Dumbbell workout?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbbell workout?

I'm moving to a new apartment with a small gym (dumbbells, elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike, rowing machine, one of those all-in-one strength machines).

A lot of the strength programs I've found online involve things like squats, deadlifts, bench presses, etc.

Does anyone have any links to full-body routines?

Provided that there's also a bench, you can do many great exercises with dumbbells. Squats can also be done with dumbbells:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24PeqytTtq4

Add bench presses, overhead presses, rowing and lat pulls with various handle positions, and you have a pretty inclusive workout.
    Last edited by MikeEnRegalia; 04-15-2010, 04:46 AM.
    MikeEnRegalia's Blog - Nutrition, Dieting, Exercise and other stuff ;-)

Comment

Although not as good for squat, bench, deads, you can do a great workout with dumbells

One arm Clean and press
      Bench press
      One arm row
      Single leg squats (or split squats)
      Lunges

I'm sure you could fill the gaps with the machine in there and bodyweight movements... pullups, leg press, etc.
      Last edited by arthurb999; 04-15-2010, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Try Men's Health Magazine--on line. Many routines listed there. I especially like the "four exercise-one dumbbell" routine. Not a heavy workout, but like a sip of water to a thirsty man.
        Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

A good source is the book "Mens-Health-Ultimate-Dumbbell-Guide" by Myatt & Murphy. It has over several hundred exercises that you can do.

To be honest...dumbbells are more versatile that barbells. Don't get me wrong...both are wonderful tools to use in your quest...but if I were stuck on a desert island, and had to pick one over the other to have with me, I'd pick the dumbbells. You can improve grip strenght better, rotate the weight through a greater range of motion, reduce "cheating" by one arm helping the other, etc.

Good luck!
          Last edited by Phil-SC; 04-21-2010, 12:26 AM.

Comment

These are the exercises I was doing when training exclusively with dumbbells (5x5 style):

A. Dumbbell Front Squats, Alternating Single Hand Dumbbell Rows, Dumbbell Bench Press, Reverse Crunch.

B. Alternating Single Hand Clean & Press, Bulgarian Single Leg Deadlifts, Incline Dumbbell Press (no greater than 30* incline), Janda Situps

It worked well for me until I got the itch to squat and deadlift with barbells and signed up for a gym.

Comment

Working...
            X