Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Annieh View Post
    Zoe that is very interesting.
    My guy is doing a training at my place probably next weekend (17 Feb) -- PM me if you are interested. It's a full day of work. I don't know the cost yet. BUt, I tell you, it's priceless.

I have zero pain when I stand right. ANd lots of it when I stand "normally." HUGE differences in A LOT of ways.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
      My guy is doing a training at my place probably next weekend (17 Feb) -- PM me if you are interested. It's a full day of work. I don't know the cost yet. BUt, I tell you, it's priceless.

I have zero pain when I stand right. ANd lots of it when I stand "normally." HUGE differences in A LOT of ways.
      That's awesome. Is it similar to Esther Gokhale's style that Mark posted about?: How to Improve Your Posture | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

yodiewan,

I would say yes and no. Yes in that the blog post talks about one of the first elements that we do -- the pelvis. But we are also looking at a lot of other processes besides about shifting weight, how to move in the thoracic lumbar junction, the thoracic spine, etc. how the lats and glutes work together, etc.

It may be exactly the same thing, though.

Comment

How badly do you want flat abs? I am older than you, 5'4, 110 at my heaviest and sported abflab for years, despite dedicated Atkins eating and working out several times a day. I thought it was having children, aging and genetics until...I tried Robb Wolfe's 30 day Paleo challenge in its most restricted form - basically I ate nonplant protein and vegetables and drank tea or water. Almost immediately, I felt better and lost my belly. When I added foods back in, I learned that some "allowed" foods made me pudge right back up (and caused the sinus problems that I thought were seasonal allergies).

At the same time, I changed my workouts. I got serious with weights (I recommend DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards or Wendler's 5/3/1.) Ignore anyone who tells you that you will bulk up like a man. You will find your abs get a great workout, lose flab and build good muscle. I also now limit cardio to a few tabada or hiit sessions (10 to 20 minutes) and do 2 long walks a week. Try it and see if it helps.

Comment

IMHO, this is pretty sound advice here... Everyone has their own anecdotes that got them to where they are. I don't really buy the whole "working your abs will make your ab muscles stick out too far" gig. Sure there are exercises that will definitely add some girth, but those are typically externally weighted exercises. Even in a person that wants to maintain a slim profiles (powerlifters usually actually want a wider base), I believe externally weighted ab exercises have their merit.

The consensus seems to be on the board that diet is the key to the whole "seeing your abs" thing. While I wholeheartedly that the only way to see the sexy stomach typically envisioned is through loss of fat (i.e. mostly through dieting), I also believe that your muscle condition has a lot to do with it. Let's say that you unveil the wall (or sheets... whatever) of fat. If there isn't strong muscle base, than there really won't be anything to show off. Sure, it'll be flat. But will it be that definition and "6-pack" you're looking for? I think the answer is yes only if you incorporate both diet and some decent work on your abdomen. Lots of studies and anecdotal evidence have shown that people (stereotypically guys) that want to have that ripped and super musular look in the summer use a combination of diet, some cardio for fat loss (be it HIIT, steady state, etc.), lower repetition (3-5 reps) and a proportional amount (read high) of weight to give your muscles a good amount of intramuscular tension. It's not a circus trick, its just using the weight training to create tension in your muscles to make them stand out prominently. This also implies that the emphasis of your abs, while always can be good, will not always be "great".

WS for Skinny Bastards and 5/3/1 are both excellent programs.

Originally posted by lyn c nito View Post
            How badly do you want flat abs? I am older than you, 5'4, 110 at my heaviest and sported abflab for years, despite dedicated Atkins eating and working out several times a day. I thought it was having children, aging and genetics until...I tried Robb Wolfe's 30 day Paleo challenge in its most restricted form - basically I ate nonplant protein and vegetables and drank tea or water. Almost immediately, I felt better and lost my belly. When I added foods back in, I learned that some "allowed" foods made me pudge right back up (and caused the sinus problems that I thought were seasonal allergies).

At the same time, I changed my workouts. I got serious with weights (I recommend DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards or Wendler's 5/3/1.) Ignore anyone who tells you that you will bulk up like a man. You will find your abs get a great workout, lose flab and build good muscle. I also now limit cardio to a few tabada or hiit sessions (10 to 20 minutes) and do 2 long walks a week. Try it and see if it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              You can't spot-reduce fat. Get your BF% under 20 and your tummy will be flat.
              This.

Also, women generally struggle with removing this lower belly fat because it's in our genes to have it. For baby-making, the fat down there helps protect the womb.

Bottom line: just reduce your body fat overall.
              >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
              >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
              >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Comment

And for the record, every man i know loves the curve of that area. I haven't met a man who likes women who doesn't.

So, you know, I wouldn't worry about it over-much. If that's an interest or concern of yours.

Comment

Suck your stomach in as you work out - particularly as you plank.
                  "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                    And for the record, every man i know loves the curve of that area. I haven't met a man who likes women who doesn't.

So, you know, I wouldn't worry about it over-much. If that's an interest or concern of yours.
                    +1

Super flat is definitely less sexy than a nice curve. In general, but especially in that area.

Comment

Working...
                    X