No announcement yet.

Shovelglove 101: An Illustrated Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...phew, it's done! Shovelglove 104 is now in session, and the Beginner's Guide to Shovelglove is complete. Have I gone a bit funny in the head by attempting to convert shovelglove into a martial art, or have I completely gone fishing? You be the judge, jury, and executioner. Pick up some new moves and earn your B.S. degree today!

http://www.urbanprimalist.com/id3.html

Comment

• Great work Timothy! Take a break. I'm passing your link to friends wanting to develop functional strength, and no inclination to waste time with CW in McGyms.

Comment

• Thank you so much for posting this. Had loads of fun yesterday with my kiddo and 101. Since all the hardware shops (along with everything else) were closed yesterday we improvised with weighted broomsticks. After going thru the 101 moves we quickly progressed to playing Pitchforks & Torches which involved sprinting (Run for your lives AHHHH!) to chase the ogre down the beach while madly waving said pitchfork and torch about. Once caught, ogre got seaweed in the hair then the other person got to be the ogre. Yes, we are easily amused We'll be getting proper hammers later week, I do not believe I've ever been this excited about buying hardware before!

Comment

• Thanks a ton, primalclubber! I'm definitely going to take a break now. It's been a challenge to do all the photos in one take with my baby about to blow in the background, and then typing up the article in between baby care, house cleaning and cooking for the fam. Oddly though, the less free time I have, the more motivation I seem to have for this sort of thing.

I'm very glad you're sharing the links with your friends. Shovelglove liberated me from the gym where my body was locked in bored stasis. I've been happy to learn that a few others enjoy it as much as I do, and it's not just that I have a few loose screws. Working out should always be this much fun!

Zibsca, I'm so glad you enjoyed it with your kid! Pitchforks & Torches is a brilliant idea and sounds like something I would have loved at that age. Heck, your kid will probably have more great shovelglove ideas in a day than I've had all year. Makes me look forward to when my son gets a bit older so he can teach me an advanced course in play. Enjoy picking out your new hammers!

Comment

• I forgot I had an 8 lb maul axe in the garage. I just did about ten minutes of shovelglove. Nice!

Comment

• So I've decided to start this as soon as I can get my house moved/settled and go get a hammer. So probably towards the end of this month. It's going to be my main exercise for my June 30-day challenge...

And yes, my hammer is already named :-)
              sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

• Timothy, I've been a lurker for a few months now, but I registered just to tell you that you are flat-out CRAZY.
                I was reading the Shovelglove Community College intro, and it's hillarious!
                My only problem right now is how am I going to explain to my wife what is that new sledgehammer doing in our house. Any tips?

Comment

• Vick, well done! Mind the cover on that blade, though. I certainly recommend abstaining from the Hammer Throw until you have something blunter.

Minxxa, good luck with moving your house! That'll be a nice workout in itself. Nothing like some good Torso Twists to help with a sore back. When you pick up the hammer, I hope you'll share the name with us. I'm always entertained by the creative names people choose.

OrlandoP, thank you so much, I am flattered! Going primal seems to have destroyed my ability to feel embarrassment. Which is great, because I never could have done this otherwise. As for explaining it to your wife -- well, I've heard it's good to break unusual news gently at first. "I had the strangest dream last night, dear. I was working out with a sledgehammer and becoming ripped before my own eyes! Isn't that fascinating?" Then the next day you can be all, "What a coincidence! I found this crazy website and the guy is clearly nuts, but he has this sledgehammer workout and everyone swears it works! Isn't that interesting?" Then when she finally finds your hammer or catches you shugging, she'll be like, "I should've known... but... whatever." That should buy you a few weeks to show her the results on your own body, and then there will be nothing to complain about!

Comment

• I tend to agree. Going primal will get you doing things you might not have typically done before due to embarassment! Sprinting in a soccerfield like a crazy person. Done it. Grok walked back to the start, done that too. Never before primal though let me tell you. Just wait until I start lugging Sledgy and my sandbag to the park whilst doning my VFFs. I'm quite sure there will be plenty of horrified looks to go around.
                    I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

• Hey Timothy, I love your site. I purchased an 8lb Sledge and have been doing some of the movements that I have seen in videos posted on this thread. I would really like to add in some of the interesting movements that you have created, but I am not confident I can replicate them from your pictures alone. Do you have plans to make videos of each movement in the near future? Thanks for your enthusiasm, it motivated me to give this a shot. Well that and the amazing changes you are seeing after only three months.
                      Primal Cyclist - No Brakes, No Gears, No Handlebars, One Wheel, No Problem

Comment

• I finally found a sledge hammer in Toronto (guess I can't call it Crappy Tire anymore)! Yesterday I did a combo of moves from Timothy's Shovelglove 101 and shovelglove.com. I only did 15 mins with the sledge and was breathing pretty hard but I think I need to be more coordinated to get a really get workout - or maybe workout longer. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Timothy for the guide!

And BugMan, have you seen the videos on shovelglove.com yet? They might help you get started. I'm really, really uncoordinated and just did my own thing a few times - if it doesn't hurt (in a bad way), I figure it should be ok.

Comment

• BugMan, thanks a lot! I'm very glad you liked the guide. I started shovelglove just because it was more fun than any other weight workout I had tried. But the changes to my upper body really shocked me. I never got results like that with any other weight program and wasn't really expecting them. That motivated me to write the guide, along with reading other forum members complain about being bored in the gym. So I'm happy to hear you were encouraged to try it with a hammer of your own!

I made the site with just pictures and text so that it would be more accessible to casual browsers, but I've realized that leaves a lot of gaps. Some of the moves, like the Bullroarer or Grutte Pier, are very hard to explain without videos. Likewise with the footwork and the transitions between motions. In particular, SCC Form 1 is going to look really nice on video once I can execute it flawlessly (quite hard to do!)

My next Urban Primalist article is probably going to be an Urban Workout primer, but after that I intend to revise the SCC guides and add some video.

Thanks again for liking my guide. I hope there's enough to get you started and feeling great!

Comment

• Looking forward to the updates. I am definitely enjoying the exercises that I am doing so far, but being able to add to the routine and change it up will be nice. Amazing how much can be done with such a simple tool.
                            Primal Cyclist - No Brakes, No Gears, No Handlebars, One Wheel, No Problem

Comment

• Hi Timothy!
                              I have to thank you for introducing me to Primal Blueprint. One lazy Sunday I was reading the New York Times, which led me to Everyday Systems, and then to your site. At which point I was so impressed by your fitness and health transformation that I followed you to Mark's Daily Apple. It's been about three weeks now and I'm feeling great. I'm about 90 percent primal in terms of food, and have gone from drinking approximately 20 liters of diet coke a week to under one liter a week. (I'm still allowing myself an occasional rum and diet coke when I'm on a date, if only to make my dates seem more interesting.) One Sunday I plan to start a 90 day challenge, complete with pictures to document my progress.

My only problem with Shovelglove so far is that using my 10 pound shovel glove is much harder than I anticipated. I'm so sore at night that it's difficult to sleep, and I'm certainly not doing 14 minutes yet. Who knew a 10 pound weight on the end of a stick would be so much more challenging that the far heavier weights that I'm used to lifting in non-functional movements?

Anyway, thanks again for your site and your posts on MDA. I have also been drawing my sister into the primal lifestyle and hope it will also influence my 6-year-old nephew's health in the future...

Cheers,

Superdeluxe
                              Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

Comment

• It looks like you are on to something here, Tim. I love your enthusiasm for shovelglove! I've done tire + hammer workouts but this is a nice take on the ol hammer swings. I might have to try it sometime!
                                "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X