Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't want to use barbells but I want to get strong.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dabears View Post
    I think its incredibly impressive, and I cannot do it myself so it would be shortsighted of me to discount the strength required. I just meant their total strength is relative to their bodyweight + difficulty of the exercise they can perform, whereas someone who has a 3x bodyweight deadlift is on a general basis, more "strong".

It is splitting hairs at the end of the day, if you can complete 8-10 reps of the advanced bodyweight exercises you are a most likely a lean & strong individual and nobody would call you anything else. I'm just trying to make the case of the difference in progressive overload & efficiency between a complete bodyweight exercise program vs. barbell exercise only.
    I got you, and I agree.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I don't take offense ever on the internet, nor do I think I'm being attacked (unless they are directly insulting me / personally attacking me).

I don't hate on bodyweight exercises, but my original comment in this thread was referring to the OP's attitude being a barrier to their goals.

And Hershel Walker shouldn't be used as an example, he has insane genetics. I'm familiar with this "famous" routines of massive/insane amounts of situps / pushups. I'm sure we can all agree doing 1000 situps is not very good for strength building.

I think this has gotten pretty far off topic so I'll just leave it there.

Comment

Agreed. I origanally put Herschel wouldn't be the best example but took it out at the last second. I completely understand and I can see where you're coming from.

I see the world a little different and what works best for me might not work for someone else. Due to my many injuries from football and my various delpoyments overseas bodyweight exercises work best for me. It allows me to stay lean, strong and nimble. When I lifted weights on a regular basis it got to the point where I couldn't move and in my former line of work thats not a good thing.
        Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

Staying flexible is important, that's become very apparent to me lately. If you're not balancing your strength training with flexibility/mobility training you're short changing yourself.
          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
            Staying flexible is important, that's become very apparent to me lately. If you're not balancing your strength training with flexibility/mobility training you're short changing yourself.
            I train BJJ several times a week, so I'm "accidentally" following this advice (there's no better mobility/flexibility training I'm aware of), but still wonder how one could lose the ability to move through a full range of motion by doing compound barbell lifts over a full range of motion.
            The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              I train BJJ several times a week, so I'm "accidentally" following this advice (there's no better mobility/flexibility training I'm aware of), but still wonder how one could lose the ability to move through a full range of motion by doing compound barbell lifts over a full range of motion.
              Full range of motion or not; strength training shorten the muscle facia(s) and connecting tendons. Training antagonist muscle and/or streching may help somehow..
              "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
                Full range of motion or not; strength training shorten the muscle facia(s) and connecting tendons. Training antagonist muscle and/or streching may help somehow..
                Are you telling me that squatting deep will inhibit my ability to squat deep? That deadlifting will make me unable to bend over and pick things up off the floor? Does not compute.
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Are you telling me that squatting deep will inhibit my ability to squat deep? That deadlifting will make me unable to bend over and pick things up off the floor? Does not compute.
                  As usual you seem to be more interested to pull up a random strawman than to learn something about basic human physiology! Is benchpress a compound exercise, and what happens very often to those benchpress "bros" that forget to train their antagonist back muscles?
                  "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

As usual you seem to be more interested to pull up a random strawman than to learn something about basic human physiology! Is benchpress a compound exercise, and what happens very often to those benchpress "bros" that forget to train their antagonist back muscles?
                    Enlighten us.
                    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Enlighten us.
                      The same that happens to typical nerds that sits too much in front of a computer, shortening of muscles and tendons related to pectoralis major, pectoralis minor, deltoid anterior etc. and a physiological imbalance that makes a perfect set-up for a muscle or tendon tear...

- Schopenhauer

Comment

The same that happens to typical nerds that sits too much in front of a computer, shortening of muscles and tendons related to pectoralis major, pectoralis minor, deltoid anterior etc. and a physiological imbalance that makes a perfect set-up for a muscle or tendon tear...
                        Gorbag, you're arguing against a self created argument again. Who said you should train only one side of the body?

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                          Gorbag, you're arguing against a self created argument again. Who said you should train only one side of the body?
                          Why don't you ask your "brother in arms" RichMahogany about that? He's argument seem that if it's only full range motion then everything is well, which it's not (Cf. post 51).

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I don't think anybody here is advocating an imbalanced barbell training regime.

Comment

Originally posted by dabears View Post
                              I don't think anybody here is advocating an imbalanced barbell training regime.
                              Of course you're right, but Gorbag likes to find way to contradict every single thing I post, regardless of how much straw he's already used up. He's got some weird man-crush on me. It's understandable.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Of course you're right, but Gorbag likes to find way to contradict every single thing I post, regardless of how much straw he's already used up. He's got some weird man-crush on me. It's understandable.
                                Maybe he's got a thing for barbell-built bodies?

Comment

Working...
                                X