Strength building plan for women?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BklynGirl View Post
    Ladies, anyone have any specific thoughts on Starting Strength vs. New Rules? From what I can tell, Starting Strength is good for getting a strong foundation in traditional barbell training, whereas NRLW is more of a particular methodology geared toward women.
    Does anyone know how these methods differ from P90X or X2? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by BklynGirl View Post
      Ladies, anyone have any specific thoughts on Starting Strength vs. New Rules? From what I can tell, Starting Strength is good for getting a strong foundation in traditional barbell training, whereas NRLW is more of a particular methodology geared toward women.
      I think when you are new it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I chose Starting Strength because it was simple. There were fewer things I would need to learn, fewer pieces of equipment I'd have to fuss with. A few warmups and then lift 3 sets of 5. Add more weight to the bar every time. That just sounded simpler and I was already confused enough. I also looked at Stronglifts, but the 5 sets of 5 looked like it would kill me.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5 are simpler and cut out a lot of fluttering about the gym from a piece of equipment to a piece of equipment. It focuses your efforts. Less lifts per session in my humble is better than more, particularly if your goal is a strength gain. Get thyself ancle weights and go incrementally by a lb a session on UB lifts and 2 lbs for squats with 5 lbs left on the DL. That's fine. Don't worry too much about the progression, concentrate on doing the best you can each time. Try not to lift 4x a week. You are messing your recovery even you are training a different group of muscle.
        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
        When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Working...
        X