Vibrams & Triathlon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibrams & Triathlon

Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice on wearing Vibrams while racing in triathlon. I am aiming to compete in a sprint distance Tri this year. Have no experience! Don't even have a proper bike yet. Will be buying a road bike soon and thinking about pedals. Started thinking that if I get hooked on running in Vibrams during training it may be awkward to go to cushioned shoes for the race. Then again not sure how practical the Vibrams would be in terms of transitioning etc. or if practical to use while on the bike.

I don't see a problem with it. Train and race in the Vibrams. I bet they will work great for all three legs. I've swam, biked and ran in mine (just not all in a row). Just be the outcast and skip the clip in pedals. Just be careful your feet don't slip and rip up your shin. I'd wet the Vibrams and test their grip, first.

Comment

zoe do you have issues with the teeth on the pedal(the things that grip the sole) puncturing the sole or hurting your feet any?

Comment

Nope. The Vibrams are plenty thick (and they are puncture resistant). It might depend on the petal, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Scrogs View Post
          Just wondering if anyone has experience or advice on wearing Vibrams while racing in triathlon. I am aiming to compete in a sprint distance Tri this year. Have no experience! Don't even have a proper bike yet. Will be buying a road bike soon and thinking about pedals. Started thinking that if I get hooked on running in Vibrams during training it may be awkward to go to cushioned shoes for the race. Then again not sure how practical the Vibrams would be in terms of transitioning etc. or if practical to use while on the bike.
          I like Vibrams but wouldn't wear them in a triathlon as they have no cleats. They're also too wide for a pedal and kind of work on the exact opposite premise - you should run with your heels up and you should pedal with your heels down. You'd lose the whole transfer of power concept while pedaling in vibrams - which is fine for a casual ride but isn't conducive to timed rides. You'll lose more time cycling in Vibrams than you will transitioning into them in the corral. Ride with a clipless shoe, run with a Vibram.

Comment

Unless shoes become totally awkward for you, I am not sure of the point? It's one thing to train your legs using Vibrams and do the Primal thing, but unless they're going to make you faster during the race (who am I to judge), one day in flats (w/a little less impact, even though the distance is short) isn't going to be a negative. If you are in it for the fun of it, that's a whole different story. I'm sure it would be worth doing just for the many great conversations you'd have at the race! Good luck!

Comment

I am planning on doing my first sprint triatholon this summer, and hope to do it with my vibrams. I havent decided yet if I will wear them for all three legs. But I have gotten pretty good at getting them on, so i cant forsee losing much time in transition anyways/

Comment

I rode my fixed gear bike in a pair of VFFs and they were pretty lousy, but if you are serious about doing the event in them I can recommend this product, Powergrips, not as good as cleated shoes but better than old school cages ime.
                Give them nothing! But, take from them everything!

Comment

Thanks All. I appreciate all the input. I think I'll probably get the clip in pedals, but aim to use the Vibrams for the run portion. I am able to get them on pretty quick.

Comment

I'll have to agree, I've only worn my VFF's once while biking and I hated it. Love them for running and playing but didn't feel "safe" on the bike.
                    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Comment

Originally posted by ZoŽ View Post
                      Nope. The Vibrams are plenty thick (and they are puncture resistant). It might depend on the petal, though...
                      which vibrams do you have? i bought a pair last year which i went on a week long camping/kayaking trip in the pacific north west along the klamath river. i was picking thorns out of them that penetrated into my feet. made me much more careful about where i walk in them. but they were great for kayaking and hiking. the only problem i had was having to wait for them to dry out or else they would be really muddy and the ickness would penetrate thru and my feet would be literally squishing in mud. so i just washed em up and hung em in the sun for a few minutes after getting out of the river.
                      "The first wealth is health."
                      - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

NorCal,
                        I have sprints. I'm getting the Bikila in a few weeks, too. I've gone hiking where there are lots of needles and cacti and never had a problem.
                        I'm surprised that you had to pick thorns out of them... hmmm. Vibram rubber is advertised as puncture resistant. You have the real ones, right? Not the knockoffs that are being sold around the internet?
                        Maybe your forests have different thorns than mine. I've never been to northern CA.

Comment

yes i got the real ones from sports LTD here in town. paid 80 bucks for em.They are the Vibram Classics.
                          we have alot of goathead thorns here, bit long thorns that sit in under the dirt so you dont really see em. i gotta pick em out of my dog's paws sometimes when i take them for walks around the creek trails.
                          like these suckers:

im noticing the bottoms have wavy marks and inbetween two of the waves is a lil damaged from some thorns. maybe thats where they got me. interesting tho that they are supposed to be puncture resistant. ill have to look into that online, maybe write something saying mine get thorns in em.
                          - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I recently bought a pair of Classics and today I tested them for the first time - and I liked it. But for longer hikes through rough terrain I'll definitely look into the Flow TREKs ... they should be ideal for that purpose. Maybe they would also solve your problems?
                            MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia View Post
                              I recently bought a pair of Classics and today I tested them for the first time - and I liked it. But for longer hikes through rough terrain I'll definitely look into the Flow TREKs ... they should be ideal for that purpose. Maybe they would also solve your problems?
                              thanks ill check out the treks. they might have a thicker sole. i enjoy alot of wilderness hiking, this area is so beautiful for it and i live out on some property out of town close to a large federal park (whiskeytown lake if anyone is interested for some reason). thanks again for the headsup!
                              - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                              X