Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Articles on the efficacy of weight training for women?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you talking about the photo with the woman with birds on her shoulders? That woman is me. I gots me some biceps but I ain't no Staci. And those are tight jeans. Those thighs are all me, baby.

I think lifting weights is great fun. It makes me feel good. It provides way better positive feedback than cardio. To make visible progress does not require more TIME, just more effort. To make progress with running or cycling I have to go further which takes more time. Eventually it's too much time and becomes a drag. (I suppose you could run faster but I consider that to be sprinting, something else entirely.)

I just wish everybody was honest that lifting doesn't make you look like Staci. Staci looks like that because she was already thin and put on muscle with lifting. She also eats a very low fat, high protein diet. She probably does some other things, too, and she probably doesn't always look exactly like that picture. She is also quite young.

Maybe in a few years I'll look a little better but I don't believe for a minute that I will ever look like her. Just like I do not believe that I would ever look like the skinny little college girls where I work even if I strapped myself to a stairmaster for 2 hours a day like they do.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

SBHikes, people like Staci are the what, 1% ers.? Most women would probably be very happy looking like you.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the point is to be the best you can be and keep improving. I doubt I could ever look like Staci, my skin won't allow it. I don't give a shit. I just want to look better than I do now.

I don't know, maybe I have some weird thing about muscular women that carry normal (that 24-25%) body fat.... but I think they have some of the best looking bodies and what more, they age better than the skinny no muscle women and don't look as hard the lean, muscular women.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

I don't think any of those women would look better if they were sedentary. And Leida, would you rather gain 20 lbs of fat or 2 lbs of muscle and 18 lbs of fat? And the last two if they were dressed and posed a little more femininly would probably be attractive.
        For me gaining 18 lbs of fat is not worth gaining 2 lbs of muscle.

I don't know, maybe I have some weird thing about muscular women that carry normal (that 24-25%) body fat.... but I think they have some of the best looking bodies and what more, they age better than the skinny no muscle women and don't look as hard the lean, muscular women.
        I am a big fan of lean, dry look in the older women, and I desperately wish I was like that. But funnily, I am your 20+ something BF% and my body resists going lower. Lean women do seem to have one thing in common that I cannot match - they really do eat nearly nothing.

The other day I was sitting at a meeting with one of those slender ladies, and well, she doesn't like shopping for groceries, let alone cooking, she doesn't like veggies and fruit, and when she brought lunch to work once, it was a can of soup. When she was a vegetarian she lived of bread and cake.... which I am betting was a slice of toast for breakfast and a slice of cake for dinner. Mom said her slender friend was stuffed on half a hot-dog, a slice of black bread and a few leaves of a salad for lunch (well, at least that one is barely able to walk). How on gods' green earth one can suppress appetite to that level, I can only wonder.
        Last edited by Leida; 04-26-2013, 06:33 AM.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
          I think 24% looks great, though my goal is less than that. But 24% body fat is not really "normal". Rather, it is leaner than average. The average woman is already at 25-31% body fat.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            Are you talking about the photo with the woman with birds on her shoulders? That woman is me. I gots me some biceps but I ain't no Staci. And those are tight jeans. Those thighs are all me, baby.
            I think you look great!

Comment

Originally posted by magnolia1973 View Post
              SBHikes, people like Staci are the what, 1% ers.? Most women would probably be very happy looking like you.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the point is to be the best you can be and keep improving. I doubt I could ever look like Staci, my skin won't allow it. I don't give a shit. I just want to look better than I do now.

I'm not complaining about how I look. I am happy with how I look. But I do understand that there are many who would look at me and think to themselves man that lady ought to stop stuffing donuts in her pie hole and get some exercise. Little would they know I kick ass and a donut hasn't passed my lips in several years.

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
              I think 24% looks great, though my goal is less than that. But 24% body fat is not really "normal". Rather, it is leaner than average. The average woman is already at 25-31% body fat.
              I didn't know that. I don't know what my body fat is actually. Probably in the 25-31% range. I don't really worry about it that much unless my clothes start to get tight. Then I know I've overdone it on the wine and chocolate.

Originally posted by Stacy15 View Post
              I think you look great!
              Thanks!

I've even been decorating my body lately and that makes me feel even better about it, which is kinda weird.
              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

But I do understand that there are many who would look at me and think to themselves man that lady ought to stop stuffing donuts in her pie hole and get some exercise.
                Those are called bitches with eating disorders. They need to move to North Carolina. If I recall... you are in an affluent part of California. In the rest of the US.... no one sees you at Walmart and thinks you are eating too many donuts. Trust me.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  But I do understand that there are many who would look at me and think to themselves man that lady ought to stop stuffing donuts in her pie hole and get some exercise.
                  I don't think anyone would look at you and think that, unless they're crazy. I must admit that I have had thoughts like that when looking at some people (it's mean and judgmental, I know), but the people who evoke those thoughts are usually two or three times your size.

Oh, and I don't think your thighs look big at all. They kind of look the same size as mine, and I've never thought of my thighs as big. Maybe other people do? If so, they can go jump out a window. My problem is entirely with my waist/belly area. Anyhow, this is quite off topic.

My journal

Comment

Working...
                  X