Stretches to increase squat mobility?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretches to increase squat mobility?

Hi all, what are some good stretches to increase my flexibility and mobility in my squats? I know ... Google ... but I want to hear about what has been successful for people in this community.

go and check out mobility wod. and use his search feature.

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
      go and check out mobility wod. and use his search feature.
      Enter the pain cave a man, come out a supple leopard.
      The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
        Enter the pain cave a man, come out a supple leopard.
        Kstar is a crazy mofo. Brilliant, but crazy as a loon

Comment

At the risk of sounding like an ass, for most people a squat stretch works pretty well.
          Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
          Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
          The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
          Brute Force Sandbags
          www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
          http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

also, look up the blog "katy says" -- she also has some info on the squat.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
              At the risk of sounding like an ass, for most people a squat stretch works pretty well.
              Haha, I was going to suggest that as well.

Also, maybe work on ankle dorsiflexion:
              How to Improve Wrist and Ankle Mobility | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Check out "Squat Rx" on youtube.

Comment

KStar is awesome, but finding what I need on his site is impossible. I gotta back up Coach here- get all the way down into the bottom of a squat position and hang out for a bit. If you aren't flexible, hold on to something to keep from falling over backwards, or put something under your heels.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                    KStar is awesome, but finding what I need on his site is impossible. I gotta back up Coach here- get all the way down into the bottom of a squat position and hang out for a bit. If you aren't flexible, hold on to something to keep from falling over backwards, or put something under your heels.
                    +1 on this. I've some flexibilty issues and the only way I could learn how to do a good squat was, indeed, to practice squatting

It DOES help to raise your heels just a bit - it helps to remove ankle flexibility out of the equation. One of the pre-hab drills my trainer had me doing for a time involved a dumbbell:

On a low surface, place a dumbbell. Pick it up and raise it in front of you - this is only for balance, the point is not to lift it or to use your shoulders - it is just a counter-balance. Slowly go down into a squat - if your heels are elevated a bit this will be much easier than if they are not. Once you are as deep as you can go, hold it for a few seconds before going back up - still holding the dumbbell. I did this for 2 sets of 10 reps.

A stretch you can do - once again with elevated heels if you need to. Reach down and grab your toes - bending your knees as needed - and they shouldn't ever be locked anyway. Keeping hold of those toes, go down into a squat, then SLOWLY - raise your butt but never letting go of those toes. Count to 5 as you raise your butt - I also did this for 2 sets at 10 reps. It REALLY helps and I saw very quick improvement with this.

Comment

Originally posted by jfreaksho View Post
                      I did this, and I have recommended it to others. It's amazing how fast you can pick this up.

Comment

We use one called the couch stretch quite a bit, check out the tutorials on google for that one.
                        Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

I love to stretch out on my couch but I'm having trouble seeing how it would help my squat...
                          10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
                          Now: low 150's, 33" waist
                          Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Comment

I think what he is referring to is a stretch where you stand in front of your couch as if you were about to sit down, and then put your knee into the crease where the back and seat cushions meet, and then stretch your leg/hip.

Found the video! Episode 2: Don't Go In the Pain Cave - YouTube

But despite being able to find that, Mr. Starret's site is indeed very hard to find anything on. But its still worth it to look.

Comment

It has been suggested to me to foam roll my glutes using a bench. The position to get in to foam roll the glutes also stretches the adductors. I've also been given a list of stretches to do that primarily target the low back, hamstrings and adductors. The starting strength book shows a person just getting into a squat position and pushing the knees out with the arms. This seems to stretch me pretty well for the squat if I'm feeling cold and stiff.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X