Comments requested on form in Squats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments requested on form in Squats

Here is my recent squat effort, with 45 lbs each arm (don't have a rack yet.) Have already maxed out the PowerBlock. I have a weight vest I can add.

Any comments on improving my form?

squat video 3-16-13 - YouTube
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

More back extension (both lumbar & thoracic), a little more depth (maybe 2"), get a rack and a barbell.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Don't lean over so far, you should be pretty much straight up hinging at your hips. Also, deeper, your ass should touch your calves.

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
        your ass should touch your calves.
        I don't agree. Your hip creases should reach an inch or two lower than the tops of your patellas at the bottom. Going much lower will result in slackened hamstrings that can't contribute to the upward drive of your hips.
        The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
          I don't agree. Your hip creases should reach an inch or two lower than the tops of your patellas at the bottom. Going much lower will result in slackened hamstrings that can't contribute to the upward drive of your hips.
          Olympic squats are ass-to-grass. Untill I see otherwise in the olympics, I will always advocate for full range of motion.

Comment

Keep your back straighter...like your t-shirt should face the ceiling, not floor

Comment

Originally posted by WeldingHank View Post
              Olympic squats are ass-to-grass. Untill I see otherwise in the olympics, I will always advocate for full range of motion.
              There's no squat in Olympic weightlifting. There's the snatch and there's the clean-and-jerk. You never have and never will see a squat contested in the Olympics.

Powerlifting-legal squats (the only competitive squat that exists to my knowledge) are required to reach parallel (which I already defined above, and suggested going deeper than by 1-2 inches).
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
                There's no squat in Olympic weightlifting. There's the snatch and there's the clean-and-jerk. You never have and never will see a squat contested in the Olympics.

Powerlifting-legal squats (the only competitive squat that exists to my knowledge) are required to reach parallel (which I already defined above, and suggested going deeper than by 1-2 inches).
                Owned.

Yes. Go parallel. Its hard to critique tho without a barbell.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
                  Its hard to critique tho without a barbell.
                  Yeah, it's pretty much moot without the proper equipment. Squat stands, a barbell, and a set of plates is a worthwhile investment.
                  The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Keep your chest up and don't be afraid to go ass-to-ground.

Comment

Thanks, I have the Powerblocks because they save space and right now I'd have to juggle to get a power rack in there. I've got some barbells in the basement and a rack I made out of 2x4's years ago, could screw that back together. I'm just three weeks into weighted squatting and am amazed how fast it's coming back (I'm 58!) Noticing one problem with dumbbell squats is that it is hard to get knees out far enough. The video revealed what you guys noticed, that I'm not going quite as low as I felt like I was going. Will work on being more upright.
                      10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
                      Now: low 150's, 33" waist
                      Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Moose View Post
                        Keep your chest up and don't be afraid to go ass-to-ground.
                        +1

I think this will solve the majority of the problems of your lift. Otherwise, pretty decent job!
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I think with dumbbell squats it is hard to assume the same positions as barbell squats. It also takes a heck of a lot of arm strength to hold a dumbbell or two compared to just laying a barbell on your back.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Chest up, weight on the middle-end of the foot and keep your back flat.
                            When you are in the bottom position and your back arches, remember yourself the cue: CHEST UP!
                            I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Getting fit is also about managing your mindset:
                            http://getfitmindset.com

Comment

Its really hard to do real squats with dumbells. What makes squats a full body excercise is all the muscles you use to stabilize the weight above shoulder lever. I would recomend doing dumbell deadlifts over squats as far as using dumbells. ALSO, what you could try is goblet squats which is where you hold the weight in front of you and squat. Squating with barbell is easier to maintain form because you can squeze your lats together to help point your chest up and out. Also, dont necesarily think of squating as squating, think of it as sitting back and on the way up think of it as thrusting your hips and driving down with your heels, this will make it easier to feel that weight transfer the right way. I love me some squats! Good on you for getting in there and lifting heavy things! I just got my dad onto primal eating and now I am working on getting him into heavy lifting to! Well done sir and keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                              X