bodybuilding.com

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bodybuilding.com

Anyone else frequent this site? I joined for fitness advice, which they are good at, however; I constantly get boo'd out of the nutrition forum. I promote a low carb life style that apparently is stupid and has no merritt. All they talk about is "bulking" then "cutting", where as myself, a low carber, never has to "bulk or "cut". I keep making strength gains while looking cut (i could prob cut 4 pounds. big deal)

bodybuilding.com & tnation are hilarious. occasional good reads, with totally worthless forums.

one thing to note, though - not everyone reacts/adapts to low carb diets the same way. the majority of people trying one will only continue with strength gains for a limited amount of time. it's not an issue of bulking and cutting, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingofturtles View Post
      Anyone else frequent this site? I joined for fitness advice, which they are good at, however; I constantly get boo'd out of the nutrition forum. I promote a low carb life style that apparently is stupid and has no merritt. All they talk about is "bulking" then "cutting", where as myself, a low carber, never has to "bulk or "cut". I keep making strength gains while looking cut (i could prob cut 4 pounds. big deal)
      I've been weight lifting for a while and I was never a fan of that site. There is some good information there sometimes. However, from what I've seen, most they talk about is just getting huge and posting pictures of each other in underwear while commenting on how big or small some muscle is. Recently I saw a thread of some guy posting pictures of his legs asking why his inner quads are not as big as his outer quads. He got into a nasty argument with another member, who posted a picture of his own legs with a bigger inner quad, saying he achieved it by doing leg extensions and that the other guy was a pussy. They also say "bro" way too much.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
        the majority of people trying one will only continue with strength gains for a limited amount of time. it's not an issue of bulking and cutting, either.
        Care to elaborate? Are you saying low carb = limited gains?

Comment

yeah, so ridiculous

except they're right
          Make America Great Again

Comment

Care to elaborate? Are you saying low carb = limited gains?
            i certainly didn't put anything in absolutes. pretty sure i prefaced that by saying "not everyone reacts/adapts to low carb diets the same way." why do low carbers get so defensive?

i'm saying that for the majority of people that try it, *not everyone*, yes, low carb will equal limited gains. muscles like glycogen and glucose. most people don't get big & bad on ketogenic diets. doesn't mean it's impossible, doesn't mean that you're doing it wrong, doesn't mean that *you* should change anything. but recognize that you're not in the majority here.

Comment

I frequent BB.com a ton, more than this site. I just love the lifting lifestyle. That being said, I'm JUST like you. I get attacked constantly in nutrition for giving people advice. I've learned to pretty much stay away from that section. If i hear the phrase "if it fits your macros" one more time I might scream. What is your username?? maybe we can help each other out. I am "iusedtobefat99"

And in response to the low carb = limited gains ... lets take a hypothetical situation. Say someone eats 3lbs of steak and 12 eggs a day, you are going to tell me with a straight face they couldn't gain? Can't think of anything more anabolic than that

Comment

Originally posted by Derpamix View Post
                yeah, so ridiculous

except they're right
                about.....?

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                  i certainly didn't put anything in absolutes. pretty sure i prefaced that by saying "not everyone reacts/adapts to low carb diets the same way." why do low carbers get so defensive?

i'm saying that for the majority of people that try it, *not everyone*, yes, low carb will equal limited gains. muscles like glycogen and glucose. most people don't get big & bad on ketogenic diets. doesn't mean it's impossible, doesn't mean that you're doing it wrong, doesn't mean that *you* should change anything. but recognize that you're not in the majority here.
                  I wasn't being defensive. I wanted to understand exactly what you meant.

@Beatlesfan my name is kingofturtles on that site as well.

Comment

Originally posted by quikky View Post
                    They also say "bro" way too much.
                    Correction, its actually "brah" and yes they say it way too much.

To answer OP, yes i frequent the bodybuilding forums. With the huge number of members over there you will find people all over he map. Yes the majority follow conventional wisdom but there are also people doing keto, paleo, primal, etc. I mostly use those forums as a source of entertainment. Threads can be quite comical. Also, they have some epic before and after weight loss threads that are very motivational. check it out: **Transformations from FAT to FIT** - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Comment

I check the forums out every now and then, yeah.

On the whole - once you get past some douchebaggery, strange slang and the ridicule of a full Paleo lifestyle - there's some pretty solid advice there. And great recipes, IMO - I'm a big "sludge" fan. Srsly. Greek Yoghurt with a scoop of whey, handful of frozen berries, some nuts and crushed dark chocolate is divine.
                      Dark chocolate and coffee, running through my veins...

Fitocracy Workout Tracker:
                      https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/Shadowknight137/?feed
                      MFP Food Diary:
                      http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Shadowknight137
                      (Date is New Zealand Time UTC+ 12hours)

Comment

I check out BB.com on occasion.

What you need to keep in mind though is that its a different crowd on that site. The focus over there is on bodybuilding where many of the people on this forum really focus on optimal health. Big difference.

In the context of bodybuilding, "if it fits your macros" does work, and to an extent so do conventional wisdom low fat diets too. Just look at all of people that still eat that way and you will find some that have managed to build excellent physiques. My point is not saying one is better than another and for the record I think a mostly primal diet is the way to go but its just silly when paleo/primal die-hards frown upon other diets that also work too.

Comment

I mean it really depends on your goals....if your doing bulks and cuts then low carb seems sorta silly. It is just tough to put on a shit ton of weight eating low carb. Thats kinda the point.

Reading the PB or any paleo site you will note that they repeatedly talk about an "athletic" build or "like a decathlete" and other such descritpors. Body building is about hypertrophy and you definitely don't shoot for the "athletic" look, or what I would consider such.

Sure you can put on weight with low carb. It's just a little tougher and its in a manner that I don't think you would need a cut after.

Oh, and I'm even using low carb rather loosely here...like 150g and under.
                          Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-26-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                            Sure you can put on weight with low carb. It's just a little tougher and its in a manner that I don't think you would need a cut after.
                            A lot tougher....
                            "Go For Broke"
                            Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
                            Small Kine-168/9%
                            Now- 200/8%
                            Goal- 210/6%

Comment

It's better to stay lean. Most of the smarter folks over there know that. You're only going to be able to gain say 30-50 lbs of muscle naturally anyways, and that only takes a few years. After that, you just have to do what you have to do to keep the fat off. Bulking is pointless.

Comment

Working...
                              X