No announcement yet.

Ideal weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think being fit, strong and healthy is most important - and looking good is normally a natural consequence of this. But sometimes it could also be a hormonal balance thing. Being a guy I worry about aromatising testosterone to estrogen and try to lift heavy once in a way to boost testosterone response. I do not know what the protocols for women seeking to re-balance the estrogen levels are, but perhaps that is one area to begin researching as well? Check thyroid as well.

Also, instead of just plain caloric restriction maybe consider intermittent fasting?

On the other hand, society today does have warped idea of what bodies should look like so perhaps don't be too bothered by what others think. But I do agree with one of the posts - be more concerned with body composition (percentage body fat) than just weight.

All the best!

Comment

My understanding is that a lot of our hormonal problem is due to taking artificial hormones. I do not know about the OP, but I am hoping to be off the artificial hormones in a few months, and then we'll see. I do not expect dramatic changes, but maybe weight won't be so crazy.
      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I don't think I am letting the scale dictate what I do with my body, it happens to be an easily reference-able way to quantify my size. The number 175 isn't the big deal, really what bothers me is the size of my thighs when I am in the saddle.

I would like to do a body comp test. I don't think it's hormonal or thyroid.

I agree, any additional weight is vanity weight. I'm also not stressing about it and will continue my current eating/exercise habits. I seriously have never been so healthy or happy as I am now. I just started with the lower-level cardio, sprinting, cleaning up my diet even more (abandoning my love, peanut butter), and IF. So if those things make a difference, great, and if not, that's great too.

Comment

I don't think I am letting the scale dictate what I do with my body, it happens to be an easily reference-able way to quantify my size. The number 175 isn't the big deal, really what bothers me is the size of my thighs when I am in the saddle.

I would like to do a body comp test. I don't think it's hormonal or thyroid.

I agree, any additional weight is vanity weight. I'm also not stressing about it and will continue my current eating/exercise habits. I seriously have never been so healthy or happy as I am now. I just started with the lower-level cardio, sprinting, cleaning up my diet even more (abandoning my love, peanut butter), and IF. So if those things make a difference, great, and if not, that's great too.

Comment

I know it's a point of reference, the number on the scale, but it isn't an accurate one.

I have to admit that I'm a different shape to you (more apple than pear) but I've seen a noticeable difference in the size of my legs since I started doing heavy squats and lunges.

I think you said you already powerlift - have a look at what you're doing...if you're neglecting lower body a little then it should be easy to correct, or if you're not then perhaps you could just take a short period to focus on lower body and see if it helps?

Comment

As a pear shaped sufferer who lifted for years, I would caution someone who wants a decrease in the upper leg size against heavy squats. In me, it leads to quad blowing up, and fat still remaining in the outside pouches, so the leg looks bigger. I concentrate on deadlifts, KBs and lunges to prevent squat from over-growing, and to stimulate hamstring instead. Well, not now, now I am doing X-Fit WODs, and I am not sure what I am going to do next. I find that swimming and skating are often recommended as a thigh reduction mechanism. I uhm failed to see the effect, though I swim and skate regularly. Only extreme fat loss on a very complex split macros and calories schedule with workouts that take a lot of time (90 min a day with an extra 30-60 min of slow cardio in addition to slow motion) led to me losing fat but not upper body muscle. I could not hold the result.

I also have been trying to not eat pork, so not eat red meat > 1x a day, and increase fish, eggs and dairy as my dietary source of protein.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

According to an online calculator, my ideal body weight is about 123 pounds. Based on how I looked when I was skinny fat and sedentary, if I was sedentary I think that might have been about right.

Originally posted by Leida View Post
                As a pear shaped sufferer who lifted for years, I would caution someone who wants a decrease in the upper leg size against heavy squats. In me, it leads to quad blowing up, and fat still remaining in the outside pouches, so the leg looks bigger. I concentrate on deadlifts, KBs and lunges to prevent squat from over-growing, and to stimulate hamstring instead. Well, not now, now I am doing X-Fit WODs, and I am not sure what I am going to do next. I find that swimming and skating are often recommended as a thigh reduction mechanism. I uhm failed to see the effect, though I swim and skate regularly. Only extreme fat loss on a very complex split macros and calories schedule with workouts that take a lot of time (90 min a day with an extra 30-60 min of slow cardio in addition to slow motion) led to me losing fat but not upper body muscle. I could not hold the result.
                Twenty-five years away from speedskating and the hip sled machine, on which I used to do massive weights, has returned my thighs to normal in size.

Comment

Working...
                X