Wall sit challenge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall sit challenge?

There was a plank-off challenge thread recently http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread67349.html

Anyone interested in something similar for wall sits? Do people even do wall sits? Do you like them? Do you think they're worthless?

I went for 4 minutes today (and then 3 and 3). Wasn't tapped out. I want to work back up to 10 minutes at a time.

I think my record was about 3 minutes and 30 seconds and I couldn't walk properly for about 3 days

this all depends on how strict your wall sit is, just like the plank

10 minutes with a proper wall sit at 90 degrees is seriously good going in my book.

good luck
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Comment

I think they're worthless.
      Sandbag Training For MMA & Combat Sports
      Sandbag Training Guide on Kindle
      The Complete Guide To Sandbag Training
      Brute Force Sandbags
      www.facebook.com/sandbagfitness
      http://fitedia.com/ - Health and Fitness eBooks, video, audio and workshops

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
        As in no good per se, or worthless compared to other exercises (which I imagine is at least the case)? I honestly don't know too much about them apart from my own experience of what gets sore, so I'd be very interested if you could elaborate.

Comment

So you are all proud of your 25 min plank (isometrics), and you don't see any usefulness in a wall sit (isometrics). You seem confused.
          "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Originally posted by sjmc View Post
            As in no good per se, or worthless compared to other exercises (which I imagine is at least the case)? I honestly don't know too much about them apart from my own experience of what gets sore, so I'd be very interested if you could elaborate.
            Sorry, I was just paraphrasing. I don't do them or coach them as I don't find them to be particularly effective for anything other than getting better at the wall sit - it's not a good measure of strength or function and doesn't transfer very well into other movements.
            Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Instant cramps. Not even going to try it!
              Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
                So you are all proud of your 25 min plank (isometrics), and you don't see any usefulness in a wall sit (isometrics). You seem confused.
                Thanks for being weird and referencing an old post I made. I was never proud of my 25 minute plank, it was just something I did for shits and giggles. Quite how doing something once correlates with an endorsement of it I don't know.
                Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Sorry, I was just paraphrasing. I don't do them or coach them as I don't find them to be particularly effective for anything other than getting better at the wall sit - it's not a good measure of strength or function and doesn't transfer very well into other movements.
                  This is kind of true for any isometric though, right, like a planche or an iron cross? Of course those are such hard positions in the first place that it does mark incredible strength.

It could be functional if you ever have to brace against a wall or something to give someone a boost? : )

Maybe the last thing people need is something that isolates the quads... I only plan on doing them once a week or so, just as a test of muscular endurance, and for funsies.

Comment

Originally posted by sjmc View Post
                    This is kind of true for any isometric though, right, like a planche or an iron cross? Of course those are such hard positions in the first place that it does mark incredible strength.

It could be functional if you ever have to brace against a wall or something to give someone a boost? : )

Maybe the last thing people need is something that isolates the quads... I only plan on doing them once a week or so, just as a test of muscular endurance, and for funsies.
                    That's cool - it's good to have challenges. I'm definitely not opposed to isometric strength I just think there are more effective ways to build it. And, in my experience, isometric strength is best gained through increased loading rather than increased time.
                    Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

That's cool - it's good to have challenges. I'm definitely not opposed to isometric strength I just think there are more effective ways to build it. And, in my experience, isometric strength is best gained through increased loading rather than increased time.
                      Gotcha. I guess one could do weighted wall sits, too, but I probably won't. It'd be nice if there were progressions as with other bodyweight exercises, but I can't think of anything other than one-legged sits. (or maybe smaller angles, but I have no idea if that's actually a good idea or not).

Anyway, thank you for the feedback

Comment

You could try holding a parallel squat for time - that would be way better!
                        Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Thanks for being weird and referencing an old post I made. I was never proud of my 25 minute plank, it was just something I did for shits and giggles. Quite how doing something once correlates with an endorsement of it I don't know.
                          I didn't "look up" anything, the link to the plank thread was included in the original post of this thread. I read them both.

Either way, I probably came across too confrontational.

Quite often I see people in threads who could benefit from just standing up once a day. I believe there is some benefit to doing a wall sit challenge absolutely. For you, seeing how long you could plank was for "shits and giggles", sounds beneficial to me.

I realize that doing a wall sit isn't going to help your MMA clients much, and I agree, holding a parallel squat would be better, but if you take a sedentary couch potato off of his couch, and onto the wall for even a few minutes three times a day, you could be making a big difference to him or her.

Every journey has its first steps.
                          "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Comment

Wall sits - great for ski conditioning - yes better than squats in my experience if done right.

Comment

Originally posted by itchy166 View Post
                              I didn't "look up" anything, the link to the plank thread was included in the original post of this thread. I read them both.

Either way, I probably came across too confrontational.

Quite often I see people in threads who could benefit from just standing up once a day. I believe there is some benefit to doing a wall sit challenge absolutely. For you, seeing how long you could plank was for "shits and giggles", sounds beneficial to me.

I realize that doing a wall sit isn't going to help your MMA clients much, and I agree, holding a parallel squat would be better, but if you take a sedentary couch potato off of his couch, and onto the wall for even a few minutes three times a day, you could be making a big difference to him or her.

Every journey has its first steps.
                              You are so far off the mark. I work with everyone from paraplegics all the way to elite athletes so please don't suggest that my advice and opinion is only relevant to people that are already fit.

I completely agree that getting people off the couch is important, irrespective of their current fitness level. But taking them off the couch to get them doing a wall sit isn't a good first step. I just don't hold with the anything is better than nothing idea. My general opinion is that adding volume or time to workouts isn't a great way to approach it. Far better to take a movement pattern and progress it through variation or loading rather than adding more and more of it.
                              Brute Force Sandbags

Comment

Working...
                              X