No announcement yet.

The damn gym makes me get sick all the time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aw Sb I think some one is in need of some paleo pampering. You're partner ought to make you some bone broth and put a pull-up bar for you!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
      Yeah, because human sweat is soooo dirrrty and disgusting... Strange, I never get sick from visiting the gym almost every day, I guess it is because that I am so much more dirty than all of you clean and disinfected guys, so there is nothing that can make me ill anymore...
      Glad to know there's yet another aspect of life in which you consider yourself superior to the rest of us.

People bleed in gyms. They fail to wash their hands after using the toilet and then touch the bars. I've seen some nasty stuff in commercial gyms. That said, I didn't decide to lift at home out of germophobia. I help teach a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class to kids aged 7-12, so there's no shortage of immunologic stimulus in my life.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I don't see why a gym would have a tendency to make you sick more than most any other public place...

Comment

For me, the worst was working in an office. All the parents of kids who picked up colds in day care and snuffled all over everything would come in sick. I was never sick so often in my life.

Comment

I truly think it's all the college kids. I got sick around the Christmas holidays and now around Spring Break. All the ones in my building (using the bathroom and touching the doors in my building) are from all over the world (Computer science and Engineering majors). Who the hell knows what diseases they are jet-setting about with.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Probably right on college kid thing.

If you're saying they are engineering and computer science majors, just imagine how many keyboards and mice they touch on a daily basis...nobody sanitizes keyboards and mice before using, and colleges tend to have what I like to call "public computers" (computer labs open to all students, coming in from everywhere, sneezing on their hands then using the hands to type and operate the mouse...then comes the next kid, then the next kid, then the next kid.) Then they come home, having built an immunity from so many random disease-infested keyboards, and they sneeze the new strands all over the gym equiptment. You are more affected by this as you have not been building up a tolerance all semester.
              Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
              Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
              Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
              F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Comment

At least they don't touch MY computer. But there are door handles everywhere that you have to grab and they do touch those. And 20,000 undergraduates have free access to the gym. I have to pay. I have to wait in line for everything unless I go in at 6:30AM. And god help you if you can't find two 2.5lb plates nearby because if you leave your weights for one second someone swoops in and starts unloading your bar.

So today I walked around the gym with a cloth and washed everything before I touched it, not just after. We'll see how that works.

I can't imagine I'm working out too much. The only lifting I've done lately has been upper-body and at lower weights than when I was trying to progress. No squats, no deadlifts. A little stretching. I don't think I can do the starting strength kind of progression anymore. Not sure what I will do next. I think the volume of 531 would kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                  At least they don't touch MY computer. But there are door handles everywhere that you have to grab and they do touch those. And 20,000 undergraduates have free access to the gym. I have to pay. I have to wait in line for everything unless I go in at 6:30AM. And god help you if you can't find two 2.5lb plates nearby because if you leave your weights for one second someone swoops in and starts unloading your bar.

So today I walked around the gym with a cloth and washed everything before I touched it, not just after. We'll see how that works.

I can't imagine I'm working out too much. The only lifting I've done lately has been upper-body and at lower weights than when I was trying to progress. No squats, no deadlifts. A little stretching. I don't think I can do the starting strength kind of progression anymore. Not sure what I will do next. I think the volume of 531 would kill me.
                  5/3/1 is way less volume than starting strength, even if you were only lifting 2 days/week. Karl Schudt over at the starting strength forums has a variant where he eliminates the "3" week and the deload week, leaving just the "5" and the "5/3/1" week. I have had great success with it, despite training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 4 days/week. I do a 2 days/week variant that I'm sure you could handle. Use the calculator at blackironbeast.com to determine your lifts. You can do 2 lifts/day 2 days/week. It would be 1 day 3 x 5 of squats & bench, 1 day 3 x 5 of deads & press, the next week 5/3/1 of squats & bench on day, 5/3/1 of deads and press 1 day. Add 5 lbs every 2 weeks. Or 2.5 if you ever bought those plumbing flanges.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

All the ones in my building (using the bathroom and touching the doors in my building) are from all over the world (Computer science and Engineering majors). Who the hell knows what diseases they are jet-setting about with.
                    I've lived in the Middle East for almost five years now, and have "jet-setted about" in various other parts of Asia during that time - so live, work, train and interact with people "from all over the world" on a daily basis. I guess I should just start writing my will now...

Comment

Using that calculator, and picking one of the 2x a week programs, I get this. I admit I put in really low weights for squat and deadlift, but for bench and press I put in weights I actually am sorta stuck at.

Look at the one in red! And 10x chinups? 10x0 = 0. I don't think I'm strong enough for this program!

What is the "5+" Is that do as many as you can?

squat
                      5  45 []
                      5  50 [2.5]
                      3  60 [5,2.5]
                      5  65 [10]
                      5  75 [10,5]
                      5+  85 [10,10]

bench press
                      5  45 []
                      5  45 []
                      3  45 []
                      5  45 []
                      5  52.5 [2.5,1.25]
                      5+  57.5 [5,1.25]

chin-ups

back raises

dumbbell bench press

rear laterals

deadlift
                      5  50 [2.5]
                      5  62.5 [5,2.5,1.25]
                      3  75 [10,5]
                      5  80 [10,5,2.5]
                      5  92.5 [10,10,2.5,1.25]
                      5+  105 [25,5]

military press
                      5  45 []
                      5  45 []
                      3  45 []
                      5  45 []
                      5  45 []
                      5+  45 []

dumbbell row

dips
                      10-15  
                      10-15  
                      10-15  

good mornings

curls

Comment

Using that calculator, and picking one of the 2x a week programs, I get this. I admit I put in really low weights for squat and deadlift, but for bench and press I put in weights I actually am sorta stuck at.

Look at the one in red! And 10x chinups? 10x0 = 0. I don't think I'm strong enough for this program!

squat
                        5  45 []
                        5  50 [2.5]
                        3  60 [5,2.5]
                        5  65 [10]
                        5  75 [10,5]
                        5+  85 [10,10]

bench press
                        5  45 []
                        5  45 []
                        3  45 []
                        5  45 []
                        5  52.5 [2.5,1.25]
                        5+  57.5 [5,1.25]

chin-ups

back raises

dumbbell bench press

rear laterals

deadlift
                        5  50 [2.5]
                        5  62.5 [5,2.5,1.25]
                        3  75 [10,5]
                        5  80 [10,5,2.5]
                        5  92.5 [10,10,2.5,1.25]
                        5+  105 [25,5]

military press
                        5  45 []
                        5  45 []
                        3  45 []
                        5  45 []
                        5  45 []
                        5+  45 []

dumbbell row

dips
                        10-15  
                        10-15  
                        10-15  

good mornings

curls
                        You don't have to do the auxilary exercises. Depends on your goal. I've been just doing the main lifts and it feels good. I don't really care if I progresseach month, but I like the variance and I wasn't progressing linearly any more.

Comment

squat
                          5  45 []
                          5  50 [2.5]
                          3  60 [5,2.5]
                          5  65 [10]
                          5  75 [10,5]
                          5+  85 [10,10]

bench press
                          5  45 []
                          5  45 []
                          3  45 []
                          5  45 []
                          5  52.5 [2.5,1.25]
                          5+  57.5 [5,1.25]

chin-ups

back raises

dumbbell bench press

rear laterals

deadlift
                          5  50 [2.5]
                          5  62.5 [5,2.5,1.25]
                          3  75 [10,5]
                          5  80 [10,5,2.5]
                          5  92.5 [10,10,2.5,1.25]
                          5+  105 [25,5]

military press
                          5  45 []
                          5  45 []
                          3  45 []
                          5  45 []
                          5  45 []
                          5+  45 []

dumbbell row

dips
                          10-15  
                          10-15  
                          10-15  

good mornings

curls
                          Anything that doesn't have a weight listed next to the # of reps is an exercise not to do.

Yes, 5+, 3+, and 1+ mean AMRAP sets, but it's a success if you hit 5, 3, and 1 rep respectively.

I don't do the "3" week, and the calculator doesn't even seem to calculate the deload week, which I also do not do.

I think you can tell the calculator if you have a <45# bar. Otherwise, your warm-up for press and your sets across work out to 45. Definitely don't do that, obviously.

So this is the calculator telling you to squat and bench one day, deadlift and press the next. Pick your own accessory work. I add chin-ups and dips and some power cleans. But I'm younger and maler than you
                          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I might try this or something like it. I had been thinking ALL ALONG during my efforts at Starting Strength that there wasn't enough reinforcement, that my newfound strength didn't "stick." I almost never could just add more weight every single time, right from the start I struggled with it. I had been thinking the whole time I really should do more reps at least some of the time. But everybody over there just yelled at me anytime I said it felt like my body wasn't responding properly to the program. I'm kind of at a place now, after hurting my back, where I just go in and do what I can. I try to make progress but once I achieve my 5 reps, I might try for 8 reps, 10 reps, etc. the next time rather than move up. I finally had a day where I felt no pain, not even a twinge after squats, so maybe I can resume or try this 531 or something.

I wish that calculator didn't ask me about plates and bars. It's very tedious to use because of that. It's just javascript and html so maybe I will download and modify it.

Comment

May very well be a shortage of oxygen. Weight lifting extracts oxygen from your body. Especially when your inside, together with a bunch of other people who are training. Pathogens got free game in a deoxygenated environment. Definitely consider Hydrogen peroxide.
                              Last edited by Gadsie; 04-13-2013, 12:59 AM.
                              well then

Comment

i was surfing the net whilst waiting for something to process the other day and found this. not sure how true it really is but it is interesting all the same.

10 shocking fitness facts

not sure if it will load on the correct fact or at the beginning. it is fact # 8

Morning exercise could make you ill

While daily exercise is great for your health, research suggests that night owls may have an advantage over early-bird exercisers. A study by a researcher from Brunel University found that heavy training sessions early in the morning compromised the immune system and put athletes at increased risk of infection from bacteria and viruses. While a morning jog or gentle exercise session is unlikely to put you at great risk - and may in fact be a great way to start the day - it may be best to save heavier workouts for later in the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X