Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running in Vibrams

Hey all,

So I'm doing a Tough Mudder in 8 weeks and am starting to train in earnest. At a TM in September my sneakers were so waterlogged and clumsy by mile 10 it was actually dangerous (the last 2 miles I felt a constant threat of losing my balance in the mud and turning an ankle). So, my goal for this Mudder is to run in Vibrams. I've walked/hiked long distances in them, but am new to running.

Anyone have any tips on how to work my way into running 10+ miles in the vibrams by April? Yesterday, I walked .8 miles to the gym (and .8 back) and ran a mile on the treadmill in them. I feel fine. How quickly can I go up each week (.5 miles for the next few, then 1 mile)? Is there a certain point (say, 5 miles) where the gradual approach no longer has a benefit? Also, is it safe to do HITT in vibrams - I alternate 90s at a 6.0 jog, 60s at a 9.5-10.0 sprint.

Any input appreciated!

- BAL

if you're on a treadmill, the HIIT will be fine, and i would aim for adding 1/2mile each week. if you can get outside, however, that will be much better. a treadmill isn't going to prepare you for a tough mudder; you need to go off road. his some trails and hills, hike a bunch, etc.
    i would recommend staying off the street for those distances in vibrams. maybe it's just my form, but i feel like i wear out my soles quicker on roads and sidewalks.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by primalrob View Post
      a treadmill isn't going to prepare you for a tough mudder; you need to go off road. his some trails and hills, hike a bunch, etc.
      Agreed.

However, if the OP is in a winter climate right now, running outside in Vibrams probably isn't a possibility at the moment.

If you must run on a treadmill, make sure the incline is set to at least 1%. If there is a program on the treadmill for "hills" or "intervals", do it.

I'm doing a Tough Mudder in June and was thinking about investing in Vibrams becuase when I did another shorter mud race a couple of years ago, my sneakers were incredibly water-logged and even though it was only a 5k distance, it was very uncomfortable! I can only imagine how it'd feel after 10-13 miles! But... I am hesitant to buy $100 Vibrams just to ruin them with the mud.
      >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
      >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
      >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

Thanks for the input. It is still pretty cold here (DC) and the rubber soles mean my feet FREEZE in Vibrams. Hopefully it will warm up soon though.

MissJecka, I got both my pairs of Vibrams for $50, check around for sales, often you'll find them for less popular colors. I figure, if I already look like a weirdo in five-finger shoes, who cares if they are purple? Also, from what I hear you can throw them in the wash and salvage them after the race.

Also, I always put a 1.0 incline when I run on a treadmill. But I'll try to start mixing it up.

Comment

MissJecka ... looks like REI has KSOs for ~$50. Vibram FiveFingers KSO Multisport Shoes - Women's - 2011 Overstock at REI-OUTLET.com

Comment

Originally posted by BoldAsLove View Post
            Nice, but those have barely any tread! I've read a lot online about folks using Vibrams during Tough Mudders and they slip-slide around because of the lack of tread. The KSO Trek looks better, as they have more texture and treading on the soles, but they're $80.

The ones I've heard are the best are the Spyridon because they're made for trail-running - better tread and thicker sole so you can't feel rocks and roots: Vibram FiveFingers - Trail Running Minimalist Shoes for Men SPYRIDON LS | Vibram FiveFingers

Comment

Originally posted by MissJecka View Post
              Nice, but those have barely any tread! I've read a lot online about folks using Vibrams during Tough Mudders and they slip-slide around because of the lack of tread. The KSO Trek looks better, as they have more texture and treading on the soles, but they're $80.

The ones I've heard are the best are the Spyridon because they're made for trail-running - better tread and thicker sole so you can't feel rocks and roots: Vibram FiveFingers - Trail Running Minimalist Shoes for Men SPYRIDON LS | Vibram FiveFingers
              Interesting, I hadn't thought that my KSOs might now have enough tred for the TM. I just purchased some new spyridons on Ebay for $60. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BoldAsLove View Post
                Interesting, I hadn't thought that my KSOs might now have enough tred for the TM. I just purchased some new spyridons on Ebay for $60. Thanks!
                Nice! I may check on Ebay for a good deal!

Comment

I did the warrior dash (no where near as long as the TM) in my 5 fingers. For the most part they were great especially in the water. Very slippery on the mud and wet grass which slowed me down quite a bit. I also nailed a rock just right with my heel and had one hell of a bruise for about 2 months that hurt like a MF.

For the time being I've retired them for gym use only...............they do come squeaky clean in the wash

On a separate mud run I used a pair of old tennies that were mostly mesh and they did just fine in the water and I was quite appreciative of the tread on the mud and slick grass

Comment

Working...
                  X