Overhead Press Progression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhead Press Progression

There used to be a video about the overhead press progression on Youtube. The other 4 progression videos are still there. Has something changed in the Blueprint that the overhead press isn't recommended any more?

I just substituted a dumbbell military press today. But I'd like to know if there's been a change. I got the fitness book about a year ago.

Convict Conditioning has one.

Comment

I think they took it out, but who cares, Everyone should do the over head press with a barbell anyway.

Comment

I agree. Pick something heavy off the ground and lift it over your head. What's a better demonstration of strength than that?

Comment

Originally posted by dgreenwood View Post
          I agree. Pick something heavy off the ground and lift it over your head. What's a better demonstration of strength than that?
          well that's a clean and jerk... which is a better demonstration of strength than a strict press imho!
          ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
            well that's a clean and jerk... which is a better demonstration of strength than a strict press imho!
            Technically, a clean and jerk is a demonstration of power, which is strength over time, not raw strength

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
              Technically, a clean and jerk is a demonstration of power, which is strength over time, not raw strength
              nah - just do it reaaaal slow like a power lifter :P

It's funny how much difference there is between powerlifters/weightlifters ; at my USAW cert the coach was kind of talking shit about the deadlift as a functional movement (as opposed to the clean deadlift or snatch deadlift) -- with the argument of "When, as an athlete or human, are you even in an athletic stance with your shins 90 degrees to the floor??" I liked that.

I'm sure power lifters have other witicisms

I met a female powerlifter a few weekends ago - I asked her what her olympic lifts were and she said "I don't even know. I don't do them ever. I try and I'm so slow it's ugly" - fascinating that there is so much adaptation and variance been strength and power. Pretty cool that there are multiple barbell sports!
              ad astra per aspera

Comment

Originally posted by TheFastCat View Post
                I met a female powerlifter a few weekends ago - I asked her what her olympic lifts were and she said "I don't even know. I don't do them ever. I try and I'm so slow it's ugly" - fascinating that there is so much adaptation and variance been strength and power. Pretty cool that there are multiple barbell sports!
                The interesting thing is that explosiveness is highly genetic. Everyone can get relatively strong, but not many can get powerful. Seems like a key characteristic of many great athletes.

Comment

Working...
                X