trained the heck out of lower body while healing. Hill sprints where a huge part of his effort. We got some steep hills out in PA.

Oh, btw anybody whose competing in or enjoys watching one on one fighting of any sort should visit this page Save Olympic Wrestling !

Comment

I regularly do hill sprints with a rep of somethign or other on top and on bottom. So it may be:

20 jump squats
        Hill sprint
        20 pushups
        walk down
        20 lunges
        Hill spring
        etc etc etc

A hill sprint after lunges or squats? MWAAhahahaha...

Comment

Originally posted by Allenete View Post
          I regularly do hill sprints with a rep of somethign or other on top and on bottom. So it may be:

20 jump squats
          Hill sprint
          20 pushups
          walk down
          20 lunges
          Hill spring
          etc etc etc

A hill sprint after lunges or squats? MWAAhahahaha...
          I can't breathe just thinking about that workout. Lol

Comment

Absolutely love hill sprints. I have a 250 meter long steep hill that typically I run 5 reps on once a week. Real challenging, takes the heart rate right up to max. Another suggestion is to find a long set of stairs to climb. We have stairs near us that are about 100 meters in length, try doing that 10 times and you thighs will burn for a few days.
            Recent Blog: http://www.peakperformanceradio.net/...y-john-saville

https://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourne...?ref=bookmarks

Comment

Constraints have limited my ability to run hill sprint outdoors (weather, shoes, surface, etc.) Although I prefer running outside, the treadmill works. Some may have difficulty jumping on and off but try sprinting for 20-30 seconds at a level 15 incline. Very intense.

Comment

can i ask what kind of hills are you looking for?

Grass hills or road hills?

Quite tough to find where i live.
                2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Comment

I have a sledding hill nearby (its name is really Sledding Hill), and it's a BEAST. About 250 yards and very steep. I don't think anyone can sprint more than halfway up it. Days I take my sprint workout there I feel like I might die.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

my local sledding hill is smaller, so i usually start on the field and then climb the hill. But what I discovered last week is how awesome bear crawl downhill is! So, do your sprint routine, get breathing back to normal, then bear crawl uphill (wow, this is easy, you'll think), then turn around and climb down (and you'll think, how can it be so much farther downhill than up?!). Do that about 3 times and pretty much the whole body is taken care of!

Comment

I did some hill sprints for the first time on Sunday. It was a shorter hill, maybe 20 seconds to the top, but it wore me out after 5 all out efforts.
                      The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

Comment

I almost never do sprints on flat ground. I'm pretty fast (from hill sprints maybe?) and am honestly afraid of face planting so I never run hard enough on flat ground. Uphill I don't have that worry because I can't naturally go as fast due to the incline.

I used to try to go for 10, but the workout would get way too long so now I jsut keep it to 5-7 or so and yeah I've felt pretty light headed after them, sometimes it gets a little scary.

I also don't get them in as often as I should, but I don't go a month without at least one session.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

One good idea would be twenty seconds of work, followed by ten seconds if rest, eight times. If you are doing it on a hill,it's death, also you could try doing it on a treadmill at a twelve percent incline. But as far as hill running is concerned, it's an excellent way to improve your running.

Comment

Originally posted by Baconoholic View Post
                            One good idea would be twenty seconds of work, followed by ten seconds if rest, eight times. If you are doing it on a hill,it's death, also you could try doing it on a treadmill at a twelve percent incline. But as far as hill running is concerned, it's an excellent way to improve your running.
                            I don't want to be a dick, but tabatas on uphill sprints are impossible. It's hard enough on a stationary bike (where Tabata meant for them to be performed) and I think that's where they belong. Do straight sprints and rest appropriately (anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes) then go hard again.
                            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I am not entirely sure how people are sprinting for 20 seconds plus and then repeating.

Are people really sprinting (i.e. running from the grim reaper) or are they just running very fast?
                              2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Comment

Working...
                              X