Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettlebell workouts

What are your favourite KB exercises?

I just bought an 8 kg one for now, and have been doing sets of swings through the day as I remember.

I remember KB cleans from CF, but can't remember any others.
    So yeah, what are your favs?

I like the different swing variations. Just took a workshop today for the cleans and snatches. I need a lot of work on both.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

different swings?
      Might have to do a google search.
      I only know of one swing.
      CrossFit - Basic Kettlebell Swing, Part I, Jefff Martone - YouTube

Comment

Well you can do basic two handed, or hand to hand or just one handed....
        Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
        Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Comment

ooh i see OK thanks

Comment

My xfit offers a kb class every weekend, the variety of exercises you can do is pretty broad.
            2 handed swings
            1 handed swings
            American style swing (bring the kb fully overhead at peak of swing)
            Goblet squats (hold the kb close to your chest and squat)
            Heartbeat squats (goblet squat, at bottom of squat push kb out in front of you, lock out your elbows, then return)
            Lunges holding the kb in the rack position
            push-ups with one hand on the kb
            Good mornings (feet wide, straight legged, hinge forward at the waist keeping back straight) with the kb on your upper back
            Overhead presses
            Turkish get-ups (too complicated to explain here, they are miserable but very effective)
            Rows

Comment

I stick with the basics: swings (double and single handed, eccentric), goblet and front squats, military press and Turkish get-up. Well worth investing a few hours with a qualified RKC/Strongfirst instructor as good technique is extremely important when using kettlebells.
              I love them as they are so versatile and great for fat loss / conditioning / strength and no need to join a gym (once you invested in some bells).

Comment

Goblet squats and heavy one-arm farmer's walks are my two favorite.
                My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Comment

Nothing beats snatches!! But getting the technique down takes time. I recommend swings and TGUs, then transition with high pulls (a one-arm swing that pulls "in"/back a little at the top - about eye level). After that, continuing into the turnover without banging your arm is not that hard.

Kettlebell Turkish Get Up - YouTube for TGUs

Comment

I hate turkish get ups LOL
                    Ive been doing snatches and cleans as well as swings. It poops me so fast, but my fitness is very low at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayla2010 View Post
                      I hate turkish get ups LOL
                      Ive been doing snatches and cleans as well as swings. It poops me so fast, but my fitness is very low at the moment.
                      Lots of good suggestions above. I also do partial TGU as a warm up before lifting, that is, only the first four positions.

Comment

I like to do standard swings and various carries like farmer and rack. Another weird one is what I call 'pick up the baby'. I don't think there are any videos of this lift, at least the last time I looked so I'll try to describe it. I heard about it from a connection with Pavel when someone asked him how a person could work the pectorals with a kb. I think he calls it the Kettlebell Crush Lift, but Picking up the Baby is funnier.

place kb about 1/2 an arm's length in front of you. Squat and get your hands under the bell, gripping it like a basketball. Keep your hands directly below the handle, thumb and all. Now pick up the kb and raise it to head height. Pick it up like you would a little kid and look up slightly at the bell. It should be in front of your face, not directly over your head. Never compete for space with a kettlebell. Then lower it back to the ground. Keep your back and neck in neutral positions. Don't bend and lift. Just squeeze the bell to grip it, stand up and lift it in front of your face or a little above. Your arms should be extended and the bell away from your body. Elbows bent, but don't hug the bell. Repeat.

Now that will get your heart moving. I use a 35lb/16kg bell for these. Usually 5 sets of 5.
                        Last edited by June68; 03-10-2013, 07:28 AM.
                        5' 9" 47 YO F
                        PB start June 2, 2012
                        Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                        Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

I tend to avoid swings since they seem to aggravate a back problem I have. I love single arm shoulder presses, bent over rows, goblet squats, weighted walking lunges, single leg deadlifts and lunges while holding the kb up with the opposite arm of the leg doing the lunging (fwd and back).

Comment

Working...
                          X