No announcement yet.

Barefoot Squats and Deadlifts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do all my lifts in Merrel trail gloves, and my workout partner just discovered that barefoot>tennis shoes for squats. His form improved immensely when he took off the shoes. I think the lift in the heel was causing him to tilt forward, so his weight was on the balls of the feet rather than the heels.

Comment

Originally posted by TTBlue21 View Post
      are you suggesting a shoe would not provide more protection against a 2.5 pound weight than a sock? I didn't say 45 pound weight did I?
      Yes. Unless you are wearing steel toed boots, dropped weight equals hurt foot. How much protection does 1mm of nylon provide?

Comment

I have New Balance minimus that I wear most of the time. They seem pretty good. No heel rise, well, I think it was 3mm when the shoes were new but I doubt there's much heel rise anymore. They feel pretty thin now. I sometimes wear vibrams but I don't like how hot my feet get in them. I don't feel a need for special weight lifting shoes. I can't lift that much weight anyway. Maybe if I was lifting impressive weights things would be different. My understanding of weight lifting shoes is there is support on the sides for pushing the side of the shoe somehow and also the soles have a wooden plank for added stability. I can't see ever needing such a thing. What I really need are stronger hamstrings and glutes.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Once you try squatting, pressing, and Olympic lifting in weightlifting shoes, you will never wear anything else. There's just something real nice about the feeling like your feet are stuck in concrete.

Deadlifts are a bit trickier, depending on your proportions, you might like bare feet better.

Comment

interesting guys, thanks for the insights.

I've read a lot about the New Balance...I'm getting convinced to buy those.
            My Health and Nutrition Blog
            @ VIBRANTE
            http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
              Deadlifts are a bit trickier, depending on your proportions, you might like bare feet better.
              Yeah, I tried deadlifting in my weightlifting shoes once, that was enough to decide to forgo shoes on that lift.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally415 View Post
                interesting guys, thanks for the insights.

I've read a lot about the New Balance...I'm getting convinced to buy those.
                Shop around and try them all on to see how they fit your feet. The merrells ended up feeling way better on my feet than the new balances did

Comment

Wrestling shoes work well for me. But, hey as an x-wreslter I got a few pairs laying around. They are low to no sole shoes with great flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                    There was a point when I did all my deadlifts with the little 25 lb plates for the extra ROM. This would basically emulate what's called a "deficit deadlift"
                    Hehe.... This guy is my hero!

Comment

That guy makes me feel better about the gorilla-grunts that sneak out of me during deadlifts

Comment

Originally posted by Kata View Post
                        That guy makes me feel better about the gorilla-grunts that sneak out of me during deadlifts
                        That guy makes me want to splurge for $6 worth of cinder blocks.
                        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I bought a 2x12 and cut it into slabs that I stack for all sorts of exercises.

Comment

I usually just stand on a stack of plates.

Comment

Originally posted by Kata View Post
                              I usually just stand on a stack of plates.
                              I'd love to buy a stack of extra plates, but I think the cinder blocks will be cheaper.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I turn into that guy when I do my deads hehe...
                                then I out my earrings back on and leave feeling awesome!
                                My Health and Nutrition Blog
                                @ VIBRANTE
                                http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X