Barbell Squats Are Not Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbell Squats Are Not Primal?

I came across this interesting blog post on why barbell squats are not paleo. (i was searching for alternatives to squats..).

I thought it made sense. What do you think?

I think he has a right to his opinion but nothing on this gods green earth is paleo anymore. It's an idealized way of living that makes you feel good and is good for you

If hed said barbell squats arent natural evolution-direct movements based on his kids never having done rhem then itd be a whole different ball game
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
      I think he has a right to his opinion but nothing on this gods green earth is paleo anymore. It's an idealized way of living that makes you feel good and is good for you

If hed said barbell squats arent natural evolution-direct movements based on his kids never having done rhem then itd be a whole different ball game
      Wait didn't he say exactly that ?

Comment

Ok, but if I want to carry a dead body over the shoulders is the way to go, I'm gonna get it over while low down then stand up.
        You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Comment

The whole concept of "training" isn't Paleo. Squats are a favourite among many of the top trainers in the world, and arguing with them based on the concept of whether it is Paleo or not is rather silly.

Weighted squats can be done safely with proper technique.
          "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Generally speaking a beneficial whole body movement is preferable to say, a leg curl. It's easy to see why people like squats. It's hard to argue with the assertion that a weighted squat is not a movement found in nature though.

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
              The whole concept of "training" isn't Paleo. Squats are a favourite among many of the top trainers in the world, and arguing with them based on the concept of whether it is Paleo or not is rather silly.

Weighted squats can be done safely with proper technique.
              Nope. I'm convinced. I'm done with squats and going to take up wooly mammoth hunting instead.
              The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Solution = Full Squat Cleans (there, I just made it Primal)

That would be the barbell equivalent to throwing a carcass over your should, or hefting a log up to build a shelter.

Comment

Originally posted by wnoblit View Post

That would be the barbell equivalent to throwing a carcass over your should, or hefting a log up to build a shelter.
                  +1
                  "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

How would he pick something up off the ground, with one kid strapped to his back?

I'm just sayin'...

He's completely ignoring the necessity of carrying a weighted pack on your back. It is something he's never seen his kids do, because he (probably) doesn't make them walk while carrying everything they own. If he ever had to carry something heavy, he'd rather have it on his back than in his hands like a deadlift.

I still load rucks on a chair, then squat down and strap in, standing up like it was a weighted squat. The other option is to load it on the floor, deadlift/clean it up, and manipulate it and yourself so the ruck and your back line up. It's kind of a hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by wnoblit View Post

Yep, i came to the same conclusion. It's an exercise I particularly like in fact. squat/deadlift/clean/thrust --good stuff

Comment

Hey the guy gotta point. There is a very legit argument against the way we load a bar on our backs and squat. I think you could argue that if you cant lift that amount of weight from the ground to your shoulder then it is likely too much for you to be squatting with. Why? Cause it makes sense. The vertebral column is build much like a pyramid with the smallest bones on top and the largest at the bottom. Why would you top load a structure like that with more weight than you could legitimately expect to lift from the ground? Whatever... I love deadlifts. Just not a fan of the position we put ourselves in with squats. Call me a sissy.... but I'm just adding a deadlift day and hitting the leg press instead. BTW yes there are tensegrity models of mechanics you can use to refute the pyramid analogy and I can acknowledge that exists... I also am speaking as someone who herniated a disc at the age of 15. I'm a prude when it comes to spine safety these days.

Comment

Just because back squats "aren't primal" doesn't mean they can't be advantageous to your fitness and/or health.

Comment

Originally posted by NowhereMan View Post
                            Just because back squats "aren't primal" doesn't mean they can't be advantageous to your fitness and/or health.
                            Yes!

It's so annoying when people use Paleo or Primal as an excuse to do or not do something.

Paleo is a FRAMEWORK for your health. It's not the end-all-be-all. Just because someone 10,000 years ago didn't do a barbell squat doesn't mean we shouldn't do it today.

I didn't read the article, but if that's what it's saying, that's lame. That being said...if you do the barbell squat with bad form, you can really screw yourself up. Gotta be careful.

Squats are phenomenal, though. I started squatting a year ago and now am very close to having a 6-pack..I haven't done any ab work either
                            Primal since September, 2011
                            LeanGains IF
                            -----
                            Conquer your own world and become the leader of your own life
                            Inner Gladiator

How To Never Get Sick (And Add 72,000 Hours To Your Life)

Comment

"But a squat with weight on the shoulders (or something even close to that) I've never seen it. "

I did it just this weekend. I stopped at a spring, filled up 7 liters of water, put it in my backpack and put on my backpack. Just for fun I thought, could I squat this? So I did. I never actually dropped anything with my pack on, but if I had, I would have squatted down to pick it up and squatted back up with my pack on because if you bend over to pick something up with your pack on, it slides forward and the weight might shift enough to throw you forward.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X