Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any other women who put on muscle ridiculously easily?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for you! Always a struggle for me, and I am still searching for a perfect training style to get some muscle growing! And you don't have to apologize for being the way you are. Some will consider it lucky, some - a curse... but that changes nothing. If you want a slower rate of growth, the high rep-light weight is supposed to do that or training in the water (both cardio and resistance, different muscule profile), but I bet you know it.
    Last edited by Leida; 02-11-2013, 12:10 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I understand the point Kharnath is making (or rather trying to). Let me try to rephrase it:

"It is somewhat irksome (and cliche) for a woman who is overweight to make claims that light to moderate weight lifting is making her bulky"

for the sake of something to compare lean versus nont lean -- here's a good link

I believe the crux of Kharnath's "point" is that until a woman leans out to the point where "fat" is no longer bulking her body up, "muscle" isn't what is bulking her up. Additionally, because of the physiology of women in general, as well as the fact that the person who claims to be bulking up on account of muscle is probably an untrained or novice athlete training lightly they have much less muscle mass than they actually believe. That's as succintly and diplomatically as I can try and reformat it.

Any how I tend to agree with that statement ^^

Which isn't to say that girls like Holly Mangold aren't crazy strong (or that women CANNOT be strong).

She was helping coach a USAW Level 1 certification I was attending; she reps more than my 1 RM back squat

... but it does a disservice to women who do train intensely, are strong for women who do not and are not, to claim that muscle is making them bulky. Holly's coach is the first one who will tell you that Holly should lose weight -- it isn't her muscles that make her "bulky".
      ad astra per aspera

Comment

Thank you, TheFastCat, for not going out of your way to be insulting. Women get enough crap about their bodies without guys like Kharnath automatically assuming that we are stupid and couldn't possibly know what we are talking about. And I think those of us who are overweight have been completely forthcoming about it (I've given enough personal info in this thread to make me slightly nervous). But what do you make of the fact that for some women (like me), weighing 145 lbs would put me down into the essential fat zone if I somehow managed not to lose muscle along the way? And that several of us have said that we have lost significant amounts of weight while maintaining or even increasing measurements around extremities (in the last month, I've barely lost any weight, but my waist has decreased two inches and my calf muscles and upper arms are noticeably more defined and have not decreased in circumference)?

I'm not going to argue that claiming that "it's muscle" isn't common among overweight people of both genders. But I think several of us have given enough information to allow a reader to make a reasonable assumption that some of us just find it easier to develop lean body mass than others. And people like Kharnath, and even you (albeit to a much lesser extent), do not help women who might be a few standard deviations above the mean as far as building muscle goes feel like they have a place in the paleo/primal world when you seem to enforce the idea that healthy equals 20% (or 17%) BF at 120 lbs (a weight which for me, at least, would be extremely unhealthy unless I dropped 25 lbs of lean mass, and even then I'd be floating around at 16-17% body fat). Maybe I'm putting words in your mouth, but this is how guys can come across when it comes to women, weight, and muscle. I think we value your perspective, but please respond to us as individuals, instead of making blanket statements about our health and genetics.

Comment

Maybe that's what Kharnath is saying but it's not what I'm saying. I've gained and lost weight many times over my lifetime. This is the only time I've ever had my thighs get bigger and my waist get smaller. And the only time I've ever had my arms get harder and stay the same size.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

"It is somewhat irksome (and cliche) for a woman who is overweight to make claims that light to moderate weight lifting is making her bulky"
            I appreciate your attempt, TheFastCat, and your tact, but that's still not what we're talking about in this thread. We're not talking about being bulky, having big muscles, anything like that. The OP was asking if any other women out there, like her, seem to show muscle size and definition more quickly and easily than other women doing a similar amount of work. No qualifications as to the size or bulk of the muscle were ever made.

The point of the thread is: Girl A, who has been doing my exact workouts for exactly as long as me, still looks her skinny self with barely any change, whereas my muscle definition is much more apparent and my muscle size visibly larger. Therefore, I seem to be putting on muscle more easily than the other girl.

That's it. That's all we're talking about. We're not talking about looking like professional weightlifters, or bodybuilders, or men, or anything.

Comment

Maybe in addition to your apparent genetic advantage, you have other aspects of your lifestyle that differ from skinny Girl A?

I imagine that lots of high quality protein could definitely help you with muscle tone, in a good way.
              Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
              5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
              Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
              TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
              bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Youuuuuuuu hooooooooo, Kharnath, where aaaaaaaaaare you?
                "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

TheFastCat- that was a much more polite way to say it, but I would like to just as respectfully point out that while that could be the case, it could very easily not be the case. I've been fat and I've been relatively lean with muscle and without. I don't have actual measurements to back me up on this- but let me tell you, the same clothes fit differently whether I have muscle or not. I put on enough for a distinct change in my shape. For me, that's a significant amount.

Yes, "putting on muscle" can be mis-used just like "being curvy" can be mis-used. As a woman that has the potential for both muscles and curves, it gets irksome when they get confused with flat-out fat. At the moment, I'm fat. The plan is to return to curvy, which includes putting on muscle (since that just happens to me).
                  http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

understood ladies

/salute
                    ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                      understood ladies

/salute
                      Well, that was vastly more polite than Kharnath's second post in this thread. I guess you can stay, TheFastCat

Comment

There are two young women I see in the gym regularly. One has a really nice lean, lithe figure. The other has massive thighs, I mean seriously huge, and pretty big upper body muscles. All natural, just really big for a woman--for anybody really. They both lift pretty impressive weights and the one with the huge thighs is really good at bench press. She puts most men to shame. They obviously have worked hard for a very long time. Some women can put on muscle really easily. I'm not anywhere near the lady with the big thighs myself.
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yes, I am rather bulky and put on muscle very easily. Of course, it is because of my laziness of not restricting what I eat.

I'm 5'4", 155lbs, possibly around 28-30% bf. I fit into intermediate to almost-elite on the spectrum on the strength standards provided. You could argue my gains were very fast, considering I was lifting 3x/week, sprinting in between and hiking on weekends when I was getting serious into weight lifting (squat went from 115x5 to 155x5 in 1 month)
                          Last edited by sakura_girl; 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM.
                          My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Actually, I have a hypothesis that having extra body fat helps gaining muscle more easily. Gaining muscle is a very expensive process for the body, particularly for a woman, plus women need to have more body fat, and the internal workings are all wired to pad a woman up for a potential pregnancy, so the signal to grow muscles does not get initiated until the body is completely satisfied that you are well prepared to conceive and give birth to a plump newborn - which is a BF% over the athletic level (higher 20ies-lower thirties). A skinny female with large muscle is even more of a genetic abnormality probably than a skinny male with large muscle. I always chicken out before testing this hypothesis, that muscle gain becomes easier as body fat % increases because the extra fat padding becomes unbearable for me and I switch to the weight loss mode, making the main mistake beginner female BB do: cut waaay too soon. I wish I had the guts to stand my gut (yeah, that was a horrible pun) for long enough to see that shift in muscle to fat gain ration to mostly muscle during the bulking phase. So far, my ratio was always horrible, 25:75 at best. I wish there was a research at which BF% that ratio starts shifting to muscle over fat with proper stimulation. I am almost tempted to re-gear my workouts towards sheer hyperthrophy but I loath dropping heavy reps.

Anyway, ladies, well done!!!

Comment

Leida, awesome post. Really interesting theory, too. Now I want to know all about how a female bodybuilder goes about gaining muscle and then cutting fat. Not that I want to bodybuild, just that it'd be interesting to see how it's done. I know for me personally, it's nearly impossible to build muscle while cutting fat. I'm currently in fat-loss mode and my lifts have stayed even steven the entire time (no loss of strength, thankfully, but no progression). Anyway, you sound like you know a lot about this, any outside resources on this topic you could point me toward?

Comment

I did not find a good all-encompassing research paper connecting body fat % with the ability to build muscular mass, but I had read a few eye-opening books:

Why Women Need Fat - a great in-depth book on the biological mechanism behind the fat pattern accumulation throughout a woman's life
                                Lyle' McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 - that's an eye-opening read about the whole fat vs muscle with some women-specific asides

I have seen insane amount of testimonies over the years about losing upper body strength and muscular development in the effort to reduce lower body fat accumulations - something I have done as well and via various methods of training and dieting. I am also familiar with 2 or 3 testimonies from the successful ladies who achieved body re-composition growing leaner and muscular (Stacie, Kaleo, Paula)

Finally, the reference to the female body builders cutting too fast came from one of many searches I was doing on the internet from the BodyBuilding website...

Gotta run, sorry, I am really interested in this topic and can chat for ages about it, while the rest yells Boo at me

Comment

Working...
                                X