No announcement yet.

Confused about bodyweight training...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q&A: Bodyweight Training and Intentional Antagonistic Co-Contraction | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Comment

good article and I like the concept. but I am more interested in the concept of using circuit training for strength. does circuit training allow for muscle gains?

Comment

Originally posted by MAhammer View Post
        good article and I like the concept. but I am more interested in the concept of using circuit training for strength. does circuit training allow for muscle gains?
        Damn straight. As Oldschhool will no doubt tell you, form, intensity and time under tension are what buildz dem muscles

Also Rich, +1 for "fag rags". So true of the majority of muscle and fitness literature out there.

Comment

A forty minute discussion of the application of high intensity training principles to bodyweight exercises. If you want to make bodyweight exercises harder this will give you a few tips on how to do it, while also making the exercises easier on your joints.

Bodyweight High Intensity Training Discussion and Demonstration - YouTube
          Drew Baye
          High Intensity Training

Comment

interesting video. seems like a similar approach to strength as convict conditioning. but what about training to move fast? dont we need to train fast in order to be fast? this type of training doesnt seem like it would help you be very athletic. and by that i mean being able to do things like sprinting, throwing, jumping, etc. things that require power.

Comment

interesting video. seems like a similar approach to strength as convict conditioning. but what about training to move fast? this type of training doesnt seem like it would help you be very athletic. and by that i mean being able to do things like sprinting, throwing, jumping, etc. things that require power.
              dont we need to train fast in order to be fast?
              No not at all !

Comment

hey oldschool, what can you show me or tell me to support this?

Comment

hey oldschool, what can you show me or tell me to support this?
                  Drew Baye has written many articles on this topic, here is one that should explain it a little:

Explosive Training | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

Basically a muscle can only contract at a certain speed regardless of how it was created. Speed of movement is more of a learned skill, ie if you want to learn to sprint fast then you should go out onto a track and sprint fast.......doing quick movements in the gym will do nothing to help your sprinting but could likely increase the risk of injury and not promote as good gains as would controlled lifting.
                  Last edited by OldSchhool; 01-15-2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

The article was written by Ken Mannie who was the S&C coach at Michigan and published on my site with his permission. I have addressed this elsewhere though:

Q&A: Repetition Speed, Recruitment and Stimulation | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye
                    Drew Baye
                    High Intensity Training

Comment

nice article Drew, have you ever checked out the convict conditioning program? if not it is 6 exercises, all calisthenics, pushups- pullup- squats- bridges- handstand pushups- and leg raises- done at a very controlled tempo of 2-1-2. training for strength not endurance. This would fall in line with what you are talking about for training strength. Do you think CC is a good program? why or why not?

Comment

nice article Drew, have you ever checked out the convict conditioning program? if not it is 6 exercises, all calisthenics, pushups- pullup- squats- bridges- handstand pushups- and leg raises- done at a very controlled tempo of 2-1-2. training for strength not endurance. This would fall in line with what you are talking about for training strength. Do you think CC is a good program? why or why not?
                        I've had a quick look at the Convict program and although anything such as that will work to a degree for so long I don't think it is anywhere near optimal for the best results.

Drew Baye will probably disagree with me here as he promotes a bodyweight workout. In my opinion where routines such as this fall down is in their inability to effectively provide progressive resistance. Most rely on varying the angle with which you do the exercises or by making them less stable. For optimal results you want to work a muscle in it's strongest, most direct plane of motion and provide progressive resistance within that plane.

Lets say you are doing push ups and wish to make them harder, most free weight routines have you doing one of two things.

A) Raising the legs-ultimately ending up in a handstand push up.
                        B) Doing them in a way that puts more emphasis on one arm- Ultimately ending up in a one arm push up.

The slight decline position is the optimal angle for working the chest so technique A is the total opposite of what you really want to be doing, the higher you raise your legs the less resistance is on the chest and more transferred to the shoulders and triceps.
                        Just because you are putting a muscle into a weaker position doesn't make the exercise a better progression, if this was the case then the tricep kick back would be one of the top tricep builders !

The most efficient way to overload the muscles and cause an adaptive response is by using good old weights !

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchhool View Post
                          I've had a quick look at the Convict program and although anything such as that will work to a degree for so long I don't think it is anywhere near optimal for the best results.

Drew Baye will probably disagree with me here as he promotes a bodyweight workout. In my opinion where routines such as this fall down is in their inability to effectively provide progressive resistance. Most rely on varying the angle with which you do the exercises or by making them less stable. For optimal results you want to work a muscle in it's strongest, most direct plane of motion and provide progressive resistance within that plane.

Lets say you are doing push ups and wish to make them harder, most free weight routines have you doing one of two things.

A) Raising the legs-ultimately ending up in a handstand push up.
                          B) Doing them in a way that puts more emphasis on one arm- Ultimately ending up in a one arm push up.

The slight decline position is the optimal angle for working the chest so technique A is the total opposite of what you really want to be doing, the higher you raise your legs the less resistance is on the chest and more transferred to the shoulders and triceps.
                          Just because you are putting a muscle into a weaker position doesn't make the exercise a better progression, if this was the case then the tricep kick back would be one of the top tricep builders !

The most efficient way to overload the muscles and cause an adaptive response is by using good old weights !

So you would use dumbbells and barbells but still use the slow controlled tempo in your lifting?

what about bodyweight exercise while adding a weight vest? sub optimal?

Comment

How heavy can the weight vest go? How about the barbell? What's easier to incrementally load?
                            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

the one i have goes up to 100lbs in 2.5 lbs increments

Comment

So you would use dumbbells and barbells but still use the slow controlled tempo in your lifting?

Exactly.
                                Don't give up entirely on the vest, if you have access to or can improvise a pull up bar and dipping bars it will be great for those.

Comment

Working...
                                X