Severe DOMS after Crossfit WODs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
    sb, you're right on. It seems like when we're focusing on something like clean and jerks or burpees and they are incorporated into the WOD for a week straight, I adjust very quickly and can recover from that, no problemmo. But throw an entirely new workout at me every day for 3 days straight, and it's brutal. And on that note, it seems that going to 2 or 3 classes on consecutive days is easier than spreading them apart and prolonging the agony.

Saying that exercising for 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a week is overtraining is quite a stretch. I'd also like to say that I'm not showing any other symptoms of overtraining, such as fatigue, insomnia, or chronic hunger, or lack of motivation. Nutrition is the likely culprit, and that's what I was asking for advise on. Maybe I should clarify and say that I train fasted for at least 6 hours and usually wait about an hour to eat. Please don't tell me to eat solid food before either, it makes me upchuck.

Well, there's your problem. You need to eat some food after you work out. You should have a snack a few hours before hand too. If it took you this long to say that you don't eat food... hmm.... I wonder what else you're leaving out... if you want nutrition advice, it would be beneficial for people to read what you normally eat. "Paleo" or "Primal" tells us absolutely nothing about your nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbyJ View Post
      Well, there's your problem. You need to eat some food after you work out. You should have a snack a few hours before hand too. If it took you this long to say that you don't eat food... hmm.... I wonder what else you're leaving out... if you want nutrition advice, it would be beneficial for people to read what you normally eat. "Paleo" or "Primal" tells us absolutely nothing about your nutrition.
      Nothing wrong with training fasted or waiting over an hour till after she trains to eat. Actually waiting an hour after a strenuous workout is likely to maximize growth hormone anyhow. Heck I do the same. The higher my intensity of work the more likely I am to wait on eating. As long as she's getting the nutrition necessary in her meals when it does come time to eat this shouldn't present a problem.

Comment

I agree with what some others have said: I think there's a muscle imbalance or some kind of wonky proprioception issues going on. You should not be that sore after 7 months of doing this. Unless you're overtraining (which I agree with you that you're not), all you should get is that first 7-10 days of occasional DOMS while your body adjusts, and then you should be good. Chronic, debilitating DOMS means something in your body is not working the way it should, either muscle-wise or nutrition-wise.

A physical therapist could probably help shed some light on this.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          With any exercise program that has me do something totally different every time so that I don't exercise the same muscles each week, I end up in a situation where every day is like brand new all over again and I end up always being sore. It's like the brief little bit of movement isn't enough to stimulate lasting strength. It just makes me sore, wears off, then it's so long until the same movement comes around again, that it's like I've never done it before. I don't know if that's what it IS exactly, but that's how it FEELS to me. It sounds to me like the OP is describing something similar, but I could be wrong.
          Originally posted by SophieScreams View Post
          sb, you're right on. It seems like when we're focusing on something like clean and jerks or burpees and they are incorporated into the WOD for a week straight, I adjust very quickly and can recover from that, no problemmo. But throw an entirely new workout at me every day for 3 days straight, and it's brutal. And on that note, it seems that going to 2 or 3 classes on consecutive days is easier than spreading them apart and prolonging the agony.
          This is exactly what I said in my first reply. Frequent, high-intensity training with novel exercises is a prescription for muscle soreness.

It's also Crossfit in a nutshell.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
            Nothing wrong with training fasted or waiting over an hour till after she trains to eat. Actually waiting an hour after a strenuous workout is likely to maximize growth hormone anyhow. Heck I do the same. The higher my intensity of work the more likely I am to wait on eating. As long as she's getting the nutrition necessary in her meals when it does come time to eat this shouldn't present a problem.
            You are on point here. The idea that one must eat immediately after a workout is nonsense. It was propagated by the supplement industry to sell protein powders and the like. I bought into it (literally) for a long time. Not anymore. When you are done a hard workout, your body is in a state of WTF just happened. Kind of a state of shock and there are all sorts of chemical reactions going on, waste products being removed etc. You are not ready for food at this point. What I do now is simply wait until I'm hungry. Then I know that its time to start feeding the recovery.

I also train fasted almost all the time unless I'm forced to train later in the day for some reason. It doesn't affect my workout in any way whatsoever.

Comment

I haven't tried CF, but I have weight trained a good portion of my life. Your body is telling you there is something wrong. You shouldn't have soreness in a muscle group more than a day or so after you work it. Either you are overdoing it or your body is missing something to repair.

Comment

One thing I didn't see mentioned (sorry if I missed it) was ensuring that you're getting adequate protein for muscle building and maintenance. I tracked my diet for a few weeks when I transitioned to Primal and was surprised that my protein intake was below what was recommended. Once I upped it, recovery was better. I've been doing You Are Your Own Gym, not CF, but there were some intense workouts (like learning one-legged squats and one-arm pushups) with several-day-long DOMS. The other thing that sbhikes touched on that was crucial for me was enough sleep. Which goes along with work stress--if I've got a hectic work schedule, I just don't work out as hard--can't do it all at full intensity! Good luck with it.

Comment

Your nutrition is lacking.

Describe your diet.

What do you eat following your workout?

What (roughly) is your carb/fat/protein ratio?

How is your omega 3/6 ratio?

How is your sleep?

How is your water consumption?

How do you look, feel and perform outside of the muscle soreness window?

baseline supplements I advocate to athletes:

zinc, magnesium, iodine, vitamin D; consider BCAAs prior to working out. It seems like you could be catabolizing muscle if after 7 months you have these symptoms. Are you underfeeding yourself?

How often do you do crossfit? What's your box's programming like (link to their site)? (lots of metcons?) How are you programming your rest days?
                  ad astra per aspera

Comment

+1 on the BCAAs; taking them before and during my workouts has made a big difference for me in both performance and recovery.

Also (god I hate to possibly start this shitstorm in this thread but it's valid), are you eating enough carbs? I do a big sweet potato post-heavy lifting session. I would be sore and tired as hell if I didn't.

Comment

What heatseeker said; also I forgot to mention adding more potassium and iron. Sardines, and a banana + black strap molasses coconut milk lime juice smoothie after WODing will get you plenty of both.
                      ad astra per aspera

Comment

Daaaamn, that sounds good, TheFastCat! I'm gonna do that as soon as I'm done with this no sugar/no fruit challenge we're currently on (it sucks, in case you were wondering).

Comment

Originally posted by Forever Young View Post
                          You are on point here. The idea that one must eat immediately after a workout is nonsense. It was propagated by the supplement industry to sell protein powders and the like. I bought into it (literally) for a long time. Not anymore. When you are done a hard workout, your body is in a state of WTF just happened. Kind of a state of shock and there are all sorts of chemical reactions going on, waste products being removed etc. You are not ready for food at this point. What I do now is simply wait until I'm hungry. Then I know that its time to start feeding the recovery.

I also train fasted almost all the time unless I'm forced to train later in the day for some reason. It doesn't affect my workout in any way whatsoever.
                          If that works for you guys, that's great. Look at it from the perspective of someone who doesn't eat for 7+ hours at a time in the day, and throws a high intensity workout in the middle.. then is sore with horrible DOMS after. There's a lot of things it could be (we don't know what her nutrition is like, after all), and not eating enough food could be one of the reasons. I usually listen to my body too & don't eat unless I'm hungry, but whatever this lady's doin' aint workin'!

Comment

it's just Rhabdo the Clown; work through it...

Comment

I get a lot of DOMS, too, and it matters little what or when I eat. I can't believe how sore I am just from the bench press the other day and I've been eating like a hero these last few days hoping to make progress on this problem.
                              Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Stretch!
                                I started trying to just do the Primal Essential movements for the lift heavy things component but found I had extreme DOMS after doing a heap of squats and push-ups. It seems I have solved the problem for myself though. I am now doing a structured weight workout that involves specific stretches (mainly static) to warm-up and cool-down. I don't get any major soreness anymore. I know static stretches are not a part of the PB fitness routine but they have really helped me.
                                Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X