Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost all my strength and it has cost me $400,000!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost all my strength and it has cost me $400,000!

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post. I know the title seems a tad melodramatic, it is however completely accurate due to the loss in pension, I didn't even look at the lost wages.

I have recently breezed 2 days of gruelling selection to become an Officer in the Royal Air Force, the final hurdle was to run 1.5 miles in 11:36 - Easy, complete 19 pushups in a minute - Easy... Except it wasn't, I got to my third pushup and I realised I was in big trouble. I ended up completing 18 and failing the whole selection process as a result.

As I am currently serving in the RAF I have a six monthly fitness test whereby I have to complete a Bleep Test at level 9.10 (easy), 19 pushups in a minute (easy), 32 situps in a minute (easy). The last time I completed this test was in Nov 12 and I managed my pushups in around 35 seconds. I ate completely paleo for the last month or so prior to then.

Is there any particular reason that Paleo eating will cause such weakness? I really need to get to the bottom of this as I am absolutely shell shocked by what happened as I haven't failed a fitness test in my 11 year career. My current job requires me to be fit and the implications are pretty severe for me now as my boss will not be impressed when he eventually catches up with me.

Failing any reasons for the lack of strength, are there any ideas on how I can build my strength very quickly in both my pushups and situps as I just managed to get my 32 required?

Any help/advice would be greatly received as I have been in a daze and have been unable to think of anything else for the last 4 days.

Thanks

You haven't said anything about what specifically you are eating or how long you have been paleo. Have you been losing weight? More information would be necessary before anyone could make an intelligent guess at what's going on.

Comment

I have been Paleo for around a year, I eat normal Primal Blueprint foods (not sure what exactly you would like to know) and I haven't lost any weight in months as I am 84 - 85 kgs and 6`2" which seems to be my equilibrium.

Comment

Just my guess that if this is an unusual performance for you, it's not the diet, because you haven't changed anything. You could have been coming down with something.

Comment

How many grams of carbs a day? What's an average daily food intake look like?
          be the hair that knots with my hair
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

The one-month mark on a low carbohydrate diet is usually about when your body flushes all the excess water out of its system, along with a lot of sodium and potassium. So get some salt and potassium in you if you want to stay low carb or else try adding more carbohydrates, (like potatoes and bananas) to your diet.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Do some strength training so that when the test rolls round your actually getting stronger rather than just getting by.

If you wanna build up your push ups and sit ups.....then do push ups and situps daily.

Comment

Don't go low-carb. Train more. Sleep more. Don't cheat. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                  Just my guess that if this is an unusual performance for you, it's not the diet, because you haven't changed anything. You could have been coming down with something.
                  The fact that he hasn't changed his diet isn't an argument in this case - there can be an accumulative effect.
                  But, of course, it can be a coincidence, or yes, it can be what many people suspect - too low-carb diet.
                  We just don't know and he should check everything.

Comment

eat. and train.

paleo/primal isn't low carb. then again, there are some low-carbers on here that can bang out hundreds of pushups. you could probably eat mcdonalds every day and do 20 pushups and 32 situps in a minute. sounds to me like you weren't keeping up on the physical part of this thing and are trying to blame it on your way of eating. you said in 1 post that you ate completely paleo for a month. then in another post, you said you've been paleo for a year. which is it?

Comment

OK Now I'm even more confused..I'm sure I put a post in here..has it been deleted?
                      Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
                      Height 5'9"
                      Start weight 200lb
                      Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                      Goal was 168lb's

Comment

My bad...you posted the thread twice ?
                        Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
                        Height 5'9"
                        Start weight 200lb
                        Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
                        Goal was 168lb's

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post

Another possibility, especially if you wouldn't normally had a problem doing the push-ups is that you got a trapped nerve which is causing a muscle weakness/fatigue response.
                          Ive had this happen before & I wasent in any pain from it, the only reason I realized there was an issue was because I struggled to pick up things I normally could just toss around..
                          Chiropractor visit & all fixed.
                          Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Did you prepare with test runs of the fitness test required? I'm sure you had to know of the requirements?

The way you explained the testing makes me think you usually only need to pass the bleep, pushup, situps, test as a requirement of your current service.. Did you have to do the run and pushup test back to back? If so it sounds like you ran out of gas,

Comment

Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                              eat. and train.

paleo/primal isn't low carb. then again, there are some low-carbers on here that can bang out hundreds of pushups. you could probably eat mcdonalds every day and do 20 pushups and 32 situps in a minute. sounds to me like you weren't keeping up on the physical part of this thing and are trying to blame it on your way of eating. you said in 1 post that you ate completely paleo for a month. then in another post, you said you've been paleo for a year. which is it?
                              I have been Paleo for over a year but I normally have the odd beer, pizza or other non-paleo food once a week. The month previous I was 100% Paleo, 80/20 rule.

As for the physical side of things, I have to do the same test every 6 months and I normally manage around the 30 - 35 mark for push-ups and 40 ish for the sit-ups. The bleep test i can achieve no problem, my highest has been 13.4. This is why I am confused...

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X