No announcement yet.

Does walking directly improve fitness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second and third on the overthinking. I walk 15 to 20 miles a week (not including incidental walking). I don't worry about heart-rate, etc... That's what the sprint is for.

This is one instance where the WWGD scenario works. Groks walked a lot to get from point A to point B, sprinted and lifted occassionally. IMO, jogging or even fast-walking are unnatural.

Comment

Walking, like other exercise, can help you achieve a number of important health benefits. Walking is a form of exercise accessible to just about everybody. It's safe, simple and doesn't require practice.

Comment

I walk anything between 3 miles and 10 miles a day.Cloer to 10 weather permitted.I use a Fitbit to track how many steps and miles I've done.I live beside the sea so love being out in the fresh air.
        April 2012--- 9st 7lbs
        October 2012-----8st 4lbs.
        Now maintaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          Not much difference between 55% and 75% except increasing fat usage over glucose usage as your intensity gets towards the lower end.

Humans evolved walking. Sure there are some fitness measures that come from it, but most of the improvements gained from a daily walk are not measurable as they have to do with proprioceptive feedback loops, neurology, and general health of the entire system.

But like Einstein said "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." So don't miss the forest for the trees when your talking about movement (particularly walking) and fitness.
          I like this explanation.

I don't have anything to add about the 55% vs 75% heart rate, but it's clear that walking is good for you no matter how you do it. I think doing things that we enjoy (like walking outdoors instead of on a treadmill) are important to our health in ways that can't be measured.

One of the things I always have in my mind is how our feet function as a 'second heart'.

Circulatory System & The Second Heart | The Vein Treatment Center

'There are two systems of veins at work in the legs: the deep system and the superficial system. The deep system veins are of a large diameter and are situated close to the bone, surrounded by muscle. The superficial system veins are located in the fat tissue under the skin, and are visible at times. These two systems meet at two junctions, one at the groin and the other behind the knee. They also meet through a series of connecting veins called perforators.

Blood moves within the venous system because of the heart’s residual pumping force, the negative pressure in the veins created while breathing, as well as the contraction of the muscles in the calf and foot – a muscle-vein system often referred to as the second heart.'

Comment

Working...
          X