No announcement yet.

Overhead squats kicked my ass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the mechanics are identical. My back must be more upright than on the low bar back squat. Also, I need core strength to keep my balance and yes, a certain amount of mobility to keep my back in the right position so that the bar does not go forward or backward of my center. None of that is an issue with the low bar squat.

I find the high pulls are also a challenge even with just 55lbs. I am just not that coordinated or athletic. Telling my body to do something and having it do it is a challenge. Still, it's kinda fun to do these more athletic lifts.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
      Core strength is not the problem. The mechanics of OH squats and low bar back squats are identical. The only difference is you're holding the bar vs the bar resting on your back. If the bar is moving back and forth, it's an issue of form, shoulder flexibility, or shoulder/trap strength.

I can't comment on the mechanics being identical as I don't think they are as your more upright in the overhead squat but I do agree that if you are struggling with the bar once it moves back or forth then it def is a shoulder flexibility/upper back strength issue, not a core issue. It's bloody hard work holding it up there and I struggle because I know my shoulders and upper back are my weakest parts. Your abs aren't holding the bar up there, its your shoulders and upper back.

Comment

Well, I am getting better at them. I've practiced them a few times and already feel much more confident with them, less likely to get myself into unrecoverable situations.

Comment

totally! the OHS is so damn technical... the flexibility issues (or mobility, as you have to call it now) can't be understated.

i fucking love it, though.

Comment

Females, for the most part, shouldn't have problems with getting the form of this lift because we naturally have more flexibility in the lats.

If you think these are way harder than back squats, you're not doing back squats right.

Maybe you should have started with a piece of pvc or something with less weight?
            My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
              flexibility issues (or mobility, as you have to call it now)
              The buzzword has changed, but flexibility and mobility do actually have distinct definitions.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Tried the OHS yesterday with a living room chair...definitely tougher than it looks.

Comment

Yeah, but I'm getting better at it. The key is to feel like you are trying to tear the bar apart. I think they are fun.

Also fun is split jerks which I did for the first time today. At first I was really wobbly but then I got the hang of it. Empty bar, of course. I'm taking an olympic lifting class for the fun of it.

The thing is, I am older (48) and have never lifted free weights until now. So these are all new movements for this old body. The only thing I have asked of it for 48 years is to walk around, carry a backpack, do some light housework, run or bicycle. Plus I've had a desk job for over a decade now (before that I had other kinds of jobs.) So yeah, anything new like this is going to be hard and isn't really a question of "you're not doing your back squats right."

Comment

I bought a 1" diameter solid wood 6' flagpole that is useful for many exercises. Such as this.

Comment

I am 23 and doing an overhead squat with an unweighted bar was hella difficult. Maybe once it's a natural movement for you it's as easy as back squats, but a back squat feels so much more natural to begin with.

The guy instructing us also suggested getting a broomstick or something similar to practice everyday.

Comment

Working...
                      X