Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ladies who lift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Machines are addictive, that's one reason to avoid them. That's said, better a leg press on a machine than a squat with a bad form.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

    Comment


    • #47
      If the trainers at the gym suck, see if you can hire one that is not associated with the gym you belong to. Then buy day passes for your sessions to whatever gym that PT uses.

      Hey man, we all squat the empty bar. ALWAYS squat the empty bar. That's what Rippetoe says.

      Oh, and I thought deadlifts looked simple. No crazy getting yourself into some contorted squat position. Nothing is moving or being balanced at the beginning. You're not going to fall over. Just pick it up. I had no idea it took so many muscles to pick something up.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

      Comment


      • #48
        Ok YogaBare, I'm going to start lifting too.

        I love my gym, but I have been guilty of fooling around with the machines and very light dumbells for too long. I am fascinated with the idea of Barbell lifting but have been too chicken to start it. Worried about what all the boys will think of me.

        I plan on downloading "Starting Strength" today and getting started tonight.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

        Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

        Comment


        • #49
          The boys are going to be more worried what you will think of them.

          The other day I was squatting in the rack next to this other guy who was also squatting. I had worked out next to him a few days before, too. The previous time he failed a squat and had to bail under the crash bars. He looked so embarrassed. I tried to pretend I didn't see. Then this time he failed again only I couldn't pretend I didn't see because I was sitting facing him. So I joked with him that that was going to be me on my next set, you just watch. Then I said he squats really well, lower than any other guy in they gym, most of them do these wussy half squats. I think I made him feel better. Then when I did fail my squats he helped me unload the bar.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

          Comment


          • #50
            I started lifting recently too and I would strongly advise to start with a PT, and even stick with it for a few sessions. I was squatting 70kg yesterday, my new PB, and it really helped that my PT was there to act as my spotter. Not only for that but he also pointed out that I should correct the positioning of my arms as I otherwise would have bent forward. Also I am more comfortable in stacking up more weights as I would probably not dare to lift that much without a spotter.
            As many other girls here mentioned before there are rarely other girls around that lift nevermind the heavy weights. I would love to find a girl that I could train with so that we could assist eachother.

            Comment


            • #51
              My new favorite butt exercise is the single leg deadlift with my 45# kettlebell. It's the best isolation I've found so far.
              PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                The boys are going to be more worried what you will think of them.

                The other day I was squatting in the rack next to this other guy who was also squatting. I had worked out next to him a few days before, too. The previous time he failed a squat and had to bail under the crash bars. He looked so embarrassed. I tried to pretend I didn't see. Then this time he failed again only I couldn't pretend I didn't see because I was sitting facing him. So I joked with him that that was going to be me on my next set, you just watch. Then I said he squats really well, lower than any other guy in they gym, most of them do these wussy half squats. I think I made him feel better. Then when I did fail my squats he helped me unload the bar.
                I find men in gyms so intimidating... they stare. Makes me terrified to go near the weights for fear I'll blush furiously and drop a barbell on someone's foot

                So your story's consoling - thanks
                Last edited by YogaBare; 02-15-2013, 12:06 PM.
                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                - Ray Peat

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                  Ok YogaBare, I'm going to start lifting too.

                  I love my gym, but I have been guilty of fooling around with the machines and very light dumbells for too long. I am fascinated with the idea of Barbell lifting but have been too chicken to start it. Worried about what all the boys will think of me.

                  I plan on downloading "Starting Strength" today and getting started tonight.
                  Amazing! Post your progress.

                  I'm going snowboarding next week but once I get back I think I'll fork out for a PT that can show me the ropes. There's a lot to take in and I don't have hours and hours to study up on it. I've started reading "Starting Strength" though, and it's very accessible.
                  "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                  In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                  - Ray Peat

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                    I find men in gyms so intimidating... they stare. Makes me terrified to go near the weights for fear I'll blush furiously and drop a barbell on someone's foot.

                    So your story's consoling - thanks
                    Just ignore them and put all of your focus/attention on what you are doing. After a couple of times you won't even notice them.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Catrin View Post
                      Just ignore them and put all of your focus/attention on what you are doing. After a couple of times you won't even notice them.
                      I'm not too worried now - just needed to look at it from the other perspective People generally aren't douches after all. Thanks though
                      "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                      In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                      - Ray Peat

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by YogaBare View Post
                        I find men in gyms so intimidating... they stare. Makes me terrified to go near the weights for fear I'll blush furiously and drop a barbell on someone's foot.
                        I actually really enjoy being in the weights section. The "morning crew" of guys (and a few women) are all really cool; most older than me, and have introduced themselves over the last few months. We know each other by name... it kind of keeps me accountable to not slack off!

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          I think its great that you ladies are wanting to lift heavy. Major props to you! There are some great women bloggers out there who give out a ton of great info about it, so I figure I'd share.

                          Girls Gone Strong

                          Molly Galbraith

                          Nia Shanks

                          Jen Sinkler

                          Kelli Davis

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            I think they guys feel they have free reign to stare at women in the aerobics section or pretty much anywhere but over in the free weights section. Over there, they know you are serious.
                            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              I think they guys feel they have free reign to stare at women in the aerobics section or pretty much anywhere but over in the free weights section. Over there, they know you are serious.
                              Oh, I would still stare at women in the free weights area....in the most non-creepy way, of course

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by andyTHFC View Post
                                Oh, I would still stare at women in the free weights area....in the most non-creepy way, of course
                                Is that why you had such a good repertoire of female blogs up your sleeve?

                                Thanks for sharing Andy - some good stuff there! Added to the reading list...
                                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

                                In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

                                - Ray Peat

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X