People who don't make faces when they deadlift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well you can't deadlift twice a week forever (assuming you're adding weight to the bar regularly). I'm not sure if you're at the point where that's too much, but you might be. I'm deadlifting once a week nowadays and contemplating whether to cut that down.

Moral of the story: Remember it's not lifting that makes your muscles stronger, it's recovering from lifting.

Eat more and sleep more and you'll lift more. It's actually that simple.
    This. You shouldn't be deadlifting 2x week. you're lifting big for a small person. You tax your CNS as well DL'ing. You can squat 2x a week, but should really only DL 1x a week.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
      Well you can't deadlift twice a week forever (assuming you're adding weight to the bar regularly). I'm not sure if you're at the point where that's too much, but you might be. I'm deadlifting once a week nowadays and contemplating whether to cut that down.
      Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
      This. You shouldn't be deadlifting 2x week. you're lifting big for a small person. You tax your CNS as well DL'ing. You can squat 2x a week, but should really only DL 1x a week.
      I beg to differ. Look at Pavel Tsatsouline. Namely his Power to the People book. He recommends taking the deadlift (or variation) and an overhead or side press variation and doing two sets of five, five days a week. It works for a lot of people. Most people who use it eventually stop, not because of lack of progress, but to change things up more.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Moose View Post
        I beg to differ. Look at Pavel Tsatsouline. Namely his Power to the People book. He recommends taking the deadlift (or variation) and an overhead or side press variation and doing two sets of five, five days a week. It works for a lot of people. Most people who use it eventually stop, not because of lack of progress, but to change things up more.
        I'm assuming Pavel is talking about very light sets, because you cannot lift your 5 rep max five days a week. I'm going to go with Rippetoe on this and say to deadlift once a week. For that matter, I usually do one work set of DLs, which is usually at or close to my 5 RM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Reena View Post
          I'm assuming Pavel is talking about very light sets, because you cannot lift your 5 rep max five days a week. I'm going to go with Rippetoe on this and say to deadlift once a week. For that matter, I usually do one work set of DLs, which is usually at or close to my 5 RM.
          Nope. One heavy set, followed by another set at 90% that weight. And constantly adding weight to the bar through different methods of periodization (sp?). Also, if you want to use his "Russian Bear" program, same two sets above, then drop the weight down to 80% and crank out as many sets as your body will allow. Though, admittedly, THAT routine is definitely not something you could do for extended periods of time.

No offense to Rippetoe, I am a huge fan of his and have used Starting Strength with success before, but I definitely don't agree with him on everything (deadlift volume being one of them) and many other coaches I respect, while they respect him, too, disagree with him on many things as well.

Comment

Nope. One heavy set, followed by another set at 90% that weight. And constantly adding weight to the bar through different methods of periodization (sp?). Also, if you want to use his "Russian Bear" program, same two sets above, then drop the weight down to 80% and crank out as many sets as your body will allow. Though, admittedly, THAT routine is definitely not something you could do for extended periods of time.

No offense to Rippetoe, I am a huge fan of his and have used Starting Strength with success before, but I definitely don't agree with him on everything (deadlift volume being one of them) and many other coaches I respect, while they respect him, too, disagree with him on many things as well.
            Ok, we'll have to agree to disagree!

Comment

The amount of weight one can deadlift goes up indefinitely with this method, but people stop? At what new PR do they get bored and switch to different types of programming? I call shenanigans.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Once the weight got really heavy to me on the deadlift once a week was more than enough. Deadlift day is always my favorite.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

With a weight that heavy (wrt bw) you might be ready for a new program. If you're no longer making linear gains you might want to look into wendler 531

Comment

Believe me, if you reach deadlifting with 180-200 kg, than making trying NOT to make weird faces becomes impossible....
                    I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Getting fit is also about managing your mindset:
                    http://getfitmindset.com

Comment

So do the weighlifting belts help?
                      10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
                      Now: low 150's, 33" waist
                      Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Comment

Yes, they're of great help, I think. But don't use them for all your sets, just the really heavy ones.

Comment

Today I showed up a somehow weird face when deadlifting 480 lbs and tore a hole in my shorts...
                          "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Learning a lot through all the comments on here.

I need to go back to my good sleeping habits because lately I've been going to sleep later even when I'm starting to feel sleepy. It's hard when you want to stay awake to learn new stuff and socialize online.

I'm going to up my cals and see how that goes.

If I were to cut back on my DL and do them once a week, how would I work that into 5x5 StrongLifts? One week its DL one day, and the next week it is 2 days.
                            My Health and Nutrition Blog
                            @ VIBRANTE
                            http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ally415 View Post
                              Learning a lot through all the comments on here.

I need to go back to my good sleeping habits because lately I've been going to sleep later even when I'm starting to feel sleepy. It's hard when you want to stay awake to learn new stuff and socialize online.

I'm going to up my cals and see how that goes.

If I were to cut back on my DL and do them once a week, how would I work that into 5x5 StrongLifts? One week its DL one day, and the next week it is 2 days.
                              If you reach the end of a novice linear progression, I'd opine that Stronglifts 5x5 is no longer appropriate programming. I'm not saying you're there yet, but you might be. Get your sleep and diet in order and see if you can recover between workouts. If not, I'm a big fan of Wendler's 5/3/1. Get the book, but use the calculator at blackironbeast.com
                              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I don't know if I make faces but I do sometimes make noises. Sometimes I even get actual tears after I'm done deadlifting.
                                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X