In need of strengh training ideas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of strengh training ideas

I am looking to mix up my strength training. I am tired of the usual squats, lunges, push-ups, assited pull-ups, etc. How do you "lift heavy things"? Know of any good resources (websites, books, etc.)?

Are you looking to join a gym? Or just do body-weight, gym free workouts?

Comment

I go to the gym for strength training and enjoy both body weight and weighted workouts.

Here is my last week to give you some idea of where I am coming from.

Mon: squats, push-ups, lunges, planks, balance work on bosu
      Tues: jog 2 min/ walk 1 min x20
      Wed: tablata on bike (damn that's hard), ankle mobility (broke the ankle last oct, still rehabing)
      Thus: jog 1 min/ walk 30 sec x 30
      Fri: bench press, pull-downs, sqauts, wood-chop, row
      Sat: yoga, driving range

Comment

The sledgehammer workout will definitely mix it up for you...
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/sledgehammer-workout/
        So will the Shovelglove... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ustrated-Guide

Comment

There have been quite a few recent threads on this forum, and in Mark's Blog (search archives), on sledgehammers, kettlebells, clubs, maces, bodyweight... Are there enough ideas here for you to consider or is there something else you're looking for?

Comment

Different exercises to mix things up. Wall sits, jumping lunges, burpees, hanging leg raises, pistols, renegade rows, farmer walks, bent-over barbell rows, renegade rows, L-sits, etc. Spend some time reading good bodybuilding/strength training blogs, and you'll get lots of ideas for fun stuff to try.

Bodyweight work for time. Compete with yourself. How many pushups, squats, and situps can you do in 15 minutes? Or, how quickly can you do 100 pushups, 300 squats, and 100 situps?

Get out of the gym. Carry sandbags up a hill. Haul buckets of water to your animals/shrubs/pool/whatever. Build a fence for somebody -- without renting a posthole auger.
            Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Great suggestions!!!

Comment

I'm a big fan of the body weight exercises my self. Also, Tim his his shovelglove thread on here. That doesn't take a major investment and would give you a fresh way to build up some muscle. The name sounds kind of strange, but I plan on getting a hammer and joining in on the fun.
                http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Thanks all. I appreciate the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
                    Different exercises to mix things up. Wall sits, jumping lunges, burpees, hanging leg raises, pistols, renegade rows, farmer walks, bent-over barbell rows, renegade rows, L-sits, etc. Spend some time reading good bodybuilding/strength training blogs, and you'll get lots of ideas for fun stuff to try.

Bodyweight work for time. Compete with yourself. How many pushups, squats, and situps can you do in 15 minutes? Or, how quickly can you do 100 pushups, 300 squats, and 100 situps?

Get out of the gym. Carry sandbags up a hill. Haul buckets of water to your animals/shrubs/pool/whatever. Build a fence for somebody -- without renting a posthole auger.
                    OMG... if I wasn't married...

Comment

Originally posted by arthurb999 View Post
                      OMG... if I wasn't married...
                      ...You'd come build my fence with me? Awesome.
                      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Found this drill when researching about Gym Jones

"30-30s."
                        Take two 20-pound dumbbells. Raise them to shoulders and push them above your head as many times as you can in 30 seconds. Then hold the weights up, arms locked, for 30 more seconds, and repeat until you've done four one-minute sets without a rest
                        Give them nothing! But, take from them everything!

Comment

As to some new bodyweight exercise ideas, check out Pavel's "The Naked Warrior" or Matt Furey's "Combat Conditioning". I like 'em both, but admittedly, you will have to get past a little rhetoric to get to the heart of their messages, but they do have some solid stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X