Overhead squats kicked my ass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhead squats kicked my ass

I've squatted Rippetoe-style up to 125lbs. The other day I overhead squatted 35lbs. Holy moly! I fell down once. I could barely do it. I think I did about 10 reps. I'm so sore I can barely lie down to do bench press and it hurts to cough or laugh. Overhead squats kicked my butt. The basic big lifts have a big hole in them as far as core strength goes.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Kind of humbling, right?? I sheepishly admit to never having heard of them until I read this comment:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1095213
    and I looked at some videos and started doing them. I love them and can actually only do the overhead kind, not the regular kind (bad knees).
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
      Kind of humbling, right?? I sheepishly admit to never having heard of them until I read this comment:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1095213
      and I looked at some videos and started doing them. I love them and can actually only do the overhead kind, not the regular kind (bad knees).
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCWL...e_gdata_player

You can't have knee problems with back squats, but not OH squats. If you do, it's a form issue.

Sbhikes, how has your press progressed, and do you have good shoulder flexibility? Most OH squat problems are due to form and/or flexibility issues.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
        You can't have knee problems with back squats, but not OH squats. If you do, it's a form issue.
        I think it's just something about the weight being behind me as opposed to over me. I don't think there's anything wrong with my form but I'll reassess it.

Comment

Originally posted by little vase View Post
          I think it's just something about the weight being behind me as opposed to over me. I don't think there's anything wrong with my form but I'll reassess it.
          Your knees work identically with back squats and OH squats. Definitely check your form.

Comment

i had a read up about these as i reckon any exercise holding a weight out above your head is way harder than with a much heavier barbell over your shoulders. i think it must change the centre of gravity. there is an article here in my fave t-nation
            T NATION | Two Kinds of Squats You're Not Doing

Comment

I took a few olympic lifting classes and at first I thought I could OH squat since I'd only tried with a broomstick. With actual weight over my head I realized it wasn't over my head, but out in front of me. I wasn't flexible enough to stay nearly upright enough.

There was also this complete stick of a young man, and he could squat down, bar overhead, ass to grass, no back bend, with his ankles practically touching. He had a hell of a time getting back up though.

Comment

Yup. Several shoulder injuries and a ruptured pec will prevent me for ever having the ROM to even attempt this lift.

Comment

My presses no longer progress, but I have been hurt and sick for a while. My problem with overhead squat is lack of core strength. If that bar went slightly forward or back, look out! It's coming down!

Comment

I've found that for OHS I need to do lots of reps with a lighter weight to warm up. My max OHS is about 90 lbs but there are days where I can't stick 55 until I'm on rep 10 or so. Cleans and even (power) snatches I can get up to weight pretty quick but OHS takes me forever to find my groove. So don't give up if you keep dropping the bar - sometimes it takes a while to find the right positioning but once your body knows the feel of the right spot and can find it again you'll find the weight you can use goes up pretty quick. I love OHS

Comment

I think the OHS is pretty badass, as is the entire snatch. I am taking an Olympic lifting class. I don't have much hope to actually being able to do a snatch, but it is fun to learn for now. The lightest they have for me is the bar plus two skinny 5lb plates that lift the bar to the proper height off the floor. I had to use the curl bars to practice the overhead squat part. I doubt I'll be able to put the whole thing together.

Comment

You will be able to do it!

I was just watching this great video last night. This guy is such a great teacher. There are three parts. I'm going to start practicing at home with just the bar as he suggests.

Comment

In addition to core strength (which is a huge factor), it's probably also your thoracic mobility. Not many people have the ability to hold the bar over and extend their back as much as they need to in order to hold the weight overhead. I warm up for my Olympic lifting workouts by laying with my back on a foam roller and extending my hands above my head. It REALLY helps, I have become much more flexible. I believe 100% that you have the ability to snatch, just keep up the good work!

Comment

I bought a 6' long 1" diameter flagpole that I use for upper body stretching of all sorts. Hold it with your arms wide and bring it down behind your back. Try and bring your arms closer together to find that minimum distance.

Now I feel like I'm not alone anymore on this. I'll just keep plugging along and expect to slowly continue to improve.

Comment

Core strength is not the problem. The mechanics of OH squats and low bar back squats are identical. The only difference is you're holding the bar vs the bar resting on your back. If the bar is moving back and forth, it's an issue of form, shoulder flexibility, or shoulder/trap strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X