Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americans are in Better Shape than Europeans (in some ways)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that every time I've been in England/Europe I notice fewer people who look like they seriously lift. I'm really good at noticing serious lifters. I don't mean the steroid monkeys--it's just easy to tell when someone has a real commitment to moving some really heavy iron around. Anyway, there are fewer of them than I see in the US. Also, when I went to school in the UK it was hard to find a good gym to work out at for the months I was there.

I get what the OP was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Vman View Post
      Take for example someone like Mark Sisson himself. Not total meathead muscles but to the point that you can take one look at him and say, "Man that guy works out". I get your point but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who are good shape and have some muscle.
      I believe that if you meet Mark Sisson walking in the streets in normal clothings he will appear lean or skinny as most people in Europe, so your observations from Euorope must be from places where people are using less clothes, like they usually are doing in places like Southern California or Miami?
      "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

Take for example someone like Mark Sisson himself. Not total meathead muscles but to the point that you can take one look at him and say, "Man that guy works out". I get your point but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people who are good shape and have some muscle.
        Provide a picture of what the heck you are talking about. About 40% of the males in my class alone look like what I now imagine you're referring to. Where did you go in Europe exactly? I'm starting to think you must've hang out in the frat boy clubs or the tourist beaches or something.

Mark Sisson is an interesting case because - just like the dudes in the 300 movie - he put himself through some pretty vigorious dietary torture to achieve that physique. Namely his endurance years. It does stuff to your physique that most people will not achieve or even try to approach because calculating how many calories you need a day when you work out heavily, then eat just enough to meet the bare minimum while still getting the right amount of protein and micronutrients needed to build muscle... well, let's just say it's not something I'mma try out anytime soon.

Comment

Hm, think you are right. I don't see lots of guys toned like Mark. It's considered a bit extreme overhere (Holland). Also we eat lots of grains. We dutch bike a lot untill we reach the age of going to work and buy a car. But this is of course very generally speaking. Btw, obesity is becoming a big issue over here especially since lot of children are becoming obese. Government tries to rule, but not very successfully yet. Ironically, a semi gouvernmental programma for children trying to educate them about food was promoted by a guy (former gp) who had like 40 pounds overweight himself, haha. He lost some weight now, but stil... stupid. Which countries did you visit?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorbag View Post
            I believe that if you meet Mark Sisson walking in the streets in normal clothings he will appear lean or skinny as most people in Europe, so your observations from Euorope must be from places where people are using less clothes, like they usually are doing in places like Southern California or Miami?
            Well, we can go back forth about whether the people were wearing long sleeves or not and so on and on. I'm just saying that I noticed it.. I wasn't dreaming or making stuff up. I'm just seeing if other people have noticed the same thing.

I think that most people on this blog will agree that unless its the middle of winter, you can tell the difference between someone pumping serious iron and someone who is skinny from just riding their bicycle and walking. I don't think I'm suggesting something here which requires so much debate.
            Last edited by Vman; 03-14-2013, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reindeer View Post
              Gym owners will ban you if they catch you using it, but some people I've chatted with in the states, well they reckon that up to 70-80% of the regulars of their gyms openly use 'roids.
              No where near 70%...maybe 5% tops.
              "Go For Broke"
              Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
              Small Kine-168/9%
              Now- 200/8%
              Goal- 210/6%

Comment

Well, we can go back forth about whether the people were wearing long sleeves or not and so on and on. I'm just saying that I noticed it.. I wasn't dreaming or making stuff up. I'm just seeing if other people have noticed the same thing.

I think that most people on this blog will agree that unless its the middle of winter, you can tell the difference between someone pumping serious iron and someone who is skinny from just riding their bicycle and walking. I don't think I'm suggesting something here which requires so much debate.
                This thread is supremely stupid on so many levels.
                Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
                Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
                The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
                Brute Force Sandbags
                www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
                http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

I have never been to Europe, but a lot of Europeans come to where I live and go hiking with me. I can't recall any that were ripped or had that meat-head appearance. That doesn't mean there aren't any in Europe or that I can generalize about Europeans, but it would not surprise me that fewer people over there are clamoring to look like Arnold. I would say in the US we do a lot more extreme sports than they do in many other parts of the world, except for New Zealand. I think lifting really heavy weights is considered somewhat of an extreme sport by most people.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Arnold? Hmmm, I wonder where he came from...
                    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Comment

I get what you're saying - but the one and only time I've been to the states I was actually quite shocked by the number of extremely overweight people I saw. I wasn't seeing too many healthy, muscular people on the streets.

I live in Scotland which has a terrible record for unhealthy people, but I see plenty people who look like they look after themselves. And there are always plenty of guys (mostly guys, but women too) in the gym.

Maybe it's the cooler weather - means we tend to cover up more. It's pretty hard to tell if there's muscle or blubber under a down jacket :-)

Comment

Some people have really sandy vaginas here. He's just making an observation, stop freaking out.

Canadian here, lived in France for a while, and I've noticed the same thing as the thread starter. The average French girls looked hotter because none of them were fat, yet touching them was weird because they had no muscle mass. Guys were the same. None were buff. From what I've seen, it was a combination of smoking, not eating much, and a weird relationship with fitness.

Comment

Originally posted by drjoyous View Post
                          You may be equating visibly muscular with health...and that's not always true. I've hiked in Europe and I'll tell ya, many of those "scrawny" 80-90 year olds can easily beat me on the trail. You would have to look at overall health, not just what we "see."
                          Agree. Many people in Europe and Asia are in good health and have a normal BMI (meaning they appear thin by American standards). They don't do crazy stuff like deadliest 500lb or wacky extreme workout programs, but that doesn't mean they aren't strong and in good health.

Comment

Originally posted by Winterbike View Post
                            Some people have really sandy vaginas here. He's just making an observation, stop freaking out.

Canadian here, lived in France for a while, and I've noticed the same thing as the thread starter. The average French girls looked hotter because none of them were fat, yet touching them was weird because they had no muscle mass. Guys were the same. None were buff. From what I've seen, it was a combination of smoking, not eating much, and a weird relationship with fitness.
                            Odd. I spent some time on the French countryside, and while I get what you're talking about I certainly don't think it was the norm there - people had decent muscle. Not because they went to the gym (there probably wasn't even one in that village) but because they actually worked out as part of their jobs. Very few had jobs that were totally stationary, and people walked to places as a general rule.

I wonder if this is something that could apply to cities, though? Or if it's just some sort of beauty ideal down in them souths.

Comment

People are strong enough and healthy and don't necessarily look ripped.

One fun thing I really liked from my visit to Barcelona was that some guys were monkeying around on the kid's playground monkey bars and doing gymnastic-related stuff.

In general, I think Europeans, even those in the older crowd, are able to walk several miles a day without getting winded or feel the need to eat to earn back energy. They can bend over with reasonable loads. I think that's a good indicator of overall health and being in decent shape.
                              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I understand what the OP means.

I'm from Europe, but I lived in California for a few months. When I first arrived I had culture shock at how much more buff the men were.

I have a lot of male friends and I don't think a single one of them goes to the gym - they play sports and cycle from A to B. I think in the States you guys drive to the gym
                                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Working...
                                X