New Article About Bodyweight Strength Training on Bodybuilding.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Article About Bodyweight Strength Training on Bodybuilding.com

I've seen lots of posts on this forum lately asking about whether bodyweight training can be effective for building strength and/or muscle.

Bodybuilding.com just published a new article I wrote about bodyweight strength training that I believe will address a lot of those concerns.

The fact that a site like Bodybuilding.com would publish an article like this shows that this type of training should not be ignored or dismissed.

Here's the link: Bodybuilding.com - Body Double: Bodyweight Alternatives To Strength Training Classics
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Good stuff, Al. A question after reading the article: what's the sound of a one-hand clapping pushup?

Comment

Great article as always Al!
      I still follow my weight lifting program, but you have definitely inspired me to try working towards some of the more challenging bw exercises!

Comment

Originally posted by Ghshl View Post
        Great article as always Al!
        I still follow my weight lifting program, but you have definitely inspired me to try working towards some of the more challenging bw exercises!
        Thanks! We're Working Out!

Originally posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
        Good stuff, Al. A question after reading the article: what's the sound of a one-hand clapping pushup?
        Thanks! I love a good Zen Koan, but when I do a one arm clap push-up, I clap my hand to my chest:

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

sigpic

Comment

This is timely for me. I've recently started doing handstand work.

Comment

Excellent stuff!

Comment

where do we situate dips in this?

and great article, thanks. you on those fingertips in the first pic! wow!

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                This is timely for me. I've recently started doing handstand work.
                Right on! I'm actually writing a new article about handstands for Bodybuilding.com that will be up later this month.

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                Excellent stuff!
                Thank you!

Originally posted by sjmc View Post
                where do we situate dips in this?

and great article, thanks. you on those fingertips in the first pic! wow!
                Thanks! If you want to know my take on dips, check out this article I recently wrote for T-Nation on the subject: T NATION | All About Dips

sigpic

Comment

Impressive! Very impressive. How did you obtain the flexiblity to do some of this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by TTBlue21 View Post
                    Impressive! Very impressive. How did you obtain the flexiblity to do some of this stuff?
                    Thanks! As for flexibility, I've been practicing yoga for a long, long time. I also do some informal stretching every day.

My next book is actually going to be all about flexibility/mobility training. It should be out early next year.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
                      Thanks! As for flexibility, I've been practicing yoga for a long, long time. I also do some informal stretching every day.

My next book is actually going to be all about flexibility/mobility training. It should be out early next year.
                      Will it have a section on horribly tight shoulder girdles and anatomical kyphosis? If so, sign me up for a copy.
                      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post

Sign me up as well. I know it should not be hard, but for whatever reason, I avoid it. I recently purchased a large foam roller and streching rope. I had a friend that ran track, he suggested the rope as you can push it solo.

Additionally, I had a trainer tell me my posture is terrible. Working on that as well. I have major difficult keeping my shoulders back and sitting up straight.

Comment

Good stuff - even people that relies mostly on weight training should incorporate a few body weight exercises here and there!
                          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                            Will it have a section on horribly tight shoulder girdles and anatomical kyphosis? If so, sign me up for a copy.
                            Yes there will be lots of shoulder and other upper-body stretches in this book. Depending on your age, however, kyphosis can be very slow and difficult to correct. Not necessarily impossible, but it takes a lot of focused work.

Originally posted by TTBlue21 View Post
                            Sign me up as well. I know it should not be hard, but for whatever reason, I avoid it. I recently purchased a large foam roller and streching rope. I had a friend that ran track, he suggested the rope as you can push it solo.

Additionally, I had a trainer tell me my posture is terrible. Working on that as well. I have major difficult keeping my shoulders back and sitting up straight.
                            Right on - good to know there's already some interest in this book!

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                            Good stuff - even people that relies mostly on weight training should incorporate a few body weight exercises here and there!
                            Thanks, Gorbag! You and I seem to think alike!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X