Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a Concept 2 rower? Any comments or reviews, please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my rower. So simple to set up, only a couple of screws. Taken apart, it fit into the back of my car for the ride home from the States, and I could carry the parts into the house and down the basement by myself. Fits together almost effortlessly. So well engineered.

Can't wait to get started with it. Any suggestions for online training programs, particularly sprints? Or are there sprint workouts programmed into the PM3 monitor?

Comment

number one tip for using the C2

contract your abs to stabilise core as you begin the stroke and keep them contracted until you finish, then relax on the glide in

highly recommend coasting at a comfortable 22 to 24 strokes per minute and a comfortable slit per 500 but to throw in a max effort interval every couple of minutes (take longer to recover if you need)

intervals could be from 15 to 45 seconds, 20 is most common, go back to regular stroking when finished with the interval then go again when recover 2500 to 5000m would be enough, aim to bring the total time down

I use resistance setting 4 or 5 which is regarded as being most similar to rowing on water

make sure you strap feet in well

combines very well with rebounding

Comment

Originally posted by Katsuhiko the Rolfer View Post
        number one tip for using the C2

contract your abs to stabilise core as you begin the stroke and keep them contracted until you finish, then relax on the glide in

highly recommend coasting at a comfortable 22 to 24 strokes per minute and a comfortable slit per 500 but to throw in a max effort interval every couple of minutes (take longer to recover if you need)

intervals could be from 15 to 45 seconds, 20 is most common, go back to regular stroking when finished with the interval then go again when recover 2500 to 5000m would be enough, aim to bring the total time down

I use resistance setting 4 or 5 which is regarded as being most similar to rowing on water

make sure you strap feet in well

combines very well with rebounding
        Thanks for all the tips, Katsuhiko. What do you mean by "comfortable slit per 500 but to throw in a max effort every couple of minutes"? Lost me on that one...

Is an interval just a much faster stroke rate? How much faster? Do you change any other variables? I currently have the resistance set at 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Richardmac View Post
          Vick are you still doing john littles max pyramid training? What have been your results with it?

Richard
          With modifications. I use just a single weight. I hold it as a static hold at the max moment until failure. It produces excellent recruitment of muscles, right to the core. It really saves the beating on the joints because you have to greatly reduce the weight.

I feel great.

If I can't make it to the gym for the row, then I use the stationary bike at home. I still follow the 6 reps of 30 seconds sprint and 30 seconds rest.

I try and follow the format of once a week weights and 3 times a week sprinting.

Comment

Originally posted by marthat View Post
            Thanks for all the tips, Katsuhiko. What do you mean by "comfortable slit per 500 but to throw in a max effort every couple of minutes"? Lost me on that one...

Is an interval just a much faster stroke rate? How much faster? Do you change any other variables? I currently have the resistance set at 5.
            firstly let me apologise for the confusing typos

so, what I mean is imagine you are rowing down a lake at a nice comfortable rate.... stroke....1,2,3...stroke maintaining a steady SPLIT time per 500m which you can repeat several times without weakening...

maintain that comfortable rate (22 to 24 strokes per minute) but then switch to maximum effort strokes for your interval session

explode into the first stroke by contracting abs, legs and arm muscles as you pull back hard on the oar, pull the oar right into your belly... you should see your split time drop sharply, now glide in quickly but under control, and do another max effort stroke

keep this going until you hit your limit (roughly 20 but up to max 45 seconds) then return to the previous comfortable stroke rate while you recover... have about 2 to 4 mins recovery (keep rowing steadily) and then do another interval

repeat 3 to 5 times or more if you are fit enough

any questions feel free to ask or PM

Comment

I sometimes like to do tabata sprints; 20 seconds of all out, 10 seconds of just keeping the flywheel going. That works best with a lower damper setting. The concept2.com site has great technique tips as well as a workout of the day. If you haven't checked it out, take a look!

Comment

Originally posted by Vick View Post
                With modifications. I use just a single weight. I hold it as a static hold at the max moment until failure. It produces excellent recruitment of muscles, right to the core. It really saves the beating on the joints because you have to greatly reduce the weight.

I feel great.

If I can't make it to the gym for the row, then I use the stationary bike at home. I still follow the 6 reps of 30 seconds sprint and 30 seconds rest.

I try and follow the format of once a week weights and 3 times a week sprinting.
                Hey Vick .... Interesting.

I followed a series of movements today all held for time.
                Pullups - 23 seconds
                Diamond pressups - 23 seconds
                Chins - 20 seconds
                Pressups - 30 seconds

Pullups - 18 seconds
                Diamonds - 20 seconds
                Chins 18 seconds
                Pressups - 35 seconds

2 rounds:
                Lunges - 3 minutes continuous
                Plank - 45 seconds
                Leg lever - 30 seconds

None of the static holds were done to absolute failure. It was originally a pt workout with reps for each movement. What I did was convert reps into seconds and added another 10 seconds. So 13 pullups became pullups for 23 seconds.

Great workout.

Rower wise....Check out the conept 2 site for a daily workout. OR I would highly recommend checking out 'Renegade rowing.com' and their blog for daily workouts. It is literally awesome.

Richard
                It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

Originally posted by Richardmac View Post
                  Hey Vick .... Interesting.

I followed a series of movements today all held for time.
                  Pullups - 23 seconds
                  Diamond pressups - 23 seconds
                  Chins - 20 seconds
                  Pressups - 30 seconds

Pullups - 18 seconds
                  Diamonds - 20 seconds
                  Chins 18 seconds
                  Pressups - 35 seconds

2 rounds:
                  Lunges - 3 minutes continuous
                  Plank - 45 seconds
                  Leg lever - 30 seconds

None of the static holds were done to absolute failure. It was originally a pt workout with reps for each movement. What I did was convert reps into seconds and added another 10 seconds. So 13 pullups became pullups for 23 seconds.

Great workout.

Rower wise....Check out the conept 2 site for a daily workout. OR I would highly recommend checking out 'Renegade rowing.com' and their blog for daily workouts. It is literally awesome.

Richard
                  would have been great if you typed 'oarsome'

Comment

I have a C2 rower I got a few years ago. I chose it because of its excellent reputation for quality, simplicity and versatility for all fitness levels. It is a very good buy for the money and can last almost literally a lifetime and beyond. The C2 company has a very good rep for customer support.

I also got the C2 because at the time, my health was so poor I could barely walk, and I wanted a beginning workout I could do sitting down. At first I could not even use it with my feet in the stirrups, so I used it with them on the floor. Even so I quickly improved my condition to the point I could start taking daily walks.

I use my rower in front of the TV, and to answer another poster's question, it is pretty quiet as far as noise output. Mostly a subdued whooshing sound.

Recommended.

Comment

Has anyone tried the new versa pulley rower from Versa climber - it actually pulls back at you. So you get resistance both ways.
                      Also has anyone tried the stand up ergometer from concept 2 called a skierg.??
                      One more while I am at it - any experience with the water rower?

Comment

I love/hate the C2 rower. I love it because it is the best, best, BEST cardio/conditioning piece of equipment there is. I hate it because it's HARD and nothing gets me breathing hard, shaking, and wrecked faster than 400m sprints on the rower.

Form is a big deal with rowing, and with the wrong form your movement is so inefficient that you're getting like a third of the benefit. So make sure your form is really locked in. Watch youtube videos if you don't have a coach. I did a lot of longer rows on the lowest setting to get my form memorized. The cue from a coach that had the biggest effect on me was: after I've pulled back, let the handle pass over my knees first BEFORE they bend on the way back in. Also, one breath pull, two breaths retract. The pull starts with the legs, ends with the elbows pointing straight behind you, and is explosive, and then you recover on the way back in. I chant in my head as I row, "PULL easy slide PULL easy slide..." and it helps me keep that explode-recover timing.

Comment

Working...
                        X