No announcement yet.

Ladies who lift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wooppeeee I'm excited I found this thread.

I taught myself how to lift about 3 months ago, so I was in the same boat as some of you new girls! (and still am, I learn stuff all the time!)

I taught myself form off bodybuilding.com and by talking to my brothers and then when I was at the gym one day a trainer came over to me because I was showing a friend how to squat, and he said I had perfect form!! Best compliment I have received in years. So it is possible to teach yourselves! I messed around with no weight on the bar to learn for a few weeks. I still make slight adjustments to form every now and then. I started out high bar squatting and am now trying low bar.

As for grip on deadlifts.. I am constantly adjusting my grip between reps - maybe every 3 reps or so I release and regrip quickly. Tonight I did 95kg/198lb for 6 reps with quite a gap in the middle because one of my calluses ripped off, owie! I don't know what I'm going to do as the bar gets heavier... I hadn't thought that far ahead. Hmm
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Comment

Originally posted by katiepotato View Post
      By "those grip thingies" do you mean Fatgripz or lifting straps?

I use DH's lifting straps for my heavy deadlift, currently at 75kgs - they don't remove the need to stop and re-set my grip after a couple of reps but they definitely help.

Haven't tried Fatgripz (or similar) but would be interested in feedback from anyone who has....
      I would say that straps and Fatgripz are used for entirely different purposes. Straps help for the overall strength (but not so much with your grip)/increased repetitions whereas the fatbar (Fatgripz) concept could help build your grip, theoretically, but is limiting depending on how big your hands are

Comment

Originally posted by nixxy View Post
        As for grip on deadlifts.. I am constantly adjusting my grip between reps - maybe every 3 reps or so I release and regrip quickly. Tonight I did 95kg/198lb for 6 reps with quite a gap in the middle because one of my calluses ripped off, owie! I don't know what I'm going to do as the bar gets heavier... I hadn't thought that far ahead. Hmm
        Shave and maintain those calluses, gurl!

Comment

just reporting back to say i tried chalk and it helps.

Comment

I love chalk LOL, I used to practically drown in the stuff when I was doing CF.

I have been thinking about my own lifting, because I am so backwards from where I was at CF, should I go back and do something like New Rules of Lifting for Woman? Over SS? Since I have so much weight to lose still? I don't really want to go back to machines, but there are a few in the NR plan, but I guess I could substitute them for something with a barbell.

Comment

Originally posted by unsuperb View Post
              I would say that straps and Fatgripz are used for entirely different purposes. Straps help for the overall strength (but not so much with your grip)/increased repetitions whereas the fatbar (Fatgripz) concept could help build your grip, theoretically, but is limiting depending on how big your hands are
              Interesting, thanks. I've always thought I had fairly large hands for a girl, but it sounds like I might be better off just sticking with the straps - or getting some chalk...

Comment

My trainer has mentioned getting gloves a couple of time as I'm getting some callouses. He says they'll help with grip too.

I'm not keen though - sounds a bit 'poncy' to me ...my callouses are like badges of honour and I don't really have a problem with grip at the moment although perhaps that will change when my weights get even heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by spuggygirl View Post
                  my callouses are like badges of honour
                  Amen. As much as my mother does not want me to be like a guy.
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by katiepotato View Post
                    Interesting, thanks. I've always thought I had fairly large hands for a girl, but it sounds like I might be better off just sticking with the straps - or getting some chalk...
                    Well, you could possibly benefit from the Fatgripz then (if you want to work on grip strength). I have larger hands, and was able to lift a fatbar without too much difficulties at the weights that I lift, whereas my SO has tiny hands, and even though she deadlifts 3x her bodyweight, she had a hell of a time gripping it at weights that she wouldn't even consider challenging. Chalk is definitely handy though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                      Hook grip!
                      +1

What a difference. When my grip fails its because I'm not using it. This might be in my head but when my thumb is "trapped" under my hand its as though I use the anterior muscles of my forearm less (and that is what fatigues on me for heavy stuff) because my thumb is just locked in there... does that make any sense?

I've never seen or read anything that suggests to NOT work on developing a good hook grip. Granted if you are small-handed and using a 45lb bar it might be tough. I use the 35lb bar because of my child-sized hands

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
                        I've never seen or read anything that suggests to NOT work on developing a good hook grip. Granted if you are small-handed and using a 45lb bar it might be tough. I use the 35lb bar because of my child-sized hands
                        OH. That might help with me. I use 45lb bars only. And I can only barely reach an octave on the piano.
                        My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

My trainer has mentioned getting gloves a couple of time as I'm getting some callouses. He says they'll help with grip too.
                          I'm surprised; my Crossfit gym has straight up banned them due to people flying off of pullup bars, kettlebells and barbells flying out of people's hands, etc. My experience with gloves is that the grip plummets. I hate them. I like to feel what I'm holding/lifting and develop my grip naturally.

Hook grip FTW. Best thing I've ever learned. Suddenly endless rounds of unbroken hang cleans are downright possible.

my callouses are like badges of honour
                          I feel exactly the same way, only make sure you're sanding them down with a pumice or nail buffer or something, because otherwise the day will come when you'll rip, and there is almost nothing worse than a rip. Makes it impossible to do anything with bar, or even pushups, for days.

What I do is on the heaviest set I do the over/under grip, where one hand is reversed. But all the warm-ups I do the regular grip. That way I kind of build up the strength as I go. So far so good.
                          This is perfect. You're either very intuitive, or you had a great teacher. Or both.
                          Last edited by heatseeker; 02-21-2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I have yet to use chalk. I think I would freak out. I can't stand the feeling of chalk and would get the heebie-jeebies if it touched my fingernails.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Does anyone have a suggestion for me to my post on the previous page?

Comment

Does anyone have a suggestion for me to my post on the previous page?
                                i dont have any experience with either of those protocols so i cant say. i just go for it and do whatever but i do have a trainer. we mix it up and just go hard the whole time and i get results. maybe go easier to begin with and concentrate on correct form. hire a decent personal trainer if you can afford one. the emphasis is on decent so do your research. work out your goals and find one who appreciates that and has experience there. plus if you have a trainer, you will have motivation not to quit.

Comment

Working...
                                X