Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squatting causing larger thighs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Doing massive weight means a woman can get massive thighs, whether or not guys think it's a problem to them if she can't buy clothes that fit. When I was a speedskater I couldn't cross my legs. Bleh.

    Comment


    • #17
      It doesn't matter which words she is using, she is asking for an advice. And in the past few years there has been incorrect message sent to women, that heavy lifting is a key to the body you want that will magically transform you into an athletic beauty with only 3 workouts a week if only you lift heavy enough. This is not correct. For myself, I found that the errata is:

      1. the muscle size will increase doing heavy compound exercise,
      2. the quad tends to respond eagerly in most women to training growing visibly larger, but upper body is nowhere near
      3. the weight lifting on its own does not address fat storage, unlike it does in men;
      4. weight lifting does not cause any significant fat 'after-burn' as it does in men
      5. only very talented women can reach maxes described as 'no brainier' in training manuals for males
      6. many cannot support the recommended frequency of training for males, they just do not recover;
      7. fat storage cannot be reduced to the level when the body looks firm and athletic on a casual training program,
      8. the balance between overtraining vs underlifting, and overeating vs starving is elusive at best
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Leida View Post
        It doesn't matter which words she is using, she is asking for an advice. And in the past few years there has been incorrect message sent to women, that heavy lifting is a key to the body you want that will magically transform you into an athletic beauty with only 3 workouts a week. This is not correct. For myself, I found that the errata is:

        1. the muscle size will increase doing heavy compound exercise,
        2. the quad tends to respond eagerly in most women to training growing visibly larger, but upper body is nowhere near
        3. the weight lifting on its own does not address fat storage, unlike it does in men;
        4. weight lifting does not cause any significant fat 'after-burn' as it does in men
        5. only very talented women can reach maxes described as 'no brainier' in training manuals for males
        6. many cannot support the recommended frequency of training for males, they just do not recover;
        7. fat storage cannot be reduced to the level when the body looks firm and athletic on a casual training program,
        8. the balance between overtraining vs underlifting, and overeating vs starving is elusive at best
        9. Older women may need lots more recovery time than younger women, even though they may be doing less volume already.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
          Doing massive weight means a woman can get massive thighs, whether or not guys think it's a problem to them if she can't buy clothes that fit. When I was a speedskater I couldn't cross my legs. Bleh.
          could that have had anything to do with the 50lbs of fat you were carrying? just curious...

          you can't add any significant amount of muscle mass unless you are eating in a caloric surplus. that is a fact. so if the op is squatting heavy, her muscles will develop some, but getting gigantic thighs is simply not an option unless she is stuffing her face. women don't produce the testosterone to simply grow muscle they way they think they will. for every woman that says "i don't want to get bulky" there are 1000 men out there wishing it was only that easy.

          i think that many women see pictures of waif thin, anorexic models and strive to look that way. they think that is the ideal feminine figure, and when they see a strong and confident athletic woman, they feel as though that woman is "bulky" or strange looking.

          Comment


          • #20
            Us dudes often make the mistake of telling women how they should think or feel based on what we like.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
              could that have had anything to do with the 50lbs of fat you were carrying? just curious...

              you can't add any significant amount of muscle mass unless you are eating in a caloric surplus. that is a fact. so if the op is squatting heavy, her muscles will develop some, but getting gigantic thighs is simply not an option unless she is stuffing her face. women don't produce the testosterone to simply grow muscle they way they think they will. for every woman that says "i don't want to get bulky" there are 1000 men out there wishing it was only that easy.

              i think that many women see pictures of waif thin, anorexic models and strive to look that way. they think that is the ideal feminine figure, and when they see a strong and confident athletic woman, they feel as though that woman is "bulky" or strange looking.
              Obviously you know more about my body than I ever have. You might want to meet some women speedskaters sometime. You might observe that some have disproportionately large thighs.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                could that have had anything to do with the 50lbs of fat you were carrying? just curious...
                How do you know that??
                Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

                Started Primal 15th October 2012
                Height 5'9"
                Start weight 200lb
                Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                Goal was 168lb's

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                  If I read another thread from women afraid of "bulking up" from lifting I'm going nuts!
                  Another stupid idiotic male response to an honest female's question.

                  My experience is that yes, the squats do make your legs bigger.

                  When I started the Primal Blueprint a pair of cargo pants that I have were getting tight. Out of the drier, I had to do deep knee bends to make them comfortable. As I lost weight on the diet, the pants became loose right out of the drier. I had to wear a belt. The legs became embarrassingly loose and they started to look pretty sloppy. I considered donating them to the thrift store.

                  Then I began to lift weights. Linear progression, heavy squats to below parallel. Heavy deadlifts. Sets of 5. Those same pants are now snug out of the drier but only in the thighs. In the waist, I need a belt.

                  Not only those pants, but some of my hiking pants with the zip-off legs are pretty unbearable where the zipper is.

                  Some of us women DO gain muscle size. I actually like it that my muscles are getting larger. One nice thing about my waist size not changing is that I have a lot more muscle now on my back so a lot of my waist size is from my bigger back, which means overall I have a slightly better hourglass shape. Not dramatic, but I can see it.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                    Us dudes often make the mistake of telling women how they should think or feel based on what we like.
                    i wasn't teling anyone how they should think or feel. i was just stating some facts mixed with some of my opinion. the op, and other people here can take it or leave it. not gonna hurt my feelings either way

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      Another stupid idiotic male response to an honest female's question.

                      My experience is that yes, the squats do make your legs bigger.

                      When I started the Primal Blueprint a pair of cargo pants that I have were getting tight. Out of the drier, I had to do deep knee bends to make them comfortable. As I lost weight on the diet, the pants became loose right out of the drier. I had to wear a belt. The legs became embarrassingly loose and they started to look pretty sloppy. I considered donating them to the thrift store.

                      Then I began to lift weights. Linear progression, heavy squats to below parallel. Heavy deadlifts. Sets of 5. Those same pants are now snug out of the drier but only in the thighs. In the waist, I need a belt.

                      Not only those pants, but some of my hiking pants with the zip-off legs are pretty unbearable where the zipper is.

                      Some of us women DO gain muscle size. I actually like it that my muscles are getting larger. One nice thing about my waist size not changing is that I have a lot more muscle now on my back so a lot of my waist size is from my bigger back, which means overall I have a slightly better hourglass shape. Not dramatic, but I can see it.
                      if you are lifting and eating properly, you will gain some muscle size. that is the natural response to the weight training. that is ok. but the whole idea of a woman "bulking up" is absurd.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                        Obviously you know more about my body than I ever have. You might want to meet some women speedskaters sometime. You might observe that some have disproportionately large thighs.
                        you stated above that you were carrying 50 extra pounds of fat. is there a chance that some of that could be on your thighs?

                        i don't know any woman speedskaters, but i know female hockey players and yes, they all have muscular legs. and i'm sure if they, or anyone else was carrying 50 extra pounds of fat, that some of that would be distributed over the leg-area. would you agree?

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Richard Seekins View Post
                          How do you know that??
                          because she said it earlier

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                            Way back when I was speedskating I regularly did 720 pounds on the hip sled, lots of reps. My thighs were massive and bulky. But at least part of that was the fact that I was probably carrying 50# of excess fat. Now I easily gain muscle tone in the thighs, almost just by thinking about going for a walk. Muscle memory is an amazing thing.
                            this

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                              this
                              Fair comment, explain yourself Ekatherine
                              Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

                              Started Primal 15th October 2012
                              Height 5'9"
                              Start weight 200lb
                              Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                              Goal was 168lb's

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Does the ectomorph, mesomorph, metamorph thing also play a part with the ladies on this type of thing too? ( please excuse the spelling)
                                Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

                                Started Primal 15th October 2012
                                Height 5'9"
                                Start weight 200lb
                                Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                                Goal was 168lb's

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X