Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barefoot running, calves hurting, bad technique?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you are not allowing your heels to drop, this can make your calves more sore than otherwise would be. Have you been having any heel or foot arch pain? especially in the morning? Are you getting blisters anywhere?

here's a guide someone made for transitioning to barefoot. I haven't used it but it would have been nice when I had started.
    http://www.runningquest.net/2009/10/...-run-shodless/ links is WFS

some cues that might work
    allow your heel to "kiss" the ground. The BOF should still hit first
    Think of using your whole foot
    Last edited by synntropy; 05-12-2010, 02:37 PM. Reason: adding in some thoughs

Comment

can you post a video of your running?

Comment

Originally posted by synntropy View Post
        if you are not allowing your heels to drop, this can make your calves more sore than otherwise would be. Have you been having any heel or foot arch pain? especially in the morning? Are you getting blisters anywhere?

here's a guide someone made for transitioning to barefoot. I haven't used it but it would have been nice when I had started.
        http://www.runningquest.net/2009/10/...-run-shodless/ links is WFS

some cues that might work
        allow your heel to "kiss" the ground. The BOF should still hit first
        Think of using your whole foot
        THat link is great buddy thanks, Im pretty sure Im not relying on the ball and im using the whole foot. It feel very natural. But it appears from that, that it can take a really long time for your body to adapt so Ill just have to hold on and maybe not go bare foot for my more intense gym warmup - for now

dont have video atm, might get somethin done though
        www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

My WOD yesterday was 5 rounds of 400m run, 150 Jump Rope singles (can't do doubles yet) and 20 toes to bar. My calves are on fire today from the running and jumping in my VFFs. I totally expected it becuase I have always jumped rope barefoot when possible and the midsole strike really does activate the calves.

My only problem is when I get tired I fall back to heel striking and they really hurt today!!!

Comment

I may be late for this response, but if that's hurting your calves, back off. You'll pull something quick if you over do it. Look at therunningbarefoot.com for tips. Vibrams are awesome, but you'll overdo it without knowing it if you're calves and feet aren't used to it. For months, i just walked in them.
            boom.

Comment

I started "barefoot" running in the winter, and since it was too cold for vibrams, I got some Nike Frees. I found they were a nice transition to vibrams. I also spend every moment I can barefoot otherwise. Perhaps that helps.

Comment

I went through the same thing. Just don't overdo it...give your calves time to catch up with the rest of you

Comment

Im wondering if it occurs more with treadmill running, I dont do more than 10-15 mins warmup in the gym but it seems to cause more calf damage than when I run outside.

Anyone else experienced this?
                  www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Working...
                  X