Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who don't make faces when they deadlift

I don't get it.

It seems I'm the only one who makes a grunt face when I'm deadlifting.

I'm I lifting too heavy for me? is this why I'm progressing very slow on upping the weights?
    I'm 5'2 about 115 lbs and lifting 150 lbs.

I see videos of people and people at the gym who lift a good amount of weight deadlifting and have a neutral face.

I'm doing StrongLifts btw.

Deadlifts are so not pretty for a girl lol, I have bruises all over my chins!!

But I love deads.
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

If you are progressing you are doing it right...get that face on.
    Videos don't really count as they will be using lighter weights for the demo.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Comment

Everyone is different. Some lifts leave me grimacing and grunting. Others, no noticeable effect. Sometimes it depends on what rep or set I am on. Who cares what other people are or aren't doing? If you're improving, do what you gotta do.

Comment

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I'm okay.
        @ VIBRANTE

Comment

It's definitely better to avoid making feces when you deadlift. Try lifting on an empty stomach maybe?

Comment

I think if your not making faces your probably not lifting enough or truly challenging yourself. My face lookes like its going to explode during deads.

Comment

I agree with the others. Keep it up!

Also, you may want to wear long pants or knee socks on DL day. Scrapes are "cool" and all, but if you don't protect your skin there, you can get some permanent scars, possible infection, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally415 View Post
                I'm I lifting too heavy for me?
                If the weight goes up, it's not too heavy. (assuming you're not compromising form in a way that makes injury likely)

is this why I'm progressing very slow on upping the weights?
                I'm 5'2 about 115 lbs and lifting 150 lbs.
                The fact that you're little and the weight is big is why progress is slow. Or you could be recovering inadequately. How often are you deadlifting? Are you eating enough? Sleeping enough?

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                I agree with the others. Keep it up!

Also, you may want to wear long pants or knee socks on DL day. Scrapes are "cool" and all, but if you don't protect your skin there, you can get some permanent scars, possible infection, etc.
                You can make some really cool shin guards out of 1L soda bottles. Cut the bottom and top off, cut lengthwise, and stick them in your awesome 80's-style tube socks (either the ones with the red/blue stripes or the yellow/green stripes).
                The Champagne of Beards

Comment

You think making faces is bad? Have a look at this guy - sick of deadlifting - YouTube

I think I pull faces on most (if not all) of my lifts. I got my husband to video my first "more than bodyweight" deadlift back in November and it's not a pretty sight! Just for the sake of comparison, I'm 5'6" about 145lbs lifting 170lbs.

Comment

I just bought some shin sleeves--mine are beat up too.

Comment

Haven't done deadlifts in decades. You guys really are making it sound great!

Still working up my squat form, probably will defer deadlifts a few more weeks.
                      10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
                      Now: low 150's, 33" waist
                      Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Comment

awesome!!
                        @ VIBRANTE

Comment

@ jmsmall hehe you should give them a go again

they are total beast mode lol
                          @ VIBRANTE

Comment

RichMahogany~ I never thought my petite self could be the reason why my big lifts progress very slow. Makes sense!

I'm also probably not recovering well. Thanks for pointing this out! I have good eats, (plants & animals) but I'm probably not eating enough. I get full fast and eating past 2000 cals I have to MAKE myself eat.

I rarely stretch :/

I deadlift twice a week 1 set of heavy 5 reps
                            @ VIBRANTE

Comment

I'm also probably not recovering well. Thanks for pointing this out! I have good eats, (plants & animals) but I'm probably not eating enough. I get full fast and eating past 2000 cals I have to MAKE myself eat.
                              So make yourself eat. I'm doing that right now, eating 3 meals when I prefer 2, keeping calories and nutrients high. I'm lifting more than ever before and definitely not gaining an unreasonable amount of fat. I'm not at my leanest, but I'm really not too far off.

I deadlift twice a week 1 set of heavy 5 reps
                              Well you can't deadlift twice a week forever (assuming you're adding weight to the bar regularly). I'm not sure if you're at the point where that's too much, but you might be. I'm deadlifting once a week nowadays and contemplating whether to cut that down.

Moral of the story: Remember it's not lifting that makes your muscles stronger, it's recovering from lifting.

Eat more and sleep more and you'll lift more. It's actually that simple.
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Working...
                              X