Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help don't want to completely lose my butt! :-)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help don't want to completely lose my butt! :-)

Hi I am new to the forum and have been doing mostly primal for about 2 months now. ( I do eat dairy ) I am one of those "skinny fat" or "flabby skinny" women (45 years old) who has always, since high school, had a poochy tummy even though I am skinny. Sometimes I even look pregnant even though I'm not. This has improved on the diet, my tummy has shrunk and I"m thrilled! The problem is, I have always had a tiny, flat butt and on this program I am also losing more of my butt!! I don't have any to lose, it will be non-exsistent soon! :-) I was wondering if there are any exercises I could do that might help this, or am I just built this way and there's nothing I can do. Currently for exercise I ski and hike, sometimes hike up the mountain and ski down, and I do some free weights and some intervals either on the stair master or running. In general I am outside all the time doing whatever the season/weather permits--biking, skiing, climbing, swimming, you get the picture. And I also do yoga. Any advice to save my butt??

Add muscle! Squats will do wonders for your glutes . They are also great for your back/posture!
    Depression Lies

Comment

Squats.

Comment

I third the recommendation of squats.

Also, hip/glute bridges: T NATION | Dispelling the Glute Myth

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I have always been afraid of squats because I have arthritis in my knees. Do you know if it's possible to do squats safely with bad knees? I'm hoping the way of eating will help with the arthritis too but so far it hasn't.

Comment

Don't let your knees deload at the bottom of a weighted squat. First start with body weight squats and single leg squats, then progress to weighted squats. Find a good trainer who can evaluate your form so you don't injure yourself.

Comment

I'm going to go against the grain and suggest dumbbell deadlifts since it's geared more towards hip extension and therefore involves more glute activity compared to squats (which I enjoy as well . You might also look at a single leg deadlift as this exercise involves even less movement at the knee. I second Yodiewan's suggestion of bridges and single leg bridges.

That said, increasing muscle mass will probably be difficult to achieve (gender, age, and a naturally skinny build work against you there) BUT not impossible. Muscle tone will definitely have a positive impact on how your glutes look.

It's out of my scope (and can't be guessed) to say what effect an exercise will have on your knee. Research does support the positive benefits of moderate exercise for knee osteoarthritis. Many of the exercises used in these studies focus on the quads and include partial range of motion squats, step ups, and leg extensions.

Comment

I have bad knees too and squats kill. I can't do them. If anything hurts your knees, STOP.

My top three butt builders are barbell deadlifts, barbell glute bridges, and using the recumbent bike at the highest resistance. These three things will give you an ass like nobody's business.

The glute bridge is numero uno.
                How to get a Firm Booty - Glute Bridge Training Session | myomytv.com | Free Fitness Blog

This is a very good deadlift to start with. Smith machine, stiff leg. Get one of the staff at the gym to spot you and show you the proper form. You can progress to a free barbell.
                Butt Exercises - Smith Machine Stiff Leg Deadlifts
                Last edited by little vase; 04-15-2013, 02:18 PM.
                be the hair that knots with my hair
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

Another sneaky butt-builder- kettlebell swings. My kb coach swears she had zero booty before she took up swinging kettlebells.

Comment

I feel my glutes the most after doing stiff-legged deadlifts on a platform.

Comment

Wow everyone thanks so much for the suggestions, this is a great community! I will look into them. I'm pretty sure that like littlevase said, squats would kill my knees too, but I will look into everything you guys suggested. Cool!

Comment

Can't tell a thing without pics!

Comment

I also think that the shape and size of your butt is determined by your genetics. Yes you can make it look aesthetically appealing but to only a certain extent. Squats, Deadlift, walking lunges are great for that. I know my ass was a lot more flat when I used to do a lot more steady state cardio but since I have been doing a lot more sprinting along with heavy lifts, my butt is in its best form. I really have no scientific proof whether steady state vs sprint have anything to do with how the glutes develop but I know for myself this was a big factor.

Comment

I've never had a butt....until I started lifting. Now, slowly but surely I'm developing glute muscles where never there were before and starting to see some shape develop.

Squats and deadlifts are the thing. When I started my knees were wrecked - I couldn't do a bodyweight squat to parallel without knee pain. My trainer started me with bodyweight step ups, then we increased the height of the step, followed by including some light weight then gradually increasing it. A few months later I could do squats without pain.

I would really recommend finding a good trainer to help you build up. If you have arthritis then it might be different for you - my knees were wrecked from half marathon training...increasing mileage too quickly and being overweight.

Oh, and by the way, I'm 46 so building muscle as a woman at that age is far from unachievable. Actually I was complimented on the muscles in my arms last weekend at the climbing wall...so chuffed!

Comment

Another thing to check out--though probably a lot slower to have an effect than lifting--is Esther Gokhale's book on Steps to a Pain-Free Back, in which she shows how correct posture, especially when walking, increases the strength of (therefore reshapes) the glutes. She takes her cues from societies where back pain isn't common, and has a lot of photos; a common theme of those with her model posture is a well-developed butt!

Comment

Working...
                              X