I'm jumping on the SS bandwagon!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Bleh.... my L5 is not digging the squats. Get a sharp pain in the right L5 to sacroiliac in the day or two after the lift akin to how it felt after the L5 herniation years ago. I may or may not continue with them. I'm doing a weight for 5 reps that is quite light for me. I'm sure I could do 15 or more reps with it. Form is about as tight as I can keep it and I get no pain during the lift. Could be that I'm going too deep cause I get some serious glute DOMS with little to no feel in the legs. That actually begs the question of possible muscle imbalances (glutes are underdeveloped) that could be contributing to some lumbar instability in my case. Some things to ponder here I suppose. I've been doing deadlifts for several months now so I figured I would have hit my posterior chain quite sufficiently and built this up to a point where squats would be less of an issue.
    Have you read the Starting Strength book? If you have, have you considered posting a form check on the SS forum?

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
      Have you read the Starting Strength book? If you have, have you considered posting a form check on the SS forum?
      I second this. My power cleans were awful until I got some really good free help with them over the internet. Now they're merely poor.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I'll work on some form checks first, but I may just have some permanent damage. Hell I've earned it ... I'm a beat up 35. I've overcome most of them and will continue to train, but heavy squats may or may not be in my future. I can still do heavy dead lifts at least!

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          I'll work on some form checks first, but I may just have some permanent damage. Hell I've earned it ... I'm a beat up 35. I've overcome most of them and will continue to train, but heavy squats may or may not be in my future. I can still do heavy dead lifts at least!
          Lots of volume at low intensity on the squats might actually help line everything back up. Bill Starr's rehab protocol is for muscle belly injuries, but I've seen people on the interwebz claim to have used it successfully for spinal injuries with disc involvement.

Also, do you have a pull-up bar and ab straps? I've personally had some success with DIY traction (hang ab straps from pullup bar, hang self from ab straps, relax as much as possible, for as long as possible) for addressing back injuries.

Just a couple avenues you might want to research. Of course I'm in no way giving medical advice (nor am I remotely qualified to do so).
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Thanks RM. Without even knowing Bill Starr thats what I was gravitating to. The only difference really is that I was only planning to do it 2-3x/week rather than daily and it was to be at the end of my normal workout rather than a complete replacement of.

I actually haven't had any issues with my back since originally working with a chiropractor 20 years ago (saved me from further surgeries) and I do continue to get adjusted. The only two times I've had this sort of pain since the original injury is when trying to reincorporate squats into my workouts. Probably is something off in my form that aggravates it.

So yeah, I'm gonna keep the volume up and the weights ridiculously low for a while (which may be more painful than the injury ).

Comment

Working...
            X