Feeling sluggish during running

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling sluggish during running

I am in the military, for 2 more months. I have been running for routine PT because it is required for us in the military. I prefer cycling. I have one more test to take. I normally feel pretty good once I get to running 3 miles 3 times a week. Additionally, I do pushups and situps.

I started the 21 Day Transformation. I am on day 8. I am not sure why I feel sluggish. It is almost like my legs don't have the energy. I finish in a decent time, but it takes effort.

Any ideas or tips?

I should add I am 43 years old male... 26 years in the military...

Comment

Are you restricting your carbs? If you are, perhaps you should let up on that and allow yourself some potatoes, sweet, potatoes, or rice.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
        Are you restricting your carbs? If you are, perhaps you should let up on that and allow yourself some potatoes, sweet, potatoes, or rice.
        I bet she nailed it. The time to become fat-adapted is when you don't have to take PT running tests.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I had some sweet potatoes last week but don't on a regular basis... trying to stick with the 21 DT intent... Should I have them more often as long as I don't go over the 150 grams a day?

After doing a quick review of my journal, it appears I never went over 100 grams. Bounced around 80-90 one day I only had 24 grams of carbs.

I appreciate your advice.

Comment

Have an extra serving of carbs with dinner each night.

Comment

Can I follow up? Thoughts on rice over sweet potatoes?

Comment

Originally posted by sgtcyclist View Post
                Can I follow up? Thoughts on rice over sweet potatoes?
                I would put the sweet potatoes on top of the rice, rather than the other way around. :P

Seriously, just try it and find out what works for you.

Comment

The sweet potatoes are going to have a few more nutrients, but really you're looking for cheap carbs that you don't react negatively to.

I know you've heard this in your career, but make sure you are drinking water. Low carb can dehydrate you. Pay attention to your salt intake as well- it's easy to go too low when you cut out all processed food-like products.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                    The sweet potatoes are going to have a few more nutrients, but really you're looking for cheap carbs that you don't react negatively to.

I know you've heard this in your career, but make sure you are drinking water. Low carb can dehydrate you. Pay attention to your salt intake as well- it's easy to go too low when you cut out all processed food-like products.
                    Sorry, I have been swamped. Eating the SP has made things a little easier. Thanks. I drink lots of water.

I do have a question for those of you doing primal... How much running and what kind of running do you do? Nice and easy 5K or 1 mile sprints? Just curious.

Once I get this last test out of the way and I am retired, I will be doing my weights again with some road cycling, which I prefer.

Thanks again!

Comment

I run all the time. I do HIIT once a week (1.25 mile warm-up, followed by 6-8 sprint intervals). I also do one long run a week, and now that I'm not training for a race, my long runs are around 8 miles. When I'm training for a race (either 10-miler or half marathon), my long runs are whatever the training program says they are. I also do one shorter run per week, about 5-6 miles. So three runs per week right now--one HIIT, one long, one shorter. I Crossfit the other four days. Before I started Crossfitting, I ran four times a week. We also run at Crossfit somtimes. The runs are either part of a WOD or 800-meter time trials. I think there are 200-m and 400-m sprints as well.

My journal

Comment

Working...
                      X