Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breath Control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Breath Control

    Check out this article I recently penned for bodybuilding.com about breathing techniques for strength training. As always, comments and questions are welcome!

    Bodybuilding.com - Your Hidden Source Of Strength: 3 Steps To Better Breathing
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

    sigpic

  • #2
    Once again Al, spot on! I've been using these techniques for some time, and it's amazing how much it can affect performance. Keep up the good work, and thanks.
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

    Comment


    • #3
      I have never completely emptied my lungs because it's physically impossible. There will always be RV (residual volume).
      "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

      Comment


      • #4
        The holding breath thing has a lot of relevancy in what I do. I find that it definitely is easier to do so when performing one of my heavier deadlifts and back squats. No passing out yet!
        My chocolatey Primal journey

        Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SoccerGrok View Post
          Once again Al, spot on! I've been using these techniques for some time, and it's amazing how much it can affect performance. Keep up the good work, and thanks.
          Thanks, SoccerGrok!

          Originally posted by Fernaldo View Post
          I have never completely emptied my lungs because it's physically impossible. There will always be RV (residual volume).
          Boy is my face red! (That's a breath-holding pun, btw.)

          Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
          The holding breath thing has a lot of relevancy in what I do. I find that it definitely is easier to do so when performing one of my heavier deadlifts and back squats. No passing out yet!
          Right on!
          "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

          "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

          My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Great article Al! I've been working on handstands recently and had already figured out for myself that if I really tense up my core they become easier. I hadn't considered using the valsalva maneuver like in weight training but it's pretty obvious when you think about it and has helped me hold the handstand longer already!

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks, Zilog! Keep working those handstands!
              "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

              "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

              My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

              sigpic

              Comment

              Working...
              X