No announcement yet.

Hill sprints.....wow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to fight not to barf after every sprint on hill sprint day. I'm going all out. Why wouldn't it be possible to repeat all-out sprints?

Sent via A-10 Warthog

Comment

Originally posted by AdamC29 View Post
      I am not entirely sure how people are sprinting for 20 seconds plus and then repeating.

Are people really sprinting (i.e. running from the grim reaper) or are they just running very fast?
      Precisely my point, an all out sprint longer than 10 seconds is very VERY challenging. I strongly doubt anybody here can do that after merely 10 seconds of rest and repeat it 8 times. I bet by your fourth "sprint" you're already jogging or probably walking.

Video or it didn't happen.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I am not entirely sure how people are sprinting for 20 seconds plus and then repeating.

Are people really sprinting (i.e. running from the grim reaper) or are they just running very fast?
        Yesterday I did 5 hill sprints of 30 seconds close to max, or above 90% of max, and with 3 - 4 minutes walking down between the sprints. Before that I warmed up by stair running, gradually rising intensity for 25 minutes. A solid warmup is very, very, important when doing this. When sprinting I foucus on the movements of the arms and that I have a lion coming after me, and yes I still get over 200 in HR at the age of 50! After the sprints I take around 20 minutes with easy jogging and walking to finish...
        "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Totally agree about the warm up (I'm 48), and about the arms and being-chased-by-lion. Did 4 sets on the flat, then sprint-crawled up and down the hill (up+down=1 rep) 3 sets. The hardest part was climbing down. Thanks for the inspiration y'all.

Comment

One of the best WODs out there for conditioning and mental toughness. Just wrote an article about this subject. Here it is The Need for Mind Games | Mentaltoughnessguy.com

Comment

I read somewhere that your body has about 20 seconds of max effort in it, unless you really train to extend that. Usually my first couple of sprints are pretty close to 20 seconds at max intensity, then the later ones get shorter and shorter.

There is a point when I'm sprinting when I feel my stride break and I know I'm not going as fast as I should be and I can't go as hard as I should. That's where I stop, more or less. I don't run a timer, nor do I measure distance, though I should be hitting somewhere close to 150m on a track in 20 seconds. Towards the end, rep 4-6, I might make it 50-70m before I feel my stride break.

And be careful with Bear Crawls- they are awesome, but your arms don't have the shock absorption that your legs do, so it's easy to jam your shoulders if you go too fast.
              Last edited by jfreaksho; 06-02-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X