Shovelglove 101: An Illustrated Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeanM View Post
    It's a lot of fun. I really do find myself pretending I'm shoveling snow and chopping wood and stuff.
    Me, I'm bashing Orks on the head!!!!!
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Comment

• And then digging their graves! I like it.

Comment

• I am deeply ashamed at how long I let this go, but I finally wrote the first part of 201. With video this time!

Shovelglove 201 - Comprehensive Review

I hope you enjoy it and that it encourages you to pick up the hammer again, if indeed you ever laid it aside.

Comment

• Thanks Timothy! Excellent read, and witty as well
          Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

• Originally posted by TorMag View Post
            Me, I'm bashing Orphans on the head!!!!!
            Sweeeeet!

Nice to see this again!

Comment

• Getting one for my husband for his birthday. Wood or fiberglass handle?

Comment

• Originally posted by darthfriendly View Post
                sweeeeet!

Nice to see your ass again!
                lmao.....
                I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
                My Journal

Comment

• Hey everyone

fell of the wagon with primal living over the last year and a half, first it was a couple of cheats and suddenly I fell into CW style of eating, though primal was always at the back of my head.

Anyhow started doing this on Monday, along with primal living again. Quick question, would you suggest I only stick to shovel glove or do other things as well. Also as suggested by Rein do this every weekday? Seems a little tough as am aching already today after 2 days.

Hammer name - Big Bertha

Many Thanks

Comment

• I replied to ask a simple question!

I really like this shovelglove idea, and I might start doing this, but I guess the question I have is, is this less impactful on the joins than cutting wood?

Currently, I cut wood every day, chop a log clean through.

Would this be a better workout?

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Comment

• So, since this got bumped, I've proceeded to sit here and read through the whole thread, and a good chunk of your site. However, I didn't quite see a particular question answered in a way that totally clicked for me.

How well does Shovelglove mesh with Bodyweight exercises? If I'm doing the Primal Blueprint Fitness routine twice to three times a week, with sprints once to twice a week, how often can I go through the Shovelglove routine without it hindering recovery? When would be the best time to do the higher intensity options if I shouldn't do them on a daily basis?

Basically, I'm really interested in this, but I'm not sure how best to incorporate it. It sounds like something I'd love to do as much as possible, but I also feel that I also really need body weight exercises like push ups for my chest and arms, and pull ups and squats. How much of that would this replace? Or how can it best be used alongside the "basic primal movements"?

I just don't want to overtrain, and given that everywhere you read talks about rest days between workouts, while the shovelglove stuff tends to be a daily thing.. I'm just not sure how to put the two together.

Thanks in advance!
                      SW: 324.6 ----- CW: 310
                      Primal Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                        I am deeply ashamed at how long I let this go, but I finally wrote the first part of 201. With video this time!

Shovelglove 201 - Comprehensive Review

I hope you enjoy it and that it encourages you to pick up the hammer again, if indeed you ever laid it aside.
                        Thanks bro, I am going to make all my boys at the station read this.

Comment

• Hello, just stopping in to say thanks for the great information. You have no idea how helpful this is to me. I started shovelglove a while ago, and I rely on the internet to be my personal trainer, since my local gym is useless in that respect. Wish I could get everyone to try this!
                          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy View Post
                            I know what you mean about being frustrated. We think we're strong because we can do big bicep curls and stuff, but there are all these little stabilizing muscles that we almost never use in daily life or in narrowly-targeted weight lifting. When it comes to holding what seems like a small weight at the end of a stick, you can really feel the inadequacy of these tiny muscles. These are the muscles people tend to strain or tweak when they start shovelglove. Fortunately, on a primal diet, it doesn't take long to build them up and you'll soon be surprised at your much stronger and more stable grip.
                            I just got started, having bought my first sledge this weekend. The first day I took it slow and memorized the movements/exercises, tried to get technique right (for a beginner), and got a basic idea of what I could expect I would be able to do in reps before switching sides. I also searched my music library for tunes around 14:00 duration that had the necessary energy. Then, on my first workout day, I found out what you mean about stabilizing muscles. All of my bigger muscles (biceps, triceps, lats, delts, etc.) all felt as they usually would following a workout. But, my ribcage! My ribcage had an awesome soreness to it and I knew intuitively that it was minor muscles getting a great workout. I mean we're talking much more than just serratus anterior here - I'm gonna have to get out Grey's Anatomy if I try to figure this out better! Thanks for the inspiration! I found your guide following Mark's recent blog post about "Where's Tim".

Comment

• Bought a sledgehammer today
                              Great inspiration. Will follow your program
                              Last edited by Gilleh; 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM.
                              Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Comment

Working...
                              X